Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do I just need more RAM?

Options
  • 08-12-2014 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭

Hi, I have a MacBook Pro 2009, with 500GB HD and 4GB RAM and since I've moved to Yosemite that spinning beach ball of death appears nearly every time I click onto something. Apps staying bouncing for ages before they open and everything generally hangs. I'm not sure if I need to get more RAM or if there is something more serious wrong with the machine. Grateful if anyone could suggest some tests (I've reset PRAM and SMC) and explain the results to me. The MPB is nearly unusable. Help!

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

• Registered Users Posts: 5,241 ✭✭✭Elessar

4GB Ram is quite low, however first on the list for an upgrade would be the HDD. Get a decent solid state drive in there and it'll be like a new machine.

http://www.memoryc.com/storage/ssd.html#page=0

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭garrincha62

Thanks, I'll try a clean install first. Will check when I get home if I have an SSD.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭barryj

If you can up the RAM you should see a big difference. 4GB is not sufficient any more, even for just basic web browsing use. Recently upgraded a 2008 iMac from 4GB to 6GB, which is the max supported by that model, and the difference was chalk and cheese - from unusable to perfectly acceptable in five minutes.

Upgrading from your spinning disk to an SSD will help to varying degrees, depending what you do with the machine, but it's a little more complex to do, and you'll have to either clone your existing drive, restore from backup, or start with a fresh OS install. It'll also likely cost you more than the memory, depending on what size you need.

I'd suggest doing a memory upgrade first and see how that works for you.

- barry

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

barryj wrote: »
    If you can up the RAM you should see a big difference. 4GB is not sufficient any more, even for just basic web browsing use.
    I disagree with this. My Mac is Dual-Core with 4 GB of RAM and an SSD. I can multi task with Eclipse, Chrome, Matlab (running simulations), SublimeText and intermittent Java and C++ compiling without any slowdowns issue.

I've often had situations where my virtual memory is at 11 GB with the full 4 GB of RAM is full and my machine is still fully responsive.

Throwing more resources at something can paper over the cracks. Its much better to analyse the problem beforehand.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Have a look at activity monitor to see whether physical memory is an issue.

Have a 2010 i3 myself and Yosemite hasn't changed behaviour much if any. But I had 8gb all along.

Thanks for all your responses. Here is a screenshot of the activity monitor with only Safari open. Would this suggest that more would help? To me it looks like she's using all the juice.

Thanks for all your responses. Here is a screenshot of the activity monitor with only Safari open. Would this suggest that more would help? To me it looks like she's using all the juice.

Yup that's it. All used up. You can upgrade an older MacBook for not too much money to 8gb not sure whether 16 is possible but it might. You'll find all you need to know on Google and it's quite easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭barryj

Kavrocks wrote: »
    I disagree with this. My Mac is Dual-Core with 4 GB of RAM and an SSD. I can multi task with Eclipse, Chrome, Matlab (running simulations), SublimeText and intermittent Java and C++ compiling without any slowdowns issue.
    I'm just stating my experience with a similar vintage Mac. There's a big difference between 4GB with SSD and 4GB with traditional HD. Mine went from unusable with only safari open, to feeling brand new again.
    Kavrocks wrote: »
    I've often had situations where my virtual memory is at 11 GB with the full 4 GB of RAM is full and my machine is still fully responsive.

Swap paging in and out with SSD is going to be hugely faster than with traditional HD, so you can get away with less memory, but if you've the option to up the memory, it's a simpler upgrade and I think you'll get more bang for buck in most use cases.

You just can have enough RAM. Other things may mitigate the problem but RAM is where its at.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭mickoc

I have same spec as you and same problems. I bought an ssd from America for just over €100 and the difference is amazing.

Put in 8GB of RAM. Seems to be running a lot faster. Still a little bit of BBOD. Seems like a new machine so far...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 mtmccallion

I have a 2008 MacBook (4,1) which is only 2GB RAM and can barely open web pages at the moment let alone do anything else. Its long overdue a service/upgrade! Was almost ripped off by an Apple Service Providers in Cork before (thankfully got a second opinion!) so just want to ask if anyone has got any advice on shops in Dublin? Have been looking at Right Click and Mactivate.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,146 ✭✭✭Passenger

I have a 2008 MacBook (4,1) which is only 2GB RAM and can barely open web pages at the moment let alone do anything else. Its long overdue a service/upgrade! Was almost ripped off by an Apple Service Providers in Cork before (thankfully got a second opinion!) so just want to ask if anyone has got any advice on shops in Dublin? Have been looking at Right Click and Mactivate.

First port of call is to definitely max out the RAM. 2GB is nowhere near enough for system requirements. I think 8GB is the maximum a 2008 MacBook can take but have a look on Crucial first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 mtmccallion

Hi Passenger - oh god I know the 2GB is shocking at this point. Don't know how I have managed as long as I have with it. I'll run that website when I get home from work. Thanks for the link for it as I am going in to this totally blind....hence the reason I need a shop to do this for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,146 ✭✭✭Passenger

Ah right. Sure replacing RAM on a MacBook is easy-peasy. All you need is a screwdriver. It will save you a few spondulicks too. ;)

As for shops in Dublin, Mactivate have a decent reputation but you'll be paying them well for their services. As I said, first upgrade the RAM (whatever the maximum is for your MacBook) and take it from there.

Advertisement