Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The King is dead...

Options
  • 08-12-2014 11:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭

RIP Mick Barry, the mighty man who lofted a 16 oz. road-bowl over the Viaduct on St. Patrick's Day 1955. He was possibly the greatest bowler ever, and passed away peacefully on Saturday at the age of 95. There was some amount of Baymish Biy drank up and down Barracka, particularly Moks. G'wan de Mick bah!! :cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭LeNNoX

I never realised he was so talented, what a legend.

"What awards he might have won had Ból-Chumann existed when he was 10 rather than 35, we can only speculate. What international accolades he would have amassed had the European championships commenced before 1969, when he was already 50, is another what if. He still managed a European gold and silver medal."

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/barry-the-greatest-bowler-of-all-time-301449.html
    What a sight it must have been to witness that bowl flying over the Viaduct

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mick_Barry_%28bowler%29

Very cool that a Road is named after him + his honorary degree from UCC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

My neighbour road-bowled for Ireland and knew Mick very well. He was a bit of a boy from what I heard!! RIP sir...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

rip a cork legend.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭P.lane78

Just read the irish examiner article ...what a legend !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭bogman

Mick had another talent unknown to most. he was the only man I know that could properly replace and tune a spoked motorcycle wheel, Motorcycle shops taking in crashed bikes used to send the damaged wheels to Mick to be repaired, remember seeing him doing this back in the day before alloy wheels became the norm.
    RideWright_80Spoke_Cross_Lace-1000.jpg

Mick developed Alzheimers in later life
    RIP Mick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

bogman wrote: »
    Mick...

Two things I didn't know about him, g'man Cha. Once more, RIP Mighty Mick! :cool:

Advertisement