Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mold - what's the solution?

Options
  • 06-12-2014 5:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hello, We moved into a new apartment in May, and unfortunately when it got cold the condensation started to appear at the windows causing mold. We have rented different properties in Ireland and unfortunately all of them had mold issues.
    We are mature people and ventilate our place every day, we have ventilators in walls open constantly- as well as the ones on the top of windows and heat the place regularly.
    We noticed that Irish usually blame ventilation for these problems( and very often tenants) however in all our 4 places that we lived in before we ventilated the properties every day, and used tumble dryers for drying our clothes.
    We looked up builders forums and found out that construction problems; including poorly insulated windows might be the main problem,
    In our current place mold appears around window frames- in a bedroom and a living room- walls around frames are colder in touch and get wet... causing black mold.
    Using anti-mold sprays and ventilating the property doesn't help, our landlord- same like the others we used to deal with is only eager to paint the unhealthy fungus.
    Does anyone have any ideas how to deal with this condensation problems at windows? How to get rid of it properly? Thank you for any suggestions

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭anonyanony

annaj wrote: »
    Hello, We moved into a new apartment in May, and unfortunately when it got cold the condensation started to appear at the windows causing mold. We have rented different properties in Ireland and unfortunately all of them had mold issues.
    We are mature people and ventilate our place every day, we have ventilators in walls open constantly- as well as the ones on the top of windows and heat the place regularly.
    We noticed that Irish usually blame ventilation for these problems( and very often tenants) however in all our 4 places that we lived in before we ventilated the properties every day, and used tumble dryers for drying our clothes.
    We looked up builders forums and found out that construction problems; including poorly insulated windows might be the main problem,
    In our current place mold appears around window frames- in a bedroom and a living room- walls around frames are colder in touch and get wet... causing black mold.
    Using anti-mold sprays and ventilating the property doesn't help, our landlord- same like the others we used to deal with is only eager to paint the unhealthy fungus.
    Does anyone have any ideas how to deal with this condensation problems at windows? How to get rid of it properly? Thank you for any suggestions

You seem to be doing everything you can maybe a dehumidifier might help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

annaj wrote: »

How about the water absorbent kits that come in lidl? on the window ledge? its a salt used to absorb moisture as far as Im aware. They come in plastic containers and are available from time to time and cost nothing to run, I think you might be able to dehydrate them in the oven, eg after you have used it and it is still hot, just check and open a window or exterior door and close the kitchen internal door so the moisture can escape.

Tbh, I wouldnt rule out anything, did you check the vents havent been blocked up by someone prior to you? that the landlord didnt notice. Opening a window is probably better really to ventilate from time to time.

Many people had less well insulated houses and windows when I was growing up and I never recal this being a problem?
    If as you say you are ventilating and heating, maybe there is another cause, maybe an overflowing gutter? although you suggest it is at all windows?

Other than some leak or damp, I find it hard to believe mould occurs so rapidly unless it hasnt been tended to, or it pre existed and the conditions are still the same.

I suggest heavy curtains to isolate the cold windows and an anhydrous salt as mention above on the window cill, squeege off the damp on the windows and soak it with a towel for the wash. Once the window is insualted from moist warm air by the curtains that should help.

I think these things occur only after a few factors have come into play, and because people dont understand them well they dont understand what they are doing wrong.
    If a place is being ventilated and heated then either there is some other fault or the occupant is doing something wrong they dont realise. Often there are complaints of this occuring and later it is found people didnt realise they couldnt dry all their washing indoors, there is only so much moisture warm air can soak up. If the house is heated well, then it probably wont even condense water on the windows until the room has cooled, the cooler air then gives up some of the moisture as it cant hold as much as it previously did when warmed and it condenses onto the colder surface of the windows.
    Im in my kitchen now and the oven was on and its very warm, windows dry as a bone.

How big is the house? how many people occupy it? usually activities of habitation cause problems, unless there is some pre existing leak, but you say it only became noticeable when it became cold, otherwise a leak, damp or dried damp or even signs of mould may have been noticed?
    Did you say you are using a tumble drier now too? if so, where is it vented, maybe the other ones were condensing driers or vented correctly?? just an idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭kandoola

Buy a decent dehumidifier.
    Dont use those packs you get in woodies or lidl. Buy a proper electric one with good reviews.
    Anyone living in an apartment should have one.

The biggest thing you can do to stop mould is to NOT dry clothes in the house/apartment unless its with a ventilated drier.
    Even drying just one face cloth on a radiator will set you up for continuous mould problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭anthony4335

You can get a paint that is resistant to mold, I use it in my bathrooms, and one room I had an issue with due to the not been ventilated enough after showers. I has worked for the last few years. Have the landlord get this paint.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Mould is interesting. google it. Once it is in a house it breeds and spreads. There are i think chemical that will kill the spores which is what is needed. I had to leave one house where they had painted over black mould; it was making me ill and was just too bad to deal with. The spores multiply whatever the conditions in the house are. So not your fault in essence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭kandoola

Graces7 wrote: »
    Mould is interesting. google it. Once it is in a house it breeds and spreads. There are i think chemical that will kill the spores which is what is needed. I had to leave one house where they had painted over black mould; it was making me ill and was just too bad to deal with. The spores multiply whatever the conditions in the house are. So not your fault in essence.

It usually stays with the same people too. If you get it in one place chances are you will bring it to your next and on and on.

Dehumidifier. Buy one and use it is the best solution by far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

2 things need to be done. Clean the mould and dehumidifier. I recommend HG mould spray. Used it when i moved in months ago and no mould has returned yet.

2 things need to be done. Clean the mould and dehumidifier. I recommend HG mould spray. Used it when i moved in months ago and no mould has returned yet.

where do you get that?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

you need to cut down moisture from showers and cooking

is there extract fan in kitchen and bathroom

add insulation to cold areas

fix leaks and seepage

• Registered Users Posts: 35 rasgav

A dehumidifier is definitely "the" solution. Do your research and buy a good quality, appropriately sized machine. They are not that expensive to run. I have the Meaco 10l, but your needs may be different depending on the size of your space.

For cleaning mold, I have had good results with Krud Kutter mold and mildew spray. There's a list of Irish stockists on their website. It claims to be non-toxic and doesn't smell too noxious.

For anti-mold paint I like Zinsser Perma-White. It should be widely available - I got it in my local paint suppliers - and it's low-VOC.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

cerastes wrote: »
    where do you get that?

I got it from Woodies. I tried other sprays but so far HG has worked well for me.

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

kandoola wrote: »
    Buy a decent dehumidifier.
    Dont use those packs you get in woodies or lidl. Buy a proper electric one with good reviews.
    Anyone living in an apartment should have one.

The biggest thing you can do to stop mould is to NOT dry clothes in the house/apartment unless its with a ventilated drier.
    Even drying just one face cloth on a radiator will set you up for continuous mould problems.

Kandoola that is not always the case - I'm in my apartment over six years, I dry my clothes on a clothes horse all the time, I've never had a mould problem.
    Apartment dwellers are usually not allowed to dry clothes on their balconies - they really don't have a choice when it comes to drying clothes indoors.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 demar

In my experience, mold forms in apartments that are extremely well insulated and never, ever in older, draughty houses, with open chimneys and without double-glazing . It's impossible to cook, shower etc. and not have condensation forming on window panes, then the sill etc. in insulated apartments, and ventilation ends up meaning wasting fuel having the window permanently open! A dehumidifier is probably the solution though. Vinegar gets rid of and cleans mold spots.

kandoola wrote: »
    It usually stays with the same people too. If you get it in one place chances are you will bring it to your next and on and on.

Dehumidifier. Buy one and use it is the best solution by far.

So people carry the spores on themselves and their stuff? whats the solution to that? clean all your stuff in between moving?
    rasgav wrote: »
    A dehumidifier is definitely "the" solution. Do your research and buy a good quality, appropriately sized machine. They are not that expensive to run. I have the Meaco 10l, but your needs may be different depending on the size of your space.

For cleaning mold, I have had good results with Krud Kutter mold and mildew spray. There's a list of Irish stockists on their website. It claims to be non-toxic and doesn't smell too noxious.

For anti-mold paint I like Zinsser Perma-White. It should be widely available - I got it in my local paint suppliers - and it's low-VOC.

I think a dehumidifier might help, but it seems to help clear the symptoms that allowed mould to form, but I dont know if its the solution, Id have thought the solution is locating why the property experiences a lack of ventilation and fix that or a lack of heating and fix that.
    Kandoola that is not always the case - I'm in my apartment over six years, I dry my clothes on a clothes horse all the time, I've never had a mould problem.
    Apartment dwellers are usually not allowed to dry clothes on their balconies - they really don't have a choice when it comes to drying clothes indoors.

Personally, I think people should be allowed dry their clothes somewhere in apartments, its not very environmentally friendly or more so cost effective to run dryers, its because places are ill conceived boxes. I saw a Continental apartment, it had a specific space you could air clothes, it was like a partially enclosed outside space with a grille over the opening, you could go out and have a smoke out there or dry clothes.

It seems whatever you are doing, you arent encouraging mould, by either heating the place or opening a large ventilation opening, rather than just relying on a wall vent? Maybe it would be advisable to run a dehumidifier near drying clothes to absorb the moisture, but that will cost too. As much as I can understand people not liking the appearance of it, I still think people should be allowed hang clothes somewhere to dry.

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

cerastes wrote: »

It seems whatever you are doing, you arent encouraging mould, by either heating the place or opening a large ventilation opening, rather than just relying on a wall vent? Maybe it would be advisable to run a dehumidifier near drying clothes to absorb the moisture, but that will cost too. As much as I can understand people not liking the appearance of it, I still think people should be allowed hang clothes somewhere to dry.

Well I don't own a dehumidifier, but I do have the heating on twice daily during the winter, and I open the windows in my bedroom and the living room when I can. I've no problem throwing on a hoody or wrapping up in a blanket when the balcony door is open to air the place out. A lot of people would not do that. The vents in the windows are always open.
    The laundry is typically left inside the balcony door tucked out of view of the neighbours, but it is close enough to the window that air & moisture gets in and out I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭mille100piedi

I bought EcoAir ECO DD122FW Desiccant Simple Dehumidifier and I am very happy. I keep the humidity level in my apartment at 40%. I bought a spinner for my laundry and thanks to the dehumidifier my clothes dry in only a few hours. I insulated the roof over my apartment and no more condensation in the window, my place is much warmer and dry. My electricity bill are lower. Apartments in Ireland are not well insulated.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 212 ✭✭HobbyMan

OP - did you get a dehumidifier in the end? If you like you can message me the exact problem and room dimensions etc and I could make a recommendation as I am knowledgeable about dehumidifiers.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭et101

I had a Dimplex dehumidifier which has just died and I am now looking to purchase another one. Can anyone suggest a model and WHERE to buy one in Dublin. Have searched and searched online and have only ended up confusing myself!!!! Any help would be really appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 17,902 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Might still be under warranty?

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭et101

Thargor wrote: »
    Might still be under warranty?

No it's not, bought it about 2 years ago. Am now looking for a desiccant one but it seems to be impossible to get one in Ireland. Not sure about buying one from Amazon due to delivery charge. I know I can use Parcel Motel but I'm still reluctant!! :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Simon_K

et101 I used Amazon and Parcel Motel to get the DD122MK5 shipped - the box fit Parcel Motel's LARGE criteria, so don't worry about the delivery charges :)

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭mortimer33

et101 wrote: »
    No it's not, bought it about 2 years ago. Am now looking for a desiccant one but it seems to be impossible to get one in Ireland. Not sure about buying one from Amazon due to delivery charge. I know I can use Parcel Motel but I'm still reluctant!! :o

Ebac 2650e has been a workhorse for me.. Had it 7 years and still going strong. Think I got it in Argos.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

op,
    There are a number of factors at play to cause mould

To much water vapour generated internally (occupants breathing, cooking, etc)

Cold external wall/window surfaces for this vapour to condense

Lack of cross ventilation, lack of/badly located/ badly installed background vents, lack of purge venting

A slow rad leak, external water infiltration due to gutters etc etc

Often a lack of heating is a factor also

Some questions if you don't mind:

Hold sheet of paper to the bathroom and kitchen extractor fans, is the sheet held by the suction?
    Have you a Thermometer (not the heating systems one) what do you keep the temp at?
    Does the temp fluctuate by much?
    Do you keep the window open in your room at night?
    Could you stretch to an RH sensor (about 20€), place it in differnet locations and see where its worse. More than 60/70% is not good (that's heated internal air, which is very differnet to an external RH)
    I appreciate that the fire regs mean you probably have closers on your doors, but try keeping the doors open during the day when people are awake/Alert, and when purge venting see what difference cross venting makes.
    Is the mould happening in wardrobes and behind furniture?

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭campingcarist

I dry my clothes on a horse in my apartment and don't have any issues with mold and i don't open the windows that much either. However, I do keep my place warm enough to stop the walls getting cold enough to cause condensation; this helps to keep mold away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Everyone place is different. Doing the same thing in one apartment with no problems might cause problems in another.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Simon_K

some buildings are simply not insulated, and even if you keep the temperature high, the walls will still get mouldy.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭owen85

best scenario: redoing the insulation and airtightness tapes around the windows as often this is done poorly. sometimes no insulation is placed on the opening on the walls for the windows due to spacial restraints. the rest of the wall is probably insulated. the opening for the window is cold and the rest of the wall is relatively warm? the cold is meeting warm wall and warm air and condensation occurs. if it was insulated properly there would be no cold wall and hopefully no mould.
    if space is a problem, there are thin insulative products... aerogel is one of probably many.

possible makeshift idea: wash the mould off,spray with anti fungal spray. get some styrofoam and place it around the opening in the wall for the window. tape the edges so there are no openings for warm air to get between wall and styrofoam. this might insulate it enough to prevent future mould growth. how it may look??? well.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭United Park

Get this crowd out to do a free survey! I cant put up links but google <mod snip >

I had awful trouble a couple a few years ago. Got a number of companies out and wasnt happy with what they recommended! This crowd knew their stuff! A new ventilation system was solution in my apartment (aswel as putting small holes in back of wardrobe)

Got work done 3 years ago and no problems since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Found anti-mould paint useless, standard plug-in dehumidifers are nice but never enough for a full house.

You really need a PIV (Positive Input Ventilation system) to sort it. I installed one years ago at a cost of about €700, best money I ever spent. No more mould or damp, full stop.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

What sort of system cost 700?

Advertisement