Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electricity security deposit?

Options
  • 04-12-2014 9:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭

Any help greatly appreciated? I'm moving to rent my own place. Wondering about the security deposit and do I have to pay such a crazy amount? Or will they charge me interest if I don't? Rent to be paid in advance plus a deposit is enough to pay for now.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

If you sign up to direct debit they normally won't ask for the deposit.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,349 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Shop around. There are several suppliers.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

ken wrote: »
    If you sign up to direct debit they normally won't ask for the deposit.
    Victor wrote: »
    Shop around. There are several suppliers.
    Nothing wrong with shopping around, but I have recently done that, and it seems that what ken says is generally the case: unless you agree to pay by DD, the suppliers require you to pay a security deposit. If you don't do one or the other, you won't get electricity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Sign up to DD. Electric Ireland sends a bill and 14 days later takes the money from your account. No deposit needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

because billing is done in arrears, they need a way cover themselves if someone does a runner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,436 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Nothing wrong with shopping around, but I have recently done that, and it seems that what ken says is generally the case: unless you agree to pay by DD, the suppliers require you to pay a security deposit. If you don't do one or the other, you won't get electricity.

Makes sense to me. They got stung by plenty of people in the past. If you won't trust them with a DD, why should they trust you?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭MidnightQueen

Thank you for your comments. I wasn't sure if there were many suppliers around who didn't need a deposit. Thanks again.

Advertisement