Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gas vs Electric

Options
  • 05-12-2014 12:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi there
    I'm just in the process of closing a sale on my first house...im looking at appliances and am just wondering with regards cookers, is it cheaper to run and electric or a gas cooker??
    Any help is greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Woshy

Do you cook much? I'm not sure about cost but I love to cook so the hob/oven would be very important to me and if I had the opportunity I would get a gas hob over an electric one every time. They're much, much better to cook with. As for ovens, an electric fan oven would be a better choice. I've had a gas oven before and it was terrible - you couldn't bake or do roasts in it and I've heard other people say similar. If you're not into your cooking though then maybe cost is the best thing to consider.

We bought a house recently and the oven and hob will need to be replaced soon enough. The hob is electric at the moment but I'd love to get a gas one - I have a feeling it may be expensive to do though. I need to look into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 lolzypop

Thanks Woshy
    Im no Jamie Oliver but I make a dinner everyday...We currently have gas on top and an electric oven I think I would prefer this concept as it makes me less inclined to burn everything on the hob while waiting for it to cool down :)

just with getting prepay gas will using it be expensive....in saying that the cost is obviously less important when the alternative is rotten burned dinner in the bin :D

Will look into pricing those now
    thanks a million

Yeah, you can really tell the difference when you cook with gas and the heat changes are instantaneou - it's annoying on electric that it takes ages for any changes to make to temperature to have an effect. I miss having a gas hob!.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 lolzypop

Stalk the sales....ya might get one sooner than you think!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

Definitely gas for cooking on the hob, electric (with fan, obvs) for oven. You're going to have it for a long time and use it every day so worth splashing out on a dual-fuel oven imo. Bought one about 3 years ago up the north (Rangemaster) and got a great deal on it, relative to prices in the south. Just picked out the model I wanted, searched/rang around, got the best price and they delivered to Cork, no probs. Would kill me to go back to an electric hob now!

• Advertisement

Has anyone here changed their electric hob for a gas one? It is a massively inconvenient/expensive thing to do?

We have gas central heating and we're getting building work done in Feb that will involve the flooring in the kitchen coming up (I know with the radiators the piping goes under the floor?) anyway and we will be buying a new hob then too. My concern is it will involve ripping half the kitchen out and we weren't planning on replacing the kitchen at all.

I'll ask our contractor I think but this thread has got me wondering about it and if anyone had a similar job done?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,859 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Gas is a lot cheaper per unit of energy than Electric, don't know about the relative efficiencies of gas vs electric hobs though.

Advertisement