Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Intreo/Momentum Information Meeting?

Options
  • 08-12-2014 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I received a letter today about an upcoming 23 week Momentum course starting in February, which is completely not within my interests/skills whatsoever. On the letter (in red bold print) it states that I have to attend an information meeting in a local hotel for potential applicants.

Has anyone here had experience with something like this or attended one of the meetings?
    I'm worried in case I'm obligated to have apply to the course.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭king2

I got a list of 5 courses and a statement that unless I picked one my payment would be affected. I rang my local swo to ask in what way would my payment be affected and they said it would be stopped for 9 weeks. I have to attend an Introductory meeting and aptitude test this friday. I have no interest in the course either, it sounds like completely useless waffle.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,188 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

So you have to pick 1 of 5 courses that you have no interest in or theyll cut you off? Can't believe there resorting too these kinda tactics! What a joke .

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Durdenism

In the letter I got there was a leaflet on the upcoming course and then the letter telling me to attend the information meeting or risk reduction on payments if I don't. I'm not sure what this means though or what I'm expected to do once I do attend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

Reduction in payment
    When you apply for a jobseeker’s payment you will be asked to sign a Record of Mutual Commitments (pdf) which explains your rights and responsibilities while you are getting your jobseeker’s payment from the Department of Social Protection (DSP).

Depending on your personal profile, you may be given an appointment for a further meeting with a DSP case officer. At this meeting your case officer will discuss your options with you and agree your Personal Progression Plan to prepare you to find employment. You will get ongoing advice and support to help you meet the goals in your Personal Progression Plan. You can read about the employment services the Department of Social Protection offers to jobseekers.

If you do not keep to the steps agreed in the Record of Mutual Commitments and the other conditions of your jobseeker’s payment, your payment can be reduced and eventually stopped altogether. Specifically you can be paid a penalty rate of JA or JB if you refuse or fail to:
    * Attend meetings requested by the DSP or
    * Participate in an appropriate employment support scheme, work
    experience or training

If you have been placed on a penalty rate and you continue not to meet the conditions you can be disqualified from your jobseeker’s payment for up to 9 weeks. You cannot be disqualified immediately – a penalty rate must apply first for at least 21 days.
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/unemployed_people/conditions_for_getting_a_jobseekers_payment.html

Balagan wrote: »
    Reduction in payment
    When you apply for a jobseeker’s payment you will be asked to sign a Record of Mutual Commitments (pdf) which explains your rights and responsibilities while you are getting your jobseeker’s payment from the Department of Social Protection (DSP).

Depending on your personal profile, you may be given an appointment for a further meeting with a DSP case officer. At this meeting your case officer will discuss your options with you and agree your Personal Progression Plan to prepare you to find employment. You will get ongoing advice and support to help you meet the goals in your Personal Progression Plan. You can read about the employment services the Department of Social Protection offers to jobseekers.

If you do not keep to the steps agreed in the Record of Mutual Commitments and the other conditions of your jobseeker’s payment, your payment can be reduced and eventually stopped altogether. Specifically you can be paid a penalty rate of JA or JB if you refuse or fail to:
    * Attend meetings requested by the DSP or
    * Participate in an appropriate employment support scheme, work
    experience or training

If you have been placed on a penalty rate and you continue not to meet the conditions you can be disqualified from your jobseeker’s payment for up to 9 weeks. You cannot be disqualified immediately – a penalty rate must apply first for at least 21 days.
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/unemployed_people/conditions_for_getting_a_jobseekers_payment.html

"agree your Personal Progression Plan to prepare you to find employment"

so this means force you to do a course you have no interest in does it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

king2 wrote: »
    "agree your Personal Progression Plan to prepare you to find employment"

so this means force you to do a course you have no interest in does it?

No, they can't force you to do a course but they can apply the penalty rate and later the cessation of payment for up to 9 weeks. This penalty system, which is also in force in the UK, has been heavily criticized http://www.limerickpost.ie/2014/10/30/unemployed-in-limerick-are-harassed-by-governments-dole-cut-threat/ but as this site is only for information on state benefits we'd best stick with what is actually happening and the problem posed now.

Do any of the five courses they wrote to you about seem doable at all? If you are eligible for any other course, part time Education Option, CE Scheme/JobBridge/Springboard etc., you might find something more a bit more interesting and suitable. If there were any you'd really like and for which you were eligible no doubt you would be doing them already but if even one was better than the five courses offered it would help you avoid the penalties.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Durdenism

What if you already have a level 8/9 and cannot find work, what use is it doing a Level 5 Fetac?

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Applause

I had one of these meetings before, showed my action plan from my local employment office and was gracefully excused. Now I'm doing a course that I love in my desired field. :)

Applause wrote: »
    I had one of these meetings before, showed my action plan from my local employment office and was gracefully excused. Now I'm doing a course that I love in my desired field. :)

How do you mean, isnt it the local employment office or "intreo" that makes us apply for the momentum courses?

Advertisement