Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help needed with renting / letting

Options
  • 07-12-2014 9:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Because of work I need to move to Ireland, now here in Holland we have official companies that rent houses / apartments. Letting a room is mostly private people that have a room left.

I was reading a bit and the owner can just kick you out with no reason? or when you have friends over you need to tell? or isn't it even allowed to have friends over?

Then the deposit, we don't have anything like that on the big official companies that rent apartments, only when you rent by a private person.

The other thing is rent allowance or something like that, here in Holland everyone can apply that has its own front door, depending on how much you make a year you get it or not.

Now in Ireland I see that you won't get it when you work? is this true? so I need to pay full amount let's say 500 euro a month? and are there renting companies that does not have something like a 'land lord' but a corporation? or am I asking to much now and comparing to much with Holland?

also I'm looking for a place near HP / Leixlip, room/apartement or so if someone has tips, I don't really get the single / double rooms, do you share the room? how about your personal things, are they safe? can you leave your laptop at the desk without people using it or breaking it without permission?

I'm not used to it, that's why I have so many questions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Asmooh wrote: »
    Hi,

Because of work I need to move to Ireland, now here in Holland we have official companies that rent houses / apartments. Letting a room is mostly private people that have a room left.

I was reading a bit and the owner can just kick you out with no reason? or when you have friends over you need to tell? or isn't it even allowed to have friends over?

Then the deposit, we don't have anything like that on the big official companies that rent apartments, only when you rent by a private person.

The other thing is rent allowance or something like that, here in Holland everyone can apply that has its own front door, depending on how much you make a year you get it or not.

Now in Ireland I see that you won't get it when you work? is this true? so I need to pay full amount let's say 500 euro a month? and are there renting companies that does not have something like a 'land lord' but a corporation? or am I asking to much now and comparing to much with Holland?

also I'm looking for a place near HP / Leixlip, room/apartement or so if someone has tips, I don't really get the single / double rooms, do you share the room? how about your personal things, are they safe? can you leave your laptop at the desk without people using it or breaking it without permission?

I'm not used to it, that's why I have so many questions

I'll try answer as bed as I can.
    If you're renting a room of the owner(who also lives there), you are a licencee and not a tenant so you have less rights. This means that you can be asked to leave with much less notice than if you were renting off a landlord.

If you're renting an apartment/house and you're the only tenant, then you're entitled to peaceful enjoyment of your home so you wouldn't need to mention having friends over etc. however if you're sharing with others, it's common courtesy to let housemates know that you're having friends over in advance, so they don't get a shock when they walk in from work to find there house full of random strangers.

With regards deposit, it's usually 1 months rent. This is to protect the landlord in case you damage any of his property, beyond reasonable wear and tear. The landlord is only allowed deduct from the deposit if the damage is beyond reasonable, not if he fancies a new couch. It's a good idea to take plenty of pictures on moving in day and sign an inventory with the landlord, so as to avoid issues arising at the end of the lease. Most landlords are decent, some are bad, likewise with tenants.

Most of the rented accommodation in Ireland is privately owned, there is very few corporations involved, however some have recently entered the market.

Rent allowance is only for those who are judged to be in need of housing, are renting privately for 6 months or are on the councils waiting list. It's a grey area as to whether or not you can get it if you are working or not (they say that you may lose of you work, not will) but I'm general, if you're working you won't get it.

What type of property are you looking for. Would you rather live with the owner (has decent advantages, but some disadvantages) share with housemates, or live on your own.

When somewhere is listed as double room it means you have a room with a double bed for yourself. Same for single room, except a single bed. You wouldn't be sharing he room with anyone else, so your personal belongings should be safe.

I hope that I've answered some of your questions and any more, feel free to fire away

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Asmooh

thanks for your reply, to answer your last question: I rather live alone than with other people. but the problem is that the first year I will be living in Ireland I try to save as much money as possible so the year after that I can have a bit more fun without even thinking about money.

I don't know if I will take a second job (if that's allowed) or try to keep up my own business also (isn't going that well) or third option to do a extra study

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

In Lexslip you probably won't be sharing a room but it happens in Dublin. The ads are normally fairly explicit.

Because Ireland is Ireland and property is all privately owned you've no idea whether someone will be constantly going into your room or not. In theory they shouldn't but depends on you landlord.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Renting by yourself will probably be around the €650-€900 mark. I'd advise staying in a nearby hostel or B&B for the 1st week or so, and sharing a house with people in HP; there's usually notices in the building of people looking to rent a room. Renting a place before you see it is a very stupid idea, as the photos you see online may not be up-to-date, and won't show any problems.
    also I'm looking for a place near HP / Leixlip, room/apartement or so if someone has tips, I don't really get the single / double rooms, do you share the room?
    Single and double rooms usually describe the bed size, and the amount of space in the room, with the latter having more room. Look through www.daft.ie
    how about your personal things, are they safe? can you leave your laptop at the desk without people using it or breaking it without permission?
    Ugh. Like everywhere, some people are good, some people are assholes.

Advertisement