Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Broadband Plan and rural operators

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

I suspect Comreg doesn't much care what anyone thinks about anything, except perhaps Mobile operators and Spectrum licence Auctions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭clohamon

bealtine wrote: »
    Comreg seems to want to know what rural operators think

So have issued a "Call for Input on Regulatory Implications" on the plan

http://www.comreg.ie/_fileupload/publications/ComReg14126.pdf

They're just at sea. If it hasn't been done by Ofcom already, they don't know where to start. Rural broadband is a new frontier for ComReg.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

clohamon wrote: »
    Rural broadband is a new frontier for ComReg.

Yes, after all the GBS was sabotaged,
    The NBS was only subsidies to a Mobile Phone operator (no Broadband).
    The Rural scheme after NBS was sabotaged.

ANY real Broadband is a new frontier for an organisation totally focused on the Mobile Phone Industry and how to levy revenue from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭nathan184

Has the minimum speed for the National Broadband Plan been defined yet?

I am in a blue area on this map but Eircom have told me there is no upgrade planned to our line (currently 5Mbit down). I'm wondering if that means I would be upgraded by the NBP instead of commercial operators?

This article quotes 30Mbit being the minimum but that was in last November

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

If you're in a blue area, then someone (not necessarily eircom) has told the Department that they plan to offer you at least 30M by the end of next year.

• Advertisement

nathan184 wrote: »
    Has the minimum speed for the National Broadband Plan been defined yet?

I am in a blue area on this map but Eircom have told me there is no upgrade planned to our line (currently 5Mbit down). I'm wondering if that means I would be upgraded by the NBP instead of commercial operators?

This article quotes 30Mbit being the minimum but that was in last November

Try cross checking your area on the irelandOffline map (tick the VDSL option), there might be some extra information on the eircom upgrade schedule. If you're in a blue area it should be either be currently receiving 30Mb/s (down) or due to be upgraded sometime between now and December 2016.

It's possible - but unlikely - that the planned upgrade might be by some operator other than eircom.

You will not be upgraded by the NBP unless the operator (whoever they are) has failed to deliver on the Dec '16 commitment. At what point that call will be made is anybody's guess.

Contact the department using the 'contact us' tab on the map page and see what happens.

Thanks guys. I'll try contacting some other operators to see if they have plans.

The frustrating thing is there is an enabled VDSL cabinet 300m from my house but Eircom say it doesn't serve the houses on my road (the cabinet is right across the main road from us).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,918 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Check this map or contact Eircom. Their boards forum is a decent place to get some kind of answer.

The map is only an indication. I live in the middle of a blue area but have been told there's no plan to upgrade me above 5Mb

• Registered Users Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭rob808

nathan184 wrote: »
    Check this map or contact Eircom. Their boards forum is a decent place to get some kind of answer.

The map is only an indication. I live in the middle of a blue area but have been told there's no plan to upgrade me above 5Mb
    wow that crazy why that how come you only get 5mb if your in a blue area I'm in a NBP area and I get 4mb we're screwed if they go the wireless route again Fw ok but 4g and LTE are not broadband.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

What or when or how is the nbs going to tackle the amber areas ? (The vast majority of the country)

fergus1001 wrote: »
    What or when or how is the nbs going to tackle the amber areas ? (The vast majority of the country)

The NBS is assumed to be provisioned with fibre backhaul, and the preliminary view of DCENR is that it should deliver minimum access speeds of 30Mbs/10Mbs. That is about all we know about the 'what'.

As for the 'when', it is due to go to tender late 2015/early 2016. First deployments are due to take place in 2016. It is scheduled to take 5 years.

The 'how' is unresolved in the following areas: specification, access technologies, ownership, regulation, procurement.

The department have recently employed four sets of consultants to help them with this task

Advertisement