Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A quick question about a laptop

Options
  • 06-12-2014 6:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭

Hey so i paid 260 for a laptop today 2nd hand from CEX a Compaq CQ58 , Now i don't know whether the thing is ****ed or what , But it is painfully slow and it takes absolutely ages to even open things,

Now this is no good to me , I want to take it back tomorow but I want to be armed with the right info , I want a refund for it cos 260 euro is a huge amount to me. Don't want to be losing out on it for a laptop that might aswell be a paperweight

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Hey so i paid 260 for a laptop today 2nd hand from CEX a Compaq CQ58 , Now i don't know whether the thing is ****ed or what , But it is painfully slow and it takes absolutely ages to even open things,

Now this is no good to me , I want to take it back tomorow but I want to be armed with the right info , I want a refund for it cos 260 euro is a huge amount to me. Don't want to be losing out on it for a laptop that might aswell be a paperweight
    It depends on
    (a) is the laptop faulty/not as described
    or
    (b) did you simply buy a low-spec machine

If a) then you are entitled to return it at no cost to yourself (or costs refunded) and seek a repair or replacement, or if neither feasible you can look for a refund.
    If b) then there is nothing wrong with the laptop in which case you have no entitlement to the above. However if you bought it online you are entitled to a full refund if you return it within 14 days from date of delivery (return shipping is usually at your own cost) and you don't need to justify with any particular reason.

BTW online reviews show the performance of that model to be slow or modest at best. http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/reviews/laptop/3464776/compaq-cq58-review/?tab=verdictTab#top

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

So.....I'm snookered basically ?

I bought it in the shop btw, Is there not a 48 hour period in which you can change you're mind

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Well theres a few questions.

Did you check out their return policy before hand.
    Why did you buy and old used laptop (I assume) for almost the price of a new one?
    It can probably be optimized to be quicker. But I dunno what your expectations are, or what you are comparing it with?

I'll be totally honest i made a snap decision because what i do , I need a laptop and my own was dying....

What i'm comparing to ? Any other computer ivé used this one is beyond slow , I've actually never used such a slow computer in all my life even my very 1st desktop ten or so years ago

As for the return policy I should have looked into that in more detail but thats my own fault and i accept that

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

We bought a HP CQ60 about 4 years ago brand new , with win vista , still going well but freezes for few minutes on start up

Your laptop probably needs a stick of ram , and maybe an update of operating system.

• Advertisement

How would ya go about updating the ram .....(computer eejit here)

What actually is in it. Run something like Speccy to find out.

I've a laptop with 2GB of RAM with W7 runs fine.

But nothing speeds up a machine like a SSD. I'd nearly get that before RAM. Ram on old machines can be expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

How would ya go about updating the ram .....(computer eejit here)

If you don't know the system spec , you can scan your laptop here and it will tell you how much ram installed and what ram you need:

http://eu.crucial.com/eur/en

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1m1tless

CeX have a 48 hour no questions asked return policy so get on that asap. Tesco have decent laptops for 199 at the moment. Have a look on the bargain alerts forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

So.....I'm snookered basically ?

I bought it in the shop btw, Is there not a 48 hour period in which you can change you're mind
    You're not snookered yet. If they have such a returns policy for in-store purchases then you can return it subject to the terms and conditions of that policy.

• Advertisement

CeX have a 48 hour no questions asked return policy so get on that asap. Tesco have decent laptops for 199 at the moment. Have a look on the bargain alerts forum.

Is that for definite will straight in if that's the case

This is the Tesco one. Its not a speed demon either. http://www.techradar.com/reviews/pc-mac/laptops-portable-pcs/laptops-and-netbooks/lenovo-b50-30-1264164/review

But other than processor speed the Lenovo will have a better spec. Probably no idea what spec the one the OP bought was. Theres a very slim chance its a faster one just badly configured. The reviews suggest it was a basic enough model when new though. So the odds are the Lenovo would be better.

Is that for definite will straight in if that's the case

Yep. I changed a game before using the 48 hour return policy.

Edit: They may only give you a credit note. Their website doesn't give much info on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

it is painfully slow and it takes absolutely ages to even open things
    Download, install, and run http://www.cpuid.com/downloads/cpu-z/1.71.1-setup-en.exe and open the memory tab, and tell us how much is in it. I'm guessing it'll say 512MB.

Went in awhile ago , Had a look around before i even approached the counter because I partly guessed i wouldn't get cash , So spotted a nice Toshiba Satellite similar enough to my old laptop and it was same price 2 gb more ram and double storage capacity , So approached the till and told them truth that i didn't like it, They were sound and said come back in an hour because they need to check its okay , Came back an hour later picked up the Toshiba , Tried it out in there was happy out with it and im sorted ...Thanks all for the advice :)

Nice one!

Advertisement