Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boards Fantasy NFL : Waiver Wire

• 07-12-2014 5:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭

Poll and Discussion about the Waiver Wire:

Choose from three Waiver Type options. Reset Every Tuesday to Inverse Order of Standings gives priority to teams lowest in the overall league standings each week and moves teams to the lowest waiver priority after each successful claim. With Move to Last After Claim, waivers work in a similar way, but the waiver order is not reset every week. Waivers Acquisition Budget features a bidding process for waiver claims, with a seasonal budget for each team. (NFL.com Default is Reset Every Tuesday to Inverse Order of Standings)

• Waiver Type
      • Move to Last after Claim, Never Reset( Current System)
      • OR
      • Reset Every Tuesday to Inverse Order of Standings
    After the Draft the Order is inverse by default on both systems.

Waiver Wire Type: 39 votes

Move to Last after Claim, Never Reset( Current System)
    0%
    Reset Every Tuesday to Inverse Order of Standings
    100%
    nasty_crashDodgeJohnny_FontaneBizzyCpadraig_fdavetheraveBluredpoldebruinf1danDBIrelandslowharrymatthew8AirDemonPodge_irlMr. Guappajester1980radharcD3POfisgonMoist Bread 39 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭poldebruin

I'll hold off voting until I read a few proposals (that is if anyone is to make an argument one way or the other, I'm willing to be convinced.

My thoughts are that it seems fair as it is and I'd like to keep the system we have at the moment. The waiver wire can make or break a season and the most important time is in the first couple of weeks of the season.

Reasons to keep it as is:

-After the first couple of weeks there are usually a couple of players who stand out instantly that were not on anyone's radar on draft day. Picking up a burgeoning star in week 1 is more valuable than getting an equal player in week 13. (the same goes for replacing an injured player)

-Losing your first game of the season does not measure the strength of a team (I,e. You could score 100 points and still lose) Why get rewarded with a high waiver slot for these crucial weeks (even if winning the 2nd game, you would receive a middle of the pack waiver priority the next week)

-After week 1 of the season everyone has just completed and drafted what they consider to be the best team. I don't think a team off to a slow start should be able to get multiple "do overs".

-Depending on results of other polls (no. of teams being reduced would release 28 extra decent quality players into the waiver pool, while reducing bench places x 1 will release 14 - 16 extra players into the pool) which would still enable "weaker" teams to strengthen. (I should point out that I started 1-3 this year and would have been rewarded with 4 high waiver picks, without those picks I still managed to make the playoffs)

-Adds to the strategy of Fantasy Football, do you use your high waiver priority, knowing you will go to the back of the pack, or hold off and see if you can pick the player as a FA instead and keep your priority?

-Strong teams will tend not to need to use the waiver as much any way (although the good owners are always on the lookout)

Reasons to change:

- It should enable teams that drop one or two games behind to significantly upgrade their team quickly, and benefit from this for the remainder of the season.

- Would give new/first time fantasy players time to find their feet and correct some mistakes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

They way I look at it is simple. You could let the lowest rank team grab all the key FA and he could still lose every week. There is not strategy to letting the lower ranked teams have first dibs at players. They could still make the wrong moves and stay at the bottom.

By leaving it as is it forces you into making a strategy for yourself and not jumping on every potential decent player. Also it puts everyone in the same boat. I don't buy into the argument that lower ranked teams have less of an advantage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I think it evens things up a bit for teams that get off to a brutal start. Some, but not all, fantasy owners get unlucky with players going on IR early in the season. This gives better players a chance to get competitive again if they get unlucky early on I think. Last year I had a horrendous year with early picks getting injured in the first couple of weeks of the season.

I remember last year I had Andre Brown and Shane Vereen and they were gone after two weeks. I was in trouble early on and I couldn't recover because I couldn't afford to wait for a really good one to come on the waiver wire. As a result I had to wait weeks to get near the top again. If you are not going well and the waiver wire is reset every week then you can take a chance on somebody without worrying about being bottom of the order the next week. It gives you a chance to get back into it.

The thing that I really hate about the way it is now is that a strong team who doesn't get injuries can sit and wait for the really good one on the waiver wire and then stash him away. I really don't think that is fair at all and it doesn't help the league in any way.

I voted for a change in this one.

eagle eye wrote: »
    The thing that I really hate about the way it is now is that a strong team who doesn't get injuries can sit and wait for the really good one on the waiver wire and then stash him away. I really don't think that is fair at all and it doesn't help the league in any way.

I would counter that when you sit on your high waiver hoping for a good player to some up, you can miss out on some decent players too. This happened me this year, I got to the top priority and held on to use it on a can't miss prospect... and got Jonas Grey. In the meantime I missed out on some pretty solid pickups. (and no, I did not start him on his 4td week!)

Also, a really strong team does not generally get the same benefit of a good waiver pickup. Generally their team is set, and for the most part, they look at their team and do not want to swap anyone out or they acquire said player, but he is not an every week starter on an already strong team.

All this is to say the waiver system benefits weaker teams as it is currently set up. I can't see how awarding the prime waiver slots of the entire season, just on the basis of a first game loss.

poldebruin wrote: »
    I would counter that when you sit on your high waiver hoping for a good player to some up, you can miss out on some decent players too. This happened me this year, I got to the top priority and held on to use it on a can't miss prospect... and got Jonas Grey. In the meantime I missed out on some pretty solid pickups. (and no, I did not start him on his 4td week!)
    This is just bad play on your part.
    Also, a really strong team does not generally get the same benefit of a good waiver pickup. Generally their team is set, and for the most part, they look at their team and do not want to swap anyone out or they acquire said player, but he is not an every week starter on an already strong team.
    Until something big happens like one of the top RBs going on IR, or a QB.
    All this is to say the waiver system benefits weaker teams as it is currently set up. I can't see how awarding the prime waiver slots of the entire season, just on the basis of a first game loss.
    You are joking right?

• Advertisement

This is just bad play on your part.
    Thanks for the input, but I'm not arguing about my style of play. Just agreeing with your own point that the top waiver priority frequently sits on their pick. Strong teams even more so.
    You are joking right

About what in particular? Of course waivers benefit weaker teams more. They have more players they would like to drop. Weaker teams utilise the waiver system far more than strong teams. This is obvious to me at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭padraig_f

Option 2 is dumb. We have it in the PPR league and it's CRAP.

Last year I had the good fortune to start well in PPR and spent the entire season at the bottom of the waiver list.

You start 3-0 or something, you're getting no chance at good waiver picks for the whole season (because you'll never have one of the worst records).

It's also unfair, it means some teams get all the best picks. Currently system is totally fair, it's rotated evenly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Tristram

Can still pick up players in FA.

Tristram wrote: »
    Can still pick up players in FA.

Yes you can and it wont affect your waiver position in the current setting.

Bumping this up until they get stickied

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Raoul

TO. wrote: »
    Yes you can and it wont affect your waiver position in the current setting.

Yeah but presumably you are picking up a player that 15 other teams didn't really want.

Raoul wrote: »
    Yeah but presumably you are picking up a player that 15 other teams didn't really want.

True that having said that I nabbed a couple of players in my time that were overlooked by others. Hit and miss really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

TO. wrote: »
    True that having said that I nabbed a couple of players in my time that were overlooked by others. Hit and miss really.

yep I mean CJ Anderson, Tre Mason, Brandon LaFell, all these guys and others made FA in the Prem league at diff points of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Raoul

D3PO wrote: »
    yep I mean CJ Anderson, Tre Mason, Brandon LaFell, all these guys and others made FA in the Prem league at diff points of the season.

Yeah but like....nobody was picking up CJ Anderson when Montee Ball, Hillman and Thompson were in front of him. (Maybe Thompson never was but you get my point). Also with Tre Mason, there was a few guys ahead of him too. Were these guys picked up off the FA probably not and were taken off the waiver wire.

I think it is like saying you could have drafted Forsett in the draft but realistically there wasn't much point in doing that. Nobody knew that he would become one of the best fantasy backs in the league.

Raoul wrote: »
    Yeah but like....nobody was picking up CJ Anderson when Montee Ball, Hillman and Thompson were in front of him. (Maybe Thompson never was but you get my point). Also with Tre Mason, there was a few guys ahead of him too. Were these guys picked up off the FA probably not and were taken off the waiver wire.

I think it is like saying you could have drafted Forsett in the draft but realistically there wasn't much point in doing that. Nobody knew that he would become one of the best fantasy backs in the league.

Anderson was defo picked up as a FA so was LaFell. Infact Anderson was picked up as a FA played by TO a few times dropped, and picked up on FA a second time

Mason maybe not. I cant recall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,310 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

D3PO wrote: »
    Anderson was defo picked up as a FA so was LaFell. Infact Anderson was picked up as a FA played by TO a few times dropped, and picked up on FA a second time

Mason maybe not. I cant recall.

I picked up Lafell midway through the season on waivers. I had traded Keenan Allen away

I definitely didn't have a high waiver position at the time

Dodge wrote: »
    I picked up Lafell midway through the season on waivers. I had traded Keenan Allen away

I definitely didn't have a high waiver position at the time
    L
    afell was defo picked up as a FA because I did and then dropped him when you traded me Allen :pac::p

should have kept em both lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭fisgon

Voted for current system, don´t like the "reverse order of standings" at all. As has been said, we have it in PPR and it does distort competition.

An option that isn't there, and that would be my preference, is a FAB budget system, ie. each team gets $100 at the beginning of the season and each week gets to bid on free agents.

The bids are secret, so the highest each week gets the player. This adds a whole different level of strategy and intrigue to the waiver pick ups each week, and means that everyone is in play for every FA, if they bid enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,181 ✭✭✭Guffy

I went 4-0 in a league that uses the reverse order of positions. Had a few injuries in week 5/6 but by time i rose to a waiver position i was 4-6

fisgon wrote: »
    Voted for current system, don´t like the "reverse order of standings" at all. As has been said, we have it in PPR and it does distort competition.

An option that isn't there, and that would be my preference, is a FAB budget system, ie. each team gets $100 at the beginning of the season and each week gets to bid on free agents.

The bids are secret, so the highest each week gets the player. This adds a whole different level of strategy and intrigue to the waiver pick ups each week, and means that everyone is in play for every FA, if they bid enough.

does that option exist in NFL.Com leagues though ? I don't believe it does.

• Advertisement

The current systems looks like its going to win out. Its going to be great fun now with this system and a flex position.:rolleyes:

Advertisement