Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5th year and not studying

Options
  • 07-12-2014 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi I'm in 5th year and would really like to do medicine but I'm not putting in any work at all this year. I didn't do transition year and found 5th year to be a massive shock. I've always done well in school and never really had to study. I thought I could get away with that this year too but that is not the case. I have my Christmas tests next week and haven't even started studying. (I have made out some notes but I haven't learned them yet.) My mother will get a serious shock when she sees the results from the Christmas tests.
    I always tell myself that I'll start but I never do. I waste time on Facebook or Snapchat instead. I also find it hard to pay attention in class which has never been a problem for me before.
    So I was wondering if anyone has any advice on how to get motivated and actually do some work?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Sam Mac

How about you do some study?

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭LauraaWhelann

Just think of results day and how proud you will be! start right now, remember that it is only a few months of your life and open so many opportunities to you. its never too late to start, and for you you still have plenty of time. But please please please start in fifth year. its a great base for sixth year and takes a bit of the stress off. Just devote yourself. Say i want this and I'm going to make it count! Thats what i did and it worked out great for me :) Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭biomed32

The problem is Senior Cycle is a whole other kettle of fish in comparison to Junior Cycle. You can muddle through Junior cycle without studying in any great depth of detail in senior cycle there is more required of you. You go past surface details of junior cycle and more is expected of you.

Your best bet is to get the head down and start. It's not too late to build a solid foundation for your chosen career this year. Give the christmas exams a go and see where you are. Talk to your teachers, talk to the guidance councellor in the school. Thinking as you are now is only creating a further barrier to getting the work done, believe me I have been there.

Also dont discredit the summer, I know its seen as a time to relax and take a break from studies but if your serious about medicine, catching up and looking forward to subjects in 6th year will help you out a lot. Just my two cents, best of luck with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

I'm in fifth year, and have similar ambition to you.

I'm here studying the #@$% out of Irish, so get off boards and put away your phone - and do some study.

Tell someone in your family to take your phone and keep it for awhile.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

Kelly98xo wrote: »
    Hi I'm in 5th year and would really like to do medicine but I'm not putting in any work at all this year. I didn't do transition year and found 5th year to be a massive shock. I've always done well in school and never really had to study. I thought I could get away with that this year too but that is not the case. I have my Christmas tests next week and haven't even started studying. (I have made out some notes but I haven't learned them yet.) My mother will get a serious shock when she sees the results from the Christmas tests.
    I always tell myself that I'll start but I never do. I waste time on Facebook or Snapchat instead. I also find it hard to pay attention in class which has never been a problem for me before.
    So I was wondering if anyone has any advice on how to get motivated and actually do some work?

I was the exact same as you in Fifth Year (three years ago), I was really, really lazy coming up to Christmas and was annoyed at myself over it because I knew I wanted to do medicine too, so after Christmas I forced myself to do some work - nothing major, but making out decent notes and doing a bit of extra work in languages helped a lot. Sure look, you've only done a few months of work in school, there's time to do a bit of cramming for your exams and if you do a bit after Christmas you'll be fine. Fifth Year isn't a year to go overboard imo, there's enough stress in Sixth Year, but you can lay a solid foundation. :) I'm in my second year of medicine now btw, and procrastinating studying for my (much scarier!) exams, hence my being here :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭dynamited

Leaving cert is over rated I'm 26 and left when I was 15 as with the majority of my friends and we're doing a lot better than the " smart kids " who got high scores in the LC

For instance we've all accumulated over 9 years of full time work , savings, no college fee debts , more real life and work experience which makes us far more employable in our markets than some daddies boy straight out of college..

If you're passionate about medicine then go for it, but please don't do an Arts degree like a sheep and waste four years of your life like so many " smart " people do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

dynamited wrote: »
    Leaving cert is over rated I'm 26 and left when I was 15 as with the majority of my friends and we're doing a lot better than the " smart kids " who got high scores in the LC

For instance we've all accumulated over 9 years of full time work , savings, no college fee debts , more real life and work experience which makes us far more employable in our markets than some daddies boy straight out of college..

If you're passionate about medicine then go for it, but please don't do an Arts degree like a sheep and waste four years of your life like so many " smart " people do

Very true! I know someone who is in the Game Industry for this quite popular company and he has no degree or college experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭PeterJC!

There's absolutely nothing wrong with doing an Arts degree, as long as you do what you love. It seems like you have a chip on your shoulder about the "smart kids" and the "leaving cert".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭DarraghFitz98

PeterJC! wrote: »
    There's absolutely nothing wrong with doing an Arts degree, as long as you do what you love. It seems like you have a chip on your shoulder about the "smart kids" and the "leaving cert".

Probably the best post I've seen in a while,seeing as I'm looking at Arts ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭DA7800

I am also in 5th year, and also, unfortunately, not studying. I've never had a history of studying, and I didn't for the Junior Cert. It sounds like some of us share the same traits. One thing I will say is that it helps to have a path in mind (albeit not for everyone). I know that personally, figuring out what I wanted to do in college when I was in TY helped me have some perspective on where I want to go and what I have to do to get me there. At least you too have that perspective.

There may be hope for us yet...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 Kelly98xo

Thanks lads. I'm just going to cram for the Christmas tests in the hope of not failing, and I'll start serious study after Christmas.

Haha I'm sure there's still hope for those of us that haven't started study, it helps to know I'm not the only one who hasn't started, and that it's still possible to get into medicine if I start now.

It's true that the LC isn't the only option and people can have great careers without it, but I think I'll give it my best shot because I need it.

And I definitely will have to keep my phone in a different room.
    Thanks again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Beca19

That post literally could have been written by me I'm in the same position as you right now.. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Kelly98xo

Haha we're in the same boat so. Getting started is the hard part but once we get going there'll be no stopping us (hopefully) :')

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,121 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The thing is to do your study in small manageable chunks. It's easier start if you are just going to cover levees and meanders than all river erosion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

As a 5th year planning to do an Arts degree and go on to do teaching I'm kinda annoyed by your comments as I think it opens lots of doors. But I can understand your point of view as I know some people who are doing / have done an arts degree that just did it for the degree and did careers after that were irrelevant to Arts.

Advertisement