Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Property Management - how to change?

Options
  • 05-12-2014 11:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hi,
    I live in Balbriggan and pay very high management fee, but the property management does not do anything.
    The common area is in very bad condition, very dirty, broken lift, constantly open car park gate. Kids are coming in and out whenever they want and destroy everything.
    I think I am the only owner living in my building.
    Could you tell me what rights I have, please? What can I do to improve the service?
    I email the management every few days, ring them. Nothing change.
    Is it any chance to change them?
    Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭David900

The management company would normally be specific to your development and a couple of residents would be nominated to sit as directors, unless your development is managed by the local authority?

The management company would be sub-contract maintenance services to a property service firm.

Management companies would hold an annual AGM, which as an owner you should be invited to attend. Do you think that is the case with your development?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 ellaj

Hi David,
    There is no residents in the property management. As I said I am the one and only owner living in the building. The rest are tenants.
    Nobody cares about the common area and everybody is afraid of the vandals.
    I still did not get any notice regarding AGM, but I will ask them.
    What else can I do?
    I do not know another owners.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 76 ✭✭AfterHrsProp

ellaj wrote: »
    Hi David,
    There is no residents in the property management. As I said I am the one and only owner living in the building. The rest are tenants.
    Nobody cares about the common area and everybody is afraid of the vandals.
    I still did not get any notice regarding AGM, but I will ask them.
    What else can I do?
    I do not know another owners.

Contact the property management company directly to see why you havent been notified of an AGM yet. When the time for the AGM comes ask to see to a breakdown of expenditure & outline the issues you currently have with their property management. If their responses are not satisfactory, hold a vote to see if the other landlords want to remove them. Be aware though that alot of property management companies will have contracts for years to manage a building.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Become a director of your management company. Put yourself up for election.

Then, with agreement from the other directors, replace the management agent.

Simple really.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 nemo1702

Ellaj I think i'm with the same management agent as you but in a different area and We have the same issues - lack of response, promising loads will be done but nothing actually done.....follow up with them on the AGM....they tried to do the same in our development and not hold one. I've actually given up complaining to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,922 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

It's not the management agents job to do the AGM, that's the job of the Management Company. If you don't have any correspondence from them look up the directors at the CRO and chase them up to organise one, as it's legally required they are held.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 nemo1702

Del2005 wrote: »
    It's not the management agents job to do the AGM, that's the job of the Management Company. If you don't have any correspondence from them look up the directors at the CRO and chase them up to organise one, as it's legally required they are held.

Sorry I should have said that, legally, the directors of the Company were responsible. I'm lucky in that I know who they are but Ellaj might not as she's the only owner occupier in her block/area.

nemo1702 wrote: »
    Sorry I should have said that, legally, the directors of the Company were responsible. I'm lucky in that I know who they are but Ellaj might not as she's the only owner occupier in her block/area.

Yes Ella, this is the best thing to do. Best thing to do would be to ring the managers and ask directly, if they are elusive you might have to dig yourself.

For this you'll need the name of the management company, you might find this on some documentation from when you purchased, on some signage in the development or maybe some correspondence you have.

As above, once you have the companies name, you can find the directors from the CRO. You still might not know these people but it's likely the are owners of some other property, likely landlords in your case.

Thank you lads.
    I have asked about the AGM just now.
    So, next step is put myself up for election to become a director.
    But as Nemo said I am the only owner in my building. This is the problem.

David, I know the name of the management company.
    I pay a management fee and correspondence with them very often.
    But they are just replying, that's it. No action.

• Advertisement

It goes back to what was mentioned earlier, there is a difference between the management company and the property manager.

The management company is set up to management a particular development, this would have directors nominated by residents. They appoint a property manager.

I'd imagine you're in contact with the property manager.

You need the name of the former.

You should be paying your fees to the management company, but corresponding with the management agent. They should be different entities.

Management company runs the place but the management agent does the day to day stuff on behalf of the management company.

As an owner, you are a member of the management company, and should be electing directors and reviewing the accounts at each AGM.

"You will receiving your invitation to AGM 3 weeks before AGM will be held as of now Macfar are waiting for books to come back from accountants".

I have just received the answer.
    I wrote the management company to ask about details of management agent and I was told three of them are the management agents.

"You will receiving your invitation to AGM 3 weeks before AGM will be held as of now Macfar are waiting for books to come back from accountants".

I have just received the answer.
    I wrote the management company to ask about details of management agent and I was told three of them are the management agents.

Bit confused by the last part, maybe they are talking about directors?
    Ask for the names of the 3 anyway, it should make it clear.

I understand, a management agent is responsible for the building. So, I asked them about his/her name. They told me they are the managing agents for my building. It means three people (two women and one man).
    I know their names as well.

I understand, a management agent is responsible for the building. So, I asked them about his/her name. They told me they are the managing agents for my building. It means three people (two women and one man).
    I know their names as well.

So, the directors are also acting as agents? Sounds unusual, but possible. It would make for an interesting AGM and also interesting accounts, especially if they are being paid for being an agent. Are they registered and licensed as a property management agent?

Either way, you are entitled to full accounts and invite/minutes from each AGM.

Paul, but I have no clue how to start and how to check all the information :(
    I remember my solicitor was surprised to see the annual report.
    How can I check if they are registered and licensed as a property management agent?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Become a director and suggest changing or in this case getting a professional agent.

That's assuming the company isn't just chronically short of money because of unpaid fees.

We did it ourselves and have a far better agent now.

Paul, but I have no clue how to start and how to check all the information :(
    I remember my solicitor was surprised to see the annual report.
    How can I check if they are registered and licensed as a property management agent?

Annual reports, accounts, and such should be on the CRO website, against your management company name/details.

As for management agent - http://www.psr.ie/

If your solicitor was surprised, then that would have raised some red flags with me, and you should have asked more questions. Knowledge is power.

Can I do anything if I am the only owner in AGM?
    Let say, nobody else is coming.

• Advertisement

Thank you Paul.
    The solicitor was surprised at the high electricity and insurance bills.

Can I do anything if I am the only owner in AGM?
    Let say, nobody else is coming.

At an AGM, you need a quorum (minimum number of people). Your articles of association for the management company will specify that number. If a quorum is not met, the AGM needs to be postponed and called again until a quorum is met.

At the AGM you have a vote on all aspects of the company. Before the AGM, you can propose issues to be raised and put yourself up for election.

Thank you Paul. You are so helpful :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

You are not the only owner. Every unit in the development has an owner. I think you might be the only owner who lives in the development. Every owner (or, in some developments, every owner whose fees are paid up to date) is entitled to attend and vote at the a.g.m.

If you hope to become a director of the owners' management company, you need a crash course on how companies work, and on the rights and responsibilities of directors.

And don't rely too heavily on your solicitor's opinion of the accounts. Not all solicitors are expert in financial matters or on company law.

P. Breathnach, I am the only owner living in the building, as I wrote.
    I am sure no else (owners) care about the building, as they just rent the apartments.
    I am Phd in finance, should be enough to become a director.

P. Breathnach, I am the only owner living in the building, as I wrote.
    I am sure no else (owners) care about the building, as they just rent the apartments.
    I am Phd in finance, should be enough to become a director.
    I am sure that the other owners also care about the building. It's just that they don't have the same perspective that you have. They see it as an investment (perhaps an underperforming one) whereas you see it as home.

With a PhD in finance, why are you placing any weight on your solicitor's opinions on the OMC's accounts? You should have an idea about the electricity consumption in the development and about the cost of insurance.

My personal opinion is that it is good to have resident directors on the board of the OMC.

Anybody who wants to get involved in an OMC should study this: http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/pdf/2011/en.act.2011.0002.pdf

My personal opinion is that it is good to have resident directors on the board of the OMC.
    I am sure not for Macfar.

P. Breathnach, you have not seen the common area... It is a drama. No security, pee, poo, every second day broken doors, broken glasses, broken walls, no cleaning, broken lift, no renovation for ages.
    And you want to tell me another owners take care about it?!

My question is: where is my annual management fee - 1600e?
    I am for 3 months here and I want to change something. I do not need to be a director. I have a good job and hobby. I know how to spend my free time.
    What I need is peace and quiet.
    But I do not like to pay for nothing.

I am sure not for Macfar.

P. Breathnach, you have not seen the common area... It is a drama. No security, pee, poo, every second day broken doors, broken glasses, broken walls, no cleaning, broken lift, no renovation for ages.
    And you want to tell me another owners take care about it?!

My question is: where is my annual management fee - 1600e?
    And my question is "where is everybody else's management fee?". If most owners are paying, there might be enough funds to pay for proper upkeep; if they are not paying - there's the core of your problem.

• Advertisement

That's why I need your help lads.
    I wonder I can do something or nothing :(

Advertisement