Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with eBay buyer...

Options
  • 07-12-2014 9:41pm
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭


    Last month, I sold a smartphone on eBay that I have bought on Amazon. I was selling it because after receiving the phone I wasn't happy with the big size and weight. I had the phone used for 2 days, and it was perfectly working. I sold it to a buyer in the UK. It's been a month the buyer was using the phone, and to my surprise, I just found a request from him requesting the return of the phone!!! I do say in my listing that I don't accept returns (unless I make a mistake in my listing or send the wrong item), however this is not the case, because it's the right item, and was working perfect. I'm just a private seller as well.
    The buyer says the item is defective, doesn't work, and added "The phone has stopped working completely and online help to reboot it does not solve it. It has not been dropped or damaged. It just stopped working altogether. It is under warranty."

    What are my rights?? I never had such problem before. How can I accept the return of the phone? Shouldn't he actually contact the manufacturer for any fault in the phone??

    Can anyone advise me what to do?


Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava


    Lehmann wrote: »
    Last month, I sold a smartphone on eBay that I have bought on Amazon. I was selling it because after receiving the phone I wasn't happy with the big size and weight. I had the phone used for 2 days, and it was perfectly working. I sold it to a buyer in the UK. It's been a month the buyer was using the phone, and to my surprise, I just found a request from him requesting the return of the phone!!! I do say in my listing that I don't accept returns (unless I make a mistake in my listing or send the wrong item), however this is not the case, because it's the right item, and was working perfect. I'm just a private seller as well.
    The buyer says the item is defective, doesn't work, and added "The phone has stopped working completely and online help to reboot it does not solve it. It has not been dropped or damaged. It just stopped working altogether. It is under warranty."

    What are my rights?? I never had such problem before. How can I accept the return of the phone? Shouldn't he actually contact the manufacturer for any fault in the phone??

    Can anyone advise me what to do?


    Unless you are a shop he has no right as was a private sale, you don't know if buyer actually damaged it.

    I would ask them to contact manufacturer, if it's apple buyer can just put the serial number on the website and see the status, other manufacturers might have similar ways to check warranty status with the serial number, if you want you can try to save the invoice from amazon as PDF and email it to him/her to print for warranty.

    I would not take it back, even if he opens a paypal dispute he would not win as item was deliver and working for a month.


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland


    I wonder had the phone been reported lost or stolen by the person you bought it from. Sometimes people do this so they can claim on their insurance.


  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Lehmann


    nava wrote: »
    Unless you are a shop he has no right as was a private sale, you don't know if buyer actually damaged it.

    I would ask them to contact manufacturer, if it's apple buyer can just put the serial number on the website and see the status, other manufacturers might have similar ways to check warranty status with the serial number, if you want you can try to save the invoice from amazon as PDF and email it to him/her to print for warranty.

    I would not take it back, even if he opens a paypal dispute he would not win as item was deliver and working for a month.

    Thank you so much for taking the time to respond to my thread. I got so worried. Indeed, we don't know if this buyer damaged the phone themselves and trying to abuse the return system on eBay. I'm just a private seller, yes. I had a chat with eBay staff early morning explaining the problem, and they said to wait until the 16th for this case to be escalated to them. I can save the invoice as PDF to help the buyer with warranty, although he actually didn't even PM me to discuss this, just started the return request. I can't accept the return at all.


  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Lehmann


    Miaireland wrote: »
    I wonder had the phone been reported lost or stolen by the person you bought it from. Sometimes people do this so they can claim on their insurance.

    It was sold to me by Amazon EU S.a.r.L, not a shop on Amazon. It was not stolen or lost. It was a brand new phone, in sealed box, spotless and stunning. :D


Advertisement