Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5th year

Options
  • 05-12-2014 8:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29

Just wondering how other people are finding the year? Really struggling to get into it to be honest... Not sure if it's after TY or the subjects I chose or just me?

I feel like there's been a huge jump in the material too and so much more is expected from us?

Does anyone have any tips for how to get back into it all? We have Christmas exams in a week's time and I just can't focus at all!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭mayogirlie1

I have to be honest and say that I was so sick of being bored after ty I really have thrown myself into work this year not sure how other people are going though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

I've done TY, and had a quite busy one despite not being an academic TY.

In fifth year now, and to be honest - there isn't enough work. I've expected more work, more essays to be due, more tiny deadlines to circulate at the back of your mind throughout the week. My expectations are not met, maybe I over-prepred myself mentally. It depends on the school and teachers obviously. Once you get the grades you want, does it really matter?

How are your exams going? You say you are overwhelmed with work, but are your grades staying afloat? My best advice would be to learn to track your time properly, and maybe try improve your thinking whilst writing skills.

Teacher gives you ten minutes at the end of class to do any work. Might as well pull out something and try finish any homework. You have to make use of your time. Even doing little things during lunch will help, or before school starts.

Also, how do you do your homework? You get a bunch of questions on biology. You take your notes out and do the questions, using up time transitioning from notes to copy and reading the material. Why do that? In class, try to listen and learn the material while it is explained - so when you do your homework, you KNOW THE STUFF. You don't need your notes. Of course, if you're unsure, you should take a quick glance through the chapter ... and then put it away.

It's all about maintaining your time. I manage a very important extra-curricular activity and seven higher level subjects.

Also, make a list of chapters and the sort for every chapter, even if it's a rough draft.

That's how I do my homework, and it has worked so far. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Troxck

I've done TY, and had a quite busy one despite not being an academic TY.

In fifth year now, and to be honest - there isn't enough work. I've expected more work, more essays to be due, more tiny deadlines to circulate at the back of your mind throughout the week. My expectations are not met, maybe I over-prepred myself mentally. It depends on the school and teachers obviously. Once you get the grades you want, does it really matter?

Don't worry, this don't last once you hit Sixth Year! Constant tests and assignments along with extra classes and oral practice after school and during lunch. If you do subjects which require projects you'll be under so much pressure to have them completed.

My advice to any 5th Year is to probably start making solid revision notes now. You'll have most courses done my the Christmas of 6th Year and it's all revision from then so if you have solid work and revision done this year, you will be flying next year!

I derailed this thread a little bit, sorry. But OP, I didn't "get into" 5th Year until after Christmas exams but I did alright throughout the rest of the year. You'll get used to it!

Troxck wrote: »
    Don't worry, this don't last once you hit Sixth Year! Constant tests and assignments along with extra classes and oral practice after school and during lunch. If you do subjects which require projects you'll be under so much pressure to have them completed.

My advice to any 5th Year is to probably start making solid revision notes now. You'll have most courses done my the Christmas of 6th Year and it's all revision from then so if you have solid work and revision done this year, you will be flying next year!

I derailed this thread a little bit, sorry. But OP, I didn't "get into" 5th Year until after Christmas exams but I did alright throughout the rest of the year. You'll get used to it!

I have two extra classes for maths already, and might be having one for Irish as well. That makes seven math classes a week :p.

Yah, I agree. Making revision notes is key. Best start for the Christmas exams!

I have two extra classes for maths already, and might be having one for Irish as well. That makes seven math classes a week :p.

Yah, I agree. Making revision notes is key. Best start for the Christmas exams!

Extra Maths is so good. I end up having nearly 2.5 hours of Maths on Wednesdays and can be a bit of an overload.

You'll appreciate your notes so much in 6th. My Christmas tests were awful but brought it up to all As and Bs in the Summer.

Good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 Enhaha

I'm feeling completely overwhelmed as well. I don't know how people are still coming out with Junior Cert type results; the course contents are so different and I'm just not motivated enough.

Enhaha wrote: »
    I'm feeling completely overwhelmed as well. I don't know how people are still coming out with Junior Cert type results; the course contents are so different and I'm just not motivated enough.

It's a lot easier if you're genuinely interested in the material. For instance, I find physchem, biology, geography and maths naturally interesting so learning new material is more of a good thing than bad thing for me.

You should of picked subjects you enjoy - if you haven't.

Enhaha wrote: »

You need to approach the LC differently to the JC. Learning LC material the same way as you did with JC material with not work. Learn how you learn. I did that at the start of 5th Year and it really helped. I got all Cs and Ds in the JC but with how I'm doing now, the aim is all As and Bs.

Maybe you didn't pick subjects you enjoy? The subjects I picked were subjects I have an interest in. Some of them are difficult but at least I enjoy doing them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Disorganised Disaster

DublinArnie - I'm really glad your finding the year easy :) Really hoping that will be me after Christmas!

Honestly its not really the amount of work I'm finding it hard to get used to... Its more the standard that's expected?
    In junior cert I felt it was easy to get an A or whatever once you knew the material but this year there's definitely more than that involved!

Advertisement