Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Student: Starting a Business - Query

Options
  • 04-12-2014 10:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hello,

As the above states I am a student currently thinking about starting an online business. The business would involve the retail of clothes.

My main concerns are in regards to taxation and the formation of a company. I will continue to be a student for the next 3 years. I may in the summer months take up full time employment. I want to run the business on a side basis.

Everything will be sold from the website.

What tax must I pay? Can I sell online and be full time in full time employment or education at the same time? Are there limits to which I can earn without crossing over into other tax areas? Would I have to register as a Sole Trader?

Any information general or in detail, in regards to my situation is very much appreciated!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

CarrigView wrote: »
    Hello,

As the above states I am a student currently thinking about starting an online business. The business would involve the retail of clothes.

My main concerns are in regards to taxation and the formation of a company. I will continue to be a student for the next 3 years. I may in the summer months take up full time employment. I want to run the business on a side basis.

Everything will be sold from the website.

What tax must I pay? Can I sell online and be full time in full time employment or education at the same time? Are there limits to which I can earn without crossing over into other tax areas? Would I have to register as a Sole Trader?

Any information general or in detail, in regards to my situation is very much appreciated!

Thanks

You'll have to file a tax return and include the additional income you make from the side business. You will need to register for vat if you reach 75k+ a year but thats a hell of a lot for a parttime website. Starting a retail site is bloody hard ours is going since last february and we spend best part of a grand a month on seo & adwords and its only breaking even now. There is no problem registering as a sole trader.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭tacofries

There's no need to form a company. If you set up as a sole trader you will not have to fill in anywhere near as much paperwork and wont be committed to any annual legalities/obligations such as having your books audited or file a return (which you will have to do if you are a company!).

Advertisement