Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stolen From In Work

Options
  • 07-12-2014 10:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭

I work in a shop and today a man (witness by us leaving rapidly) walked into our stockroom area and stole my purse, my phone and two other peoples' purses. We were not supplied lockers so have to leave our stuff in the stockroom, unprotected.

The owner of the shop has placed the blame on us not being vigilant but we were not supplied with even a locker to put our things, not even a hook to hang our coats up on. Just had to leave them draped around the stock room, there is no staff area.

Statemnets have been given to the guards, cards cancelled etc. The owner has not been helpful at all. Are we entitled to some sort of insurance claim or anything?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭berger89

Yeah you should be entitled!

Though your manager could make the argument that it was never an issue before and that staff members never asked for lockers etc.

If it was me, I'd be raging and looking for the owner to compensate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

berger89 wrote: »
    Yeah you should be entitled!

Though your manager could make the argument that it was never an issue before and that staff members never asked for lockers etc.

If it was me, I'd be raging and looking for the owner to compensate.

Why would the employer be responsible for employees personal items? The owner would have contents insurance but it would be the company's contents, not the employees. I do feel sorry for you OP, I'm just not sure that the employer is at fault here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

A good employer should provide a safe place for personal items. But are they liable for theft of personal items? I doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

The owner sounds like a bit of a d**k to be honest, in future keep your phone and a small purse in your pockets and if he doesn't like that then tell him to like it or lump, you got robbed once or provide a lock up for staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭NotaSheep

I was just wondering, how come that Joe Public had access to storeroom, is that not locked?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

NotaSheep wrote: »
    I was just wondering, how come that Joe Public had access to storeroom, is that not locked?

My question also, Id imagine the owner would be rightly p1ssed at whoever left the stockroom open and allowed a randomer just walk in and nick stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭danslevent

Stockroom doesn't actually have a door that closes, just a stair case leading up to near the entrance of the shop.

Lockers were asked for before but nothing ever came of it.

The insurance probably won't cover employees possessions, nothing belonging to the shop was taken...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

You're probably required to leave your personal items in the back if you work in retail. There's a stateable claim for negligence given the lack of lockers, but there's going to be some blame shifted back to you as you should be vigilant for this sort of thing.

Practically speaking though are you really going to sue your employer over this?

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭danslevent

Not sue my employer, just seeing where I can go from here

danslevent wrote: »
    Not sue my employer, just seeing where I can go from here

You can raise an official grievance, possibly progress that if it's not dealt, which is just another legal route. I'm not sure what you can do if you're not willing to use some sort of enforcement. You're boss has made his/her position very clear it seems.

I'm not countenancing the legal option, it's a sledgehammer to crack a nut but that's about your only option as far as I can see it.

I'd let it go and set about working for someone that isn't a d!ck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭Shelflife

You're probably required to leave your personal items in the back if you work in retail. There's a stateable claim for negligence given the lack of lockers, but there's going to be some blame shifted back to you as you should be vigilant for this sort of thing.

Practically speaking though are you really going to sue your employer over this?

Cant see how lack of lockers has anything to do with it. If you bring a personal item into work that you are not allowed to use/have on you during work hours then leave it at home!

If you cycle/drive into work the employer isnt obliged to provide safe parking areas.

Shelflife wrote: »
    Cant see how lack of lockers has anything to do with it. If you bring a personal item into work that you are not allowed to use/have on you during work hours then leave it at home!

If you cycle/drive into work the employer isnt obliged to provide safe parking areas.

No but it's more complicated although to be fair I'm imputing certain aspects from my retail career.

If you bring something in with you you're expected to keep it safe, simple. Unless of course there is an intervening act. Such act could be a policy of No phones or wallets on the shop floor.

Taking the phone, although its debatable, a phone is not required for the day to day running of your life at work. It could be left home - it would need to be looked at on a case by case basis. The wallet however is a different story; everyone needs money/leap card etc during their working day. I don't think anyone with any common sense would dispute that. By telling people they must not have wallets on the shop floor you open yourself up to making the most basic effort to ensure employees wallets are safe.

Taking ones car/bike etc. it's rare enough these are on the actual premises and unheard of (expect in the cases where transport is required during the day for work purposes, at which point the situation changes) for there to be a policy on how you get to work.

I hope that clears up my reasoning. As I stress though other than an official grievance there is very little the OP can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭blindsider

It's not unreasonable to expect a secure area for coats, bags and personal belongings. Many shops etc provide this. If the owner isn't being reasonable, I can see the relationship deteriorating.

Are you in a union?

It's all about about 'give and take' - and the owner will be looking for someone to work extra hours, cover a shift etc etc over Xmas.

I'd be looking for a new job after Xmas - especially if lockers/secure area aren't provided.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,730 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Its not unreasonable for insurance to cover items inside the store.

You can be sure if it was something of his stolen he would cover it under it.

He sounds like a self serving idiot tbh. And yes he should be supplying lockers thats reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭Shelflife

listermint wrote: »
    Its not unreasonable for insurance to cover items inside the store.

You can be sure if it was something of his stolen he would cover it under it.

He sounds like a self serving idiot tbh. And yes he should be supplying lockers thats reasonable.

No doubt that a secure area should be provided, but you cant legally insure something that isnt belong to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Shelflife wrote: »
    How do you intend on getting into and out of work, and also paying for said things, as well as paying for lunch? Most shops don't allow you to have your own wallet when at the cashiers, for anti-theft reasons.

=-=

If your store is part of a chain, raise it above his level, asking for lockers.

As for the stairs, consider asking for a gate/door at the top, citing security reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 GladWrap

Yes, you are entitled to make a claim.
    If his insurance is up to date, he can process it via them.
    This is standard practice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

GladWrap wrote: »
    Yes, you are entitled to make a claim.
    If his insurance is up to date, he can process it via them.
    This is standard practice.

Owners insurance covers contents belonging to insured. OP could make a claim if insurance extends to employees belongings, otherwise the insurance company would not be obliged to pay out as the contents of her bag to not belong to the insured.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 GladWrap

Normally, a commercial enterprise insurance policy does cover items belonging to people (that are necessary for their job) required to be on the premises at the time of the incident. Aside from that, the employer has a required duty of care to provide an avenue by which to secure belongings of those in his employ that are necessary to them attending (eg. keys, wallet, purse, anything you use in your job etc). More ways to skin a cat on this one.

Ultimately, yes, the worker has rights pertaining to the loss of his/her assets while lawfully employed at the premises from which those assets were unlawfully taken.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

is there video

• Advertisement
Advertisement