Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

work entitlements

Options
  • 05-12-2014 3:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭

what can i do if my employer wont pay me my entitlements. like if i work sundays? or my public holiday entitlements. ive already tried talking to them but they say i am not entitled to them.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

You need to make a complaint under the Organisation of Working Time Act 1997. To do so visit the following site: Workplace Relations and click on the "make a complaint in relation to employment rights" section.

Your application may be selected for the Early Resolution Service which aims to intervene before the formal investigation stage to resolve disputes, otherwise you can expect a hearing in front of a Rights Commisioner where you will get to present your claim.

If you get a chance contact your nearest Citizens Information centre where they can give you a rundown of the process and might help calm any nerves you have.

Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

huggy15 wrote: »
    what can i do if my employer wont pay me my entitlements. like if i work sundays? or my public holiday entitlements. ive already tried talking to them but they say i am not entitled to them.

Firstly, are you certain of what you are entitled to and how they relate to your contract? For example, if you work 3 days per week or do not normally work on the day a public holiday falls on, you are not entitled to payment for a full day on a public holiday. If you are contracted to work on a Sunday ( eg retail/leisure) then some think they are entitled to double pay etc.

Secondly, if you do know (of you don't, post your typical weekly working hours and duration of employment on here and someone will help you to work out what you are entitled to) what did your employer say about it when you told him of your entitlement?

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭huggy15

davo10 wrote: »
    Firstly, are you certain of what you are entitled to and how they relate to your contract? For example, if you work 3 days per week or do not normally work on the day a public holiday falls on, you are not entitled to payment for a full day on a public holiday. If you are contracted to work on a Sunday ( eg retail/leisure) then some think they are entitled to double pay etc.

Secondly, if you do know (of you don't, post your typical weekly working hours and duration of employment on here and someone will help you to work out what you are entitled to) what did your employer say about it when you told him of your entitlement?

i know im not entitled to a full days pay for a public holiday. i read that even if i dont work a public holiday i am still entitled to one fifth of my weeks wages on top, even if the day the public holiday falls on is never in my working week.

i work a minimum of 24 hours Thursday-Sunday, but usually work more hours. when i asked about Sunday pay(its retail work) she rambled some story about she had previously spoke to someone from revenue who told her you aren't entitled to Sunday entitlements until you are here a year.

Advertisement