Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new job and shut down period, possible payment?

Options
  • 07-12-2014 7:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭

Hi,

I recently started a job(2 weeks ago) and as of the 12th dec they are having a mandatory unpaid shutdown period to the 5th jan. They told me about this before accepting the job and thats fine. As i have just started i dont have any holidays built up but my question is would it be possible to get paid from social for the weeks that im off. I could get a letter from my company stating dates etc. Does anyone know if it is possible to do this?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭maryk123

I don't think you will. You are not available for work you are taking an unpaid holiday. You have a finish date but you also have a return date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

You don't have holiday leave built up and won't get paid holidays. Similar to those that are on part time employment and can claim days unemployed. I think you can claim.

It would be possible for you to work for someone else on those days and are therefore available for work.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭DanDublin1982

You need to get temporary lay off papers. Its like a p45 with a return date.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭dingdangdoo22

You need to get temporary lay off papers. Its like a p45 with a return date.

can social provide these papers?

can social provide these papers?

No you should get it from your employer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭dingdangdoo22

all they gave me was a letterhead stating dates of closure etc
    they could not provide anything else.

Might do the trick. Think you're supposed to get the other papers too but common sense should prevail.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Sue Ellen

This will be sufficient for you to make s claim. Were you claiming before you started? If so hopefully it will be a quick repeat claim.
    Go to your local office Monday and make a claim. Be prepared though that there could be a delay due to proximity to Christmas.

Advertisement