Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What points Should I consider before going EV?

Options
  • 05-12-2014 11:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭

hi,

What are the main points/issues I should look into before making the decision to go for an electric car, like the leaf?
    I've been looking and getting interested in a leaf for a while, but not sure what I should be concerned about, other than range. What othr logistical issues are worth considering, say if I were going for a fairly fresh second hand leaf?
    And specifically, is a daily commute, from Wicklow, to sandyford on the m11 at say 100 kph, with just the nighttime charging a possibility?

Thanks for any replies

Ed

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,180 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Main thing, is it going to be your only car, or have you an ICE car too?

If its going to be your only car, then unexpected long trips to things like the airport, other side of the country might be off the agenda, or only done with a bit of planning.

How many miles is your daily commute? I think you should budget for a max range of 80 miles driving normally. If you horse it, use heaters etc, expect a little less.

Would you have any facility to charge once you are at work? Would your employer allow you to plug it in? Or would a public charging point be within walking distance of your work?

Other than range, I'd say you wouldn't really have much to be concerned about. I don't own one, but have done a lot of research on them, and they appear to be a great car overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭DriversEd

I have a standard diesel that will be kept, and the commute is 40 km each way, mainly motorway driving, which can be slow going in the evening, otherwise it's ok. I'm pretty sure charging at work can't be done, as for charge points nearby, I'm looking for as close to a straight swap as possible, not to have to start doing extra to HAVE an electric car, if you get me?!

DriversEd wrote: »
    hi,

What are the main points/issues I should look into before making the decision to go for an electric car, like the leaf?
    I've been looking and getting interested in a leaf for a while, but not sure what I should be concerned about, other than range. What othr logistical issues are worth considering, say if I were going for a fairly fresh second hand leaf?
    And specifically, is a daily commute, from Wicklow, to sandyford on the m11 at say 100 kph, with just the nighttime charging a possibility?

Thanks for any replies

Ed

Sure 80 Kms at 100 Kph is more than possible. You shouldn't need work charging. But if you intend to keep the car a long time there might be times where you may need to plug in as the battery ages but it should be some time before that happens.

If you need to fast charge then don't fast charge above 80 % because fast charging heats the battery which it doesn't like to be too hot, not so bad in cold weather but multiple daily fast charging will still get it hot in winter and batteries do not like to be hot at a high state of charge i.e above 80%

Best to fast charge to only what you need to get home or to your destination.

For instance for me to get from home to work the other day while I had the test leaf, I made it 66.6 kms to Grangecastle with 49 % battery got to Naas qc and fast charged to 58%, I made it to Carlow with 20% left. I had to meet the sales man, my home is 10 kms shorter so in Reality I would probably need to charge to 51% . It took me 15 mins to get from 30% to 58% so I would probably get away with 5-7 mins. This would be for about 84 miles per day.

You'll find yourself travelling further as you get more used to it but it does take planning and I always suggest getting the more powerful ac charger if you can (6.6 Kw or 32 amp) because it charges twice as fast from standard street charger. Meaning less time on the fast charger or non at all.

@Mad LAd,

I see you've mentioned a test Leaf in a few posts recently, are you thinking of getting one?

How long did you get a lend of one for?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭liam7831

How physically strong you are you would well up there imo

• Advertisement

liam7831 wrote: »
    How physically strong you are you would well up there imo

What ?

NIMAN wrote: »
    @Mad LAd,

I see you've mentioned a test Leaf in a few posts recently, are you thinking of getting one?

How long did you get a lend of one for?

I had a basic XE Leaf with quick charge for 2 days in July and 2 days last week, I loved it, the SVE top spec model is even better. I want to get one hopefully January.

I've an 84 mile commute, and may need a 5-10 min fast charge but I'm going on an 8-8 shift in January so it's unlikely I'll see traffic for a while again and the fast charger shouldn't be busy.

Keeping my old prius would be the most economical but I've had her nearly 4 years and want a change, I really like it, just passed 205,000 Kms and it's still going strong. Really a great car.

The Kia soul would have better range than the Leaf but I don't think I like the look of it, + I don't think it will be available in January, it would be the better e.v range wise though.

Leaf II will be here by the time my PCP ends, Nissan have hinted of 150 mile range. I'm guessing it will happen, it is possible.

Work have said they will look into getting charge points installed, hopefully they will. we need more work charging.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭liam7831

What ?

For when your pushing it to the nearest plug :D

So, the range is possible, yes?
    Also, what is this about a better charger? Can a better one be fitted after market, and if so, is it expensive?
    Also, is there a possibility of having to change the battery, and if so, is IT expensive? Surely these would add to the running cost?
    It's a nice idea, almost free running, but if it's swapping fuel cost for other costs, that, End up comparable, why bother with the obvious drawbacks like range and loss of flexibility?

liam7831 wrote: »
    For when your pushing it to the nearest plug :D

Oh right, well suppose it can happen , this is why this gen of electrics require more planning, If I could do nearly 90 miles in one day with a 15 min qc and have 20 % range left I don't think that's too bad that would mean 100 miles with just a 15 min qc, of course you could drive faster and spend more time on the fast charger.

The commute to work was at 80-100 kph commuter traffic N9, M7 N7 and back to Naas, then 100-110 Kph from Naas on the M9 to Carlow Town QC.

Going above 100 Kph imo is pointless as it only gets you faster to traffic jams.

• Advertisement

So, the range is possible, yes?
    Also, what is this about a better charger? Can a better one be fitted after market, and if so, is it expensive?
    Also, is there a possibility of having to change the battery, and if so, is IT expensive? Surely these would add to the running cost?
    It's a nice idea, almost free running, but if it's swapping fuel cost for other costs, that, End up comparable, why bother with the obvious drawbacks like range and loss of flexibility?

The range you're looking for is absolutely possible, (80 kms)

Remember I got 66.6 Kms on 49% battery, now make that 0 degrees and wind rain, it would most likely be a bit less.

In theory if work provide a charge point I would get there and back with 80% charge and still have range left.

The charge to 80% function is always better for batter life long term. If you're on PCP it probably won't matter.

If work provide a charge point I could get away with a good few years use out of the leaf even with a 20% loss in battery capacity, so I would expect this to still be usable after 150,000 miles.

Find yourself addicted to the fast charger this could be a lot less. Think of the fast charger as a means to get you to your destination and not just use it for free electricity or your soul means of charging.

END of life in the battery industry is 70% capacity, but in reality end of life is when it becomes impractical to use for you.

A taxi driver who does all day short trips could see 15 years use compared to someone who drives 50 miles to work and back.

I am quiet surprised there are not a lot more ev taxis. Though I guess they charge their customers enough so they don't care about fuel costs.

Thanks mad lad, for your comments, they're appreciated, but is there anyone on here that owns and runs one, on a similar route/ range, that could give me some do's and don'ts?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

I drive approx 80km round trip to and from work everyday. Mostly motorway driving. Do it without a charge. Can't push it much over 105 on the motorway but am used to it now.

Great, thanks toadfly!
    Do you have much to spare doing that commute?
    As I said, we have another car, but if it's possible to cut out one commute cost as it were, it would be great.
    What issues do you feel we would notice ,out coming from a standard car to an EV, and what pitfalls should we be aware of?

It differs, some days I'd have 20, others would be nearer to zero! So many things effect it, temperature, speed, wind etc.

My biggest issue is with the charge network for longer journeys, it's so stressful. But if you plan on keeping your ICE, you won't regret it.

And, what does it cost, if you're charging at home only?
    I don't see myself using the charge units unless I have to.
    Plus, I suppose it's a given that we'd have to get a night meter fitted?
    And the special charging equipment for the house, and cables etc, are they a considerable cost also?

Another consideration, and the one that put an end to my interest in an EV (for now anyway) was the resale value.

If you were to buy a 2yr old Leaf now, keep it for 3 or 4yrs, would anyone really be willing to buy a car with a 6yr old battery?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭noelf

Another consideration, and the one that put an end to my interest in an EV (for now anyway) was the resale value.

If you were to buy a 2yr old Leaf now, keep it for 3 or 4yrs, would anyone really be willing to buy a car with a 6yr old battery?

Cost of a new battery in UK £4920 less £1000 on old battery pack fitting ???

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

This is why buying new on PCP in Ireland is a better option imo.
    Hand it back in 3 years get a new leaf with better range (the new model will be out by then)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭reboot

And, what does it cost, if you're charging at home only?
    I don't see myself using the charge units unless I have to.
    Plus, I suppose it's a given that we'd have to get a night meter fitted?
    And the special charging equipment for the house, and cables etc, are they a considerable cost also?
    I pay 8 pence/unit at night that's for a Kw/Hr.The daytime rate is almost twice that. You can run the whole house on half price energy between midnight and 8am, and anyone may avail of this deal, you don't need to drive an EV.
    There is help with installing a home charge point, Ecar NI will pay for the whole CP and Renault will also supply a free home CP (British Gas installed) These CPs are 32A,twice that of the ESB CPs.

• Advertisement

The wind killed my range this morning, have to head out & charge now :mad:

Yep wind will do that, add Rain, Snow, Cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭reboot

toadfly wrote: »
    It differs, some days I'd have 20, others would be nearer to zero! So many things effect it, temperature, speed, wind etc.

My biggest issue is with the charge network for longer journeys, it's so stressful. But if you plan on keeping your ICE, you won't regret it.

Agreed on temperature,last summer my range on the Zoe topped 105 miles, these days, with more cold weather next week, less than 80 miles.

Advertisement