Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a house is a nightmare - no joy at all!!!

Options
  • 05-12-2014 6:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

The process has started in July 2014 when we paid the deposit- it is December and we are still waiting- and need to leave the current apt soon-so you can imagine the frustration, hyper stress, disappointment and no joy of getting a new house at all.

Estate agency
    I don't believe the price I paid is a real one- as I was told there is another couple bidding- but how I can be sure there was one, ever!!!
    I was forced and threatened by agent to do my Survey and Evaluation back in July and what I heard from him was: "if you do not do it in next 10 days I am giving a house to someone else", strangely enough we are in Dec and still waiting so what was the rush for???

Solicitors/Brokers
    I call the solicitor very often to check where we are and all the time I can hear that this doc or that doc is missing, there is always something missing- I don't get it. I am paying a lot of money to them so they should be pushing on my behalf to have this finalised.
    It has been like this since July 2014.
    We met Solicitor in Nov- signed the offer and were told that we need to wait 4 weeks for the keys.
    5th of Dec still no keys and guess what again I found out today that some docs are missing.
    I seriously believe the guy is doing nothing.
    To make things worse we need to move our current apt soon so there is a chance we will be homeless.

I am seriously thinking of going to court and suing everyone involved in this dreadful process- can you advise sth, do you have any experience.
    I can't believe what is happening.
    All the joy of getting a new house has been taken away by a bunch of incompetent idiots who I need to deal with and it is going to cost me a lot. It even makes me more furious when i think I chose them myself.
    Any advise???

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Mod Note:

edik, I've moved your post to it's own thread, please don't resurrect old (zombie) threads.

Also, if you wish to take legal action against anyone then please consult a professional, please do not discuss that here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

When you say you signed the offer, do you mean you signed contracts and contracts were exchanged? Was there a completion date on the contract?
    What documents is your solicitor be waiting on? Maybe your contract is signed but not exchanged yet?
    Your solicitor waiting on more documentation is a good thing, he or she is working in your best interest to make sure everything is in place, a delay here is down to the vendor or vendors solicitor.
    Vendors can delay completion for a number of reasons, do you know their situation? Maybe it's a chain and they are waiting to complete on another property, meaning they will delay their house sale till their new house purchase is finalised.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭MANUTD99

We were in the same boat. We went sale agreed in July and only got the keys on Friday.

Our house was a house owned by the bank which held things up but I felt this was used as an excuse way to often. We had issues with the management company of the housing estate and there was unpaid fees by previous owner and their was queries relating to MUD .

Our solicitor seemed to move very slowly, he was always out of his office and was a nightmare replying to queries. He even went as far to say we were sending his office to many emails and he didn't have time to read through them all. He wasn't the cheapest either. We felt like banging our heads of the wall. In 6 months I managed to speak to him 2 times on the phone. It was always one excuse after another and then I found out he was working on a massive work tribunal.

We got a bit more active ourselves to try and get issues resolved. I personally got in contact with the management company of the property and their solicitors. I emailed the other vendors solicitor to ask for stuff to be escalated and it worked in the end. I gave up waiting for replies from my own solicitor and starting queries through his legal secretary

I'm sure we annoyed a few people with the emails and calling offices looking for updates but we didn't care. It was such a high milestone in our life we were not going to let some pencil pushers who we will never see again ruin it for us

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

As the OP says it's a very frustrating process made worse by the fact the everybody except the buyer is being well rewarded for their efforts, but it's the buyer who has to chase them all.

Not alot that you can do except keep the pressure on them all. It's interesting now that the bid is accepted the EA effectively becomes your ally as they want sale and commission Asap. Use this to your advantage, when your solicitor says documents are missing, go back to EA as they will put pressure on the vendor and their solicitor. Solicitors are too gentlemanly generally and work to a differing pace to the rest of us.

God luck

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

As the OP says it's a very frustrating process made worse by the fact the everybody except the buyer is being well rewarded for their efforts, but it's the buyer who has to chase them all.

Not alot that you can do except keep the pressure on them all. It's interesting now that the bid is accepted the EA effectively becomes your ally as they want sale and commission Asap. Use this to your advantage, when your solicitor says documents are missing, go back to EA as they will put pressure on the vendor and their solicitor. Solicitors are too gentlemanly generally and work to a differing pace to the rest of us.

God luck

• Advertisement
Advertisement