Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile topup charges

Options
  • 06-12-2014 12:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭

Hi, I was wondering what people are being charged for top ups whether it be mobile or pre pay utilities?
    In the Clondalkin area, the centras take 25c per transaction on prepay gas and electric. I'm assuming phone credit is the same but what got me is that while waiting in the queue in tutills in the Mill shopping centre, a man asked for €10 credit for the 3 phone service and had to handover an extra 90c. Who is implementing these charges, the provider of the service, the shop or the topupservice. Just thinking of all the kids that get these phone credit, whoever gets the money must have zero morals.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭Miaireland

As far as I know it is the shops that get the money. They claim that the machines cost them money and they do not make any money on the larger sums.

Some of the local shops here used to charge for top ups a few years ago but none do now. I am not sure is it because of the opening of large stores that did not charge or did someone report them to the phone companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

The shops have had to add the charges as the networks have increased the wholesale price of the credit to a point where it actually costs the shop more than face value to buy the lower value credit (€5)

Even on the higher value credit the shops might only make 3% ie they might only make 50c on a €20 top-up once VAT is taken into account. The margin made goes towards things like wages, rent, electricity, rates, insurance, tax etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Phone companies get more of the profit if you cut out the middleman and buy online so they want to encourage you to do that.

Phone companies recommend that the shops charge extra, for example €10 Vodafone credit costs the shop €10.10 (inc vat) to buy and Vodafone recommend that they sell it to the customer at €10.50

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

You can buy it online or even in most ATMs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

The cost of a five euro credit, to a shop, is currently 5 euro 11 cent.

This is a setup by the phone networks to stop people buying from shops.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭893bet

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,243 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Anyone who allows themself to get charged for additional charges on a topup is an idiot. Plenty of non rip off retailers, ATM's, online banking and post offices that charge nothing extra.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

GarIT wrote: »
    Phone companies get more of the profit if you cut out the middleman and buy online so they want to encourage you to do that.

Phone companies recommend that the shops charge extra, for example €10 Vodafone credit costs the shop €10.10 (inc vat) to buy and Vodafone recommend that they sell it to the customer at €10.50
    The cost of a five euro credit, to a shop, is currently 5 euro 11 cent.

Rubbish. This is a charge unilaterarily imposed by the shops with no input from the mobile providers. Retailers are crying the poor mouth because of the small commission they get. They got no satisfaction from the mobile providers so they eke it from the customers instead. Vote with your feet is my advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 ktc99

Rubbish. This is a charge unilaterarily imposed by the shops with no input from the mobile providers. Retailers are crying the poor mouth because of the small commission they get. They got no satisfaction from the mobile providers so they eke it from the customers instead. Vote with your feet is my advice.

So you expect shops to sell credit at a loss? And I have seen the letter from payzone that stated the reccommened retail prices be €5.50 and €10.50. Some people need to get a grip on reality and realise that a huge amount of work hours and risk goes into running a business. And to justify the amount of work and stress that is involved owners need to set prices which they think rewards their work which is far far different than a typical 9-5 job.

Now if I was being asked to lose money on credit I would add a 50c charge as well. Some shops might not (I have not seen any that haven't bar supermarkets) but people have to realise that all businesses are different and some may need to add the charge and others might decide that they don't need to add it.

I know were gonna get the hard done by brigade spewing the same "greedy profiteering" $hite about shop owners but these people obviously have no idea what is involved in running a busisness. Like I said one shop cannot be compared to another shop business wise as the way things are done and the way prices are set might need to differ dramatically on a case by case basis.

Advertisement