Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Quick question for Leaf owners

Options
  • 06-12-2014 4:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 33,180 ✭✭✭✭

With the recent cold and frosty mornings, I was wondering if its possible to have the Leaf start pre-heating the car before you leave for your commute, whilst its plugged in at home?

Is there anyway of setting this to happen? Would be a great job if it could.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Scottie99

There is a facility to do this but usually switch it on via Carwings as I need it

Yes you can set this to icome on automatically.

What year is it ? If it's the basic xe it can be set From the menu on the dash. Or the touchscreen on all others Fromm 2011+

Set the time you want to drive off and it will have the car nice and warm when you get in.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,180 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

How convenient!
    Would be a Godsend on those wintery mornings.

NIMAN wrote: »
    How convenient!
    Would be a Godsend on those wintery mornings.

Absolutely ! one of the mornings last week was frosty and it was really a pleasure to get into a warm defrosted car in the morning ! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

I love this feature on the car. It's set to come on every morning. Makes such a difference that the windscreen is defrosted.

• Advertisement

Yeah defrosted and warm when you get in, just great ! :D

Is there any ICE car that provides this feature?

The likes of those S-Class Mercs or similar executive cars?

A lot of the German cars have the option of a Webasto parking heater, not available in Ireland, but I'm sure it could be got.It is expensive, about 1000-1500 Euro's.

Makes electric cars seem like even better value. Add a parking heater and automatic to an ice and you could be paying 2-3 K extra.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭reboot

I like the idea that the heatpump in the Zoe is available almost instantly (Out of Eco mode). You don't have to wait for the engine in an Ice car to warm up. In the garage it may be switched on from a smart phone App before you get out of bed.

I remember a friend of mine from Sweden about 15yrs ago told me he could leave his Saab plugged into the electric overnight, and it was warm straight away when he drove off.

I suppose they have to be prepared with their weather.

• Advertisement

I remember a friend of mine from Sweden about 15yrs ago told me he could leave his Saab plugged into the electric overnight, and it was warm straight away when he drove off.

I suppose they have to be prepared with their weather.

I worked with a guy from Alaska, (Three dog night, and all that), he talked about going to buy a car from someone to be told it had done so many thousand hours,instead of road miles.That is because they don't switch off, too cold to start the engine again?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

I was curious about this recently.
    German and Swedish car manufacturers all seem to have heaters as options and there are many after market systems too. Mostly they seem to be auxiliary heaters.
    Preheaters - fitted to coolant system or fitted to sump to heat engine oil and powered from 230V household supply .
    Auxiliary heaters - powered by diesel/petrol. These seem to be common in diesels because they take longer to heat up.
    Also some very neat 12V fan heaters to fit in the passenger cabin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

reboot wrote: »
    I like the idea that the heatpump in the Zoe is available almost instantly (Out of Eco mode). You don't have to wait for the engine in an Ice car to warm up. In the garage it may be switched on from a smart phone App before you get out of bed.

I had this idea a few years ago and foolishly submitted it to a competition in the Science Lab - instead of patenting it. They've pinched it!
    (Turning a heater on remotely with a phone is that a novel idea?)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

The E53 BMW X5 had a pre heat feature. You set it through the OBC and set the time to come on at etc. Only the diesel versions got it as my V8 petrol didn't have it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

kceire wrote: »
    The E53 BMW X5 had a pre heat feature. You set it through the OBC and set the time to come on at etc. Only the diesel versions got it as my V8 petrol didn't have it :(
    My e60 535d had that aswell actually now that you mention it
    But it seems to be a high cost extra on ice cars

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

My e60 535d had that aswell actually now that you mention it
    But it seems to be a high cost extra on ice cars

Strange extra alright. I had an LCI 535d sport with a lot of extras but the preheat wasn't one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

kceire wrote: »
    Strange extra alright. I had an LCI 535d sport with a lot of extras but the preheat wasn't one of them.

I didn't even realize it until I was playing around with the idrive one day.
    My one was bought by someone very eclectic. High spec nav and some high spec extras like the pre heater but the space beside the shifter knob had more blanking panels than buttons!

I had this idea a few years ago and foolishly submitted it to a competition in the Science Lab - instead of patenting it. They've pinched it!
    (Turning a heater on remotely with a phone is that a novel idea?)

"R Link" Renault Zoe, I built a laptop 45 years ago for ICL, no Internet, Tell me about it!

Advertisement