Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Texas Arm Patch

Options
  • 08-12-2014 5:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭

Alright folks,

I was watching Lone Survivor there and the dude Marcus Luttrell(played by Mark Wahlberg) was wearing a Texan flag(velcro attached) where the USA flag usually is on the arm of the uniform.

Question- Are people from Texas in the army/navy/airforce allowed to do this? Or is it allowed in special forces?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,131 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

You can't wear something like that when you are in garrison or near the flagpole. Downrange, out in the sticks, wear what works or what your rank will let you get away with.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Doctor14

Just about every Army has a set list of what can be worn and what can't. But this is usually within barracks or ceremonial. I have seen Irish Army wearing unauthorised patches "in the field" - usually blood group or first aid stuff.

Then there are patches known as "Morale Patches". Some people like to wear them, some don't, but again, it is in the field that it is done.

eg
    military-morale-01.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Dave Joyce

OP not sure if you're interested but Lt Michael Murphy used to wear a Ladder 43/Engine 53 Arm Patch and had one on during Operation Red Wings. If you don't already know about him, he was one very interesting guy and well worth a read.

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/KANDAHAR-TALIZOMBIE-WHACKER-PRO-TEAM-SEAL-ENGINE-53-LADDER-43-FIREFIGHTER-SSI-/00/s/NDg3WDU3NA==/z/~WsAAMXQHeBSFolm/$%28KGrHqJ,!mIFICgG+G+!BSFollKJO!~~60_3.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭CZ 453

Dave Joyce wrote: »
    OP not sure if you're interested but Lt Michael Murphy used to wear a Ladder 43/Engine 53 Arm Patch and had one on during Operation Red Wings. If you don't already know about him, he was one very interesting guy and well worth a read.

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/KANDAHAR-TALIZOMBIE-WHACKER-PRO-TEAM-SEAL-ENGINE-53-LADDER-43-FIREFIGHTER-SSI-/00/s/NDg3WDU3NA==/z/~WsAAMXQHeBSFolm/$%28KGrHqJ,!mIFICgG+G+!BSFollKJO!~~60_3.JPG

Thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭ChicagoJoe

Just wondering, if a guy wore the Confederate flag as a patch or indeed had it as a tattoo, would it be considered a racist symbol these days ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Offhand, on the tattoos, is there a new US Army policy on banning such if visible from below the elbow?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,131 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

That's a bone of some contention, no tattoos visible on the lower arms/ legs and above the neck.

Some very harsh rules, especially in light of the last decade of fighting done by people who joined up to fight, when the rules were different. IMO, it's mostly part of a continuing effort to force people out of the military; although with the uptick in IS's activities, they are backing away somewhat from their previous stance.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,284 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

CZ 453 wrote: »
    Alright folks,

I was watching Lone Survivor there and the dude Marcus Luttrell(played by Mark Wahlberg) was wearing a Texan flag(velcro attached) where the USA flag usually is on the arm of the uniform.

Question- Are people from Texas in the army/navy/airforce allowed to do this? Or is it allowed in special forces?

Thanks

Navy regulations proscribe no patch to be on the right side as far as I know, so as long as the morale patch isn't offensive, I don't see any particular problem.

I'm as guilty. Note family coat of arms over where the nametag goes.
    legionntm.jpg

Advertisement