Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commercial lease renewal

Options
  • 04-12-2014 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,157 ✭✭✭

Hi folks, quick question. I'm currently coming to the end of a 12 month lease on a commercial property. I would like keep the property on at the end of the lease on a month to month basis, as I am not sure if I'll need it for another 12 months. I was also hoping to renegotiate the rent as it is very steep vs equivalent vacant properties in the area (which are plentiful). The landlord recently sent a new 12 month agreement for me to sign at the current rate. They wouldn't have a hope of leasing the property again quickly or at the rate I am paying.

What are my rights here. Can I insist on a rolling agreement where I can end the lease with reasonable notice (say 2-3 months). I am really not keen on being locked in for another 12 months. Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,333 ✭✭✭✭Victor

mickeyk wrote: »
    What are my rights here.
    As I understand it, not a lot - accept, reject or negotiate. Commercial tenants don't gain many rights until 3-5 years in.

The landlord may want to raise the rent if you want it on a month by month basis. What might be more palatable might be a 1 year lease (payable monthly), with a break clause requiring 3 months notice.

Having a solicitor look over the lease and give you some suggestions might be useful.

Advertisement