Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kicked out of rented accommodation

Options
  • 05-12-2014 6:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭

If paying rent for over 3 years but have no lease sign can a landlord kick me out with only one month's notice?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭anonyanony

monkey8 wrote: »
    If paying rent for over 3 years but have no lease sign can a landlord kick me out with only one month's notice?

Are you living with the landord, renting a single room or renting a whole property?

If renting a whole property no he can't you have part 4 rights contact prtb. What reason did he give for wanting you out?

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭monkey8

anonyanony wrote: »
    Are you living with the landord, renting a single room or renting a whole property?

If renting a whole property no he can't you have part 4 rights contact prtb. What reason did he give for wanting you out?

I'm sharing with 5 others. Landlord doesn't live here.
    Do I have part 4 rights without having signed a lease?
    Would anyone have a link to this?

I'm sharing with 5 others. Landlord doesn't live here.
    Do I have part 4 rights without having signed a lease?
    Would anyone have a link to this?

Are you paying for just a room in the house from the LL this can be a grey area on your rights or are renting the whole unit, when you moved in was it all 5 of you at once together how do you pay the rent?

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭monkey8

Are you paying for just a room in the house from the LL this can be a grey area on your rights or are renting the whole unit, when you moved in was it all 5 of you at once together how do you pay the rent?

Each room is rented separately. I am the only one here that long. Some here 6 months, some 1.5 years

Each room is rented separately. I am the only one here that long. Some here 6 months, some 1.5 years

And your paid your deposit and rent to the LL direct? This is a grey area even if the landlord is not living there, you need to get onto the prtb or threshold but if I remember correct the landord does not need to register with the prtb in these situations so they might not able to help.

Hope more people can give you help here

• Advertisement

Here is why it more then likely ok to remove you

www[dot]prtb[dot]ie/media-research/publications/licensees-in-private-rented-accommodation

Repace dot with. Mod can you fix I cannot post links yet

What is a Licensee?

3. persons occupying accommodation in which the owner is not resident under a formal license arrangement with the owner where the occupants are not entitled to its exclusive use and the owner has continuing access to the accommodation and/or can move around or change the occupants.

This is common in student places but might happen elsewhere and sound's like what you have as a licensee you have zero rights and can ask you to leave at any time, 30 days would be fair notice if this is the way you rented.

Please contact threshold or if any other posters can comment if they know more

• Registered Users Posts: 25,823 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

What proof do you have that you've been living there - are payments in cash, or through the bank?

Sometimes what is legal and what is enforceable are different things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Here is why it more then likely ok to remove you

www[dot]prtb[dot]ie/media-research/publications/licensees-in-private-rented-accommodation

Repace dot with. Mod can you fix I cannot post links yet

What is a Licensee?

3. persons occupying accommodation in which the owner is not resident under a formal license arrangement with the owner where the occupants are not entitled to its exclusive use and the owner has continuing access to the accommodation and/or can move around or change the occupants.

This is common in student places but might happen elsewhere and sound's like what you have as a licensee you have zero rights and can ask you to leave at any time, 30 days would be fair notice if this is the way you rented.

Please contact threshold or if any other posters can comment if they know more

A Licensee is like a lodger. Its some who rents in the house you live. But in this case, this person is consider a tenant. They should have been registered with the PRTB. Even if they werent registered with the PRTB, they still have the rights of some registered with one.

OP you should have gotten a longer notice. http://www.prtb.ie/dispute-resolution/disputes/the-three-stages-of-a-tenancy/notice-periods-for-notice-of-termination-and-notice-of-termination-by-email

Have you gotten warning for anything before?

Regardless you need to file a complaint with the PRTB

hfallada wrote: »
    A Licensee is like a lodger. Its some who rents in the house you live. But in this case, this person is consider a tenant. They should have been registered with the PRTB. Even if they werent registered with the PRTB, they still have the rights of some registered with one.

OP you should have gotten a longer notice.
    Have you gotten warning for anything before?

Regardless you need to file a complaint with the PRTB

If you read no.3 in the prtb page it says that is you are renting a room with shared usage of the common area's and the landlord is the one that changes the tenants even if he does not live there then you are infact a licensee. That is what it sounds like op is in

Advertisement