Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

advice on equipment needed.?

Options
  • 06-12-2014 11:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Hi guys I'm currently in the army in Cork and I need to get a new smock as the one I have is in tatters and I only need to buy a new one for inspections I was just wondering does anyone know of any army surplus shops that sell like smocks, boots, shirts trousers etc but not at rip off prices.. I know there is one in the curragh as he's 5 mins from my house but he is supposed to be a rip off so if anyone knows where I could buy a new smock cheap that would be great thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Hi guys I'm currently in the army in Cork and I need to get a new smock as the one I have is in tatters and I only need to buy a new one for inspections I was just wondering does anyone know of any army surplus shops that sell like smocks, boots, shirts trousers etc but not at rip off prices.. I know there is one in the curragh as he's 5 mins from my house but he is supposed to be a rip off so if anyone knows where I could buy a new smock cheap that would be great thanks

How on earth would you survive in a war zone if you can't find anywhere to buy a smock with the aid of the internet in your home? Does the army not replace "tattered" clothing?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

ask for a new one

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Hi guys I'm currently in the army in Cork and I need to get a new smock as the one I have is in tatters and I only need to buy a new one for inspections

There is a reason for inspections.... and being caught on an inspection in non standard kit, not to mention non issue, is not going to go down at all well...

You should have reported the damage and requested a replacement.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,280 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

//MOD

OP I think you'll find this forum suitable for your question; please note a new charter is in effect.

New mods if it's not a good fit feel free to send it back to Biz -> Personal -> Work & Jobs

//MOD

• Registered Users Posts: 31 fireblade93

I have asked for a replacement and they have told me that i won't have one until after Christmas I have no idea why though.. that's is the only reason I am asking does anyone know where to buy a new one, you can buy irish army smocks but they won't have any defence forces badges or anything on them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭odin_ie

I have asked for a replacement and they have told me that i won't have one until after Christmas I have no idea why though.. that's is the only reason I am asking does anyone know where to buy a new one, you can buy irish army smocks but they won't have any defence forces badges or anything on them

Technically speaking, you cannot buy one. It's illegal to sell them in this jurisdiction and those doing so can be reported to the Gardai. If you get pulled on inspection for not having a Smock that is up to scratch, I'd tell the NCO the CQ has said you'll have a new one after Christmas and suck it up.

If you are hell bent on getting one, this link should help you out, http://www.arktisltd.co.uk/products/b310/
    It even comes in Irish DPM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Frosty McSnowballs

See your CQ or get a spare off an old sweat.

You should know this already.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Are you mad?

Do not spend your own money on something that should be provided for you. We get paid **** all as it is. Buying Gucci extras is one thing but your smock is one of the basics.

If you've made every effort required of you to get a damaged item of kit replaced then there's nothing anyone can do or say to you.

Make out a report to your CQ regarding the state of your smock, hey presto, you're covered. If the kit is not available or not forthcoming, it's not your fault.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

I would observe that units have just rotated in and out of overseas. There are also brand new recruits going through the system. I suspect these will get first priority on kit and everyone else is in a queue.

Edit: I would also observe that you are probably not at the back of the queue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

exhaust all official avenues first, so that they cannot say that you didn't try, which then puts the onus on them to do what they should be doing anyway. Failing that, buy one off an oul sweat or get a copy.
    regards
    Stovepipe

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Hi guys I'm currently in the army in Cork and I need to get a new smock as the one I have is in tatters and I only need to buy a new one for inspections

This is one of the stupidest things I come across in the army.

An inspection is intended to inspect the state/repair of your uniform/kit, thats why your CQ accompanies the officer on the parade.

Show up in your 'tattered' smock ~ make sure its still clean and presentable. Your officer will deem it U/S and then its up to your CQ to have it replaced ~ its THAT simple, I don't know why soldiers go out of their way to make it any more complicated that than.

Buying a replacement smock is pure thick IMO.

**If its just morning parade you're talking about then approach one of your NCO's after parade and explain your situation to him. Its not your fault if the stores can't provide you with a serviceable uniform.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

[MOD]
    you cannot legally sell or buy equipment or clothing issued by the defence forces.

wear the torn destoyed clothing or bring it with you on parade. let the chain of command do its thing, speak to your NCO first then the CQ. Fair Wear and Tear is a legitimate thing.

Closing this thread. [/MOD]

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement