Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roomie interviews - what to ask?

Options
  • 07-12-2014 12:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭

Hi all!

I am having some viewings today for a spare room in my flat and I have five potential candidates who want to look at the place. I was wondering - what kind of questions should I ask them? The obvious one is if they have a job/the kind of hours they keep and can prove their ability to pay, but is there anything else? I've never shared with a stranger before so I honestly can't think of what else to discuss with them.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

It helps to work out what their relationship status is, and if they are in one to set boundaries on how often overnight visits are acceptable. Same for friends/family visits. I rented a room a few months ago and one guy wanted six family members to visit for ten days almost straight away...funnily enough he didn't get the room ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

I know when I went to look at rooms in Germany.Straight away the Germans wanted to see my facebook. I think its a good idea as its a more accurate representation of their life,than an interview where they will sell themselves as an innocent country boy who has just moved to Dublin. But if you look the pictures you probably see he likes to party every night.

Although FB isnt perfect. Its better than interview

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Ask if their job allows them to work from home.

I did ask this of my flat-mate who said he could if he wanted but didn't really partake. Fast forward a couple of months and he's working from home all the bloody time, even though his office is pretty near-by! So every evening I come home and he's had the heat on all day and has commandeered the couch.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Questions :

Where have been living until now ?
    Why are you moving ?
    Do you work ?
    Girlfriend / boyfriend ?
    Smoker / Drinker?
    Party crazy ?
    What you do most evenings / weekends ?
    Expain shared bills are you willing to divid ?
    Heating ... expensive one some people will us sparingly orders want Havana mid summer all the time.
    Rent how much and when you want it
    Deposit amount ?
    What did last tenants you shared with say about you ?
    Do you have a bike ? Where will you store it ?
    Do you clean up after yourself ? How long after ?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Gut feelings; if you don't like them, don't take them in. And you don't really have to say why.

• Advertisement
Advertisement