Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting out

Options
  • 04-12-2014 8:53pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8

So, want to take up martial arts. I want to commit to martial arts for the next 5 years (at least). I'm totally new to the sport. I was thinking of starting Brazilian jiu jitsu.

Background: I participated in sport to a very high level (national level) up till about 24 or 25. I'm 33 now, 6ft 4 and have gotten very overweight. I had a bad dose of depression/panic/anxiety/etc for several years (was in hospital for a few months). Also developed serious enough gambling addiction after I came out of the hospital. I've had a "normal" 9 to 5 job for almost 4 years now. Want to connect with my inner self again.

Am I too old to compete? How long would it take a man of my age with zero fighting experience (bar one or two back alley brawls) to get to a basic level?

What about panic and fighting? Maybe learning how to fight and physical conditioning would help me with this? Or maybe I would be banned from competing with this problem?

Been doing a bit of running the last week - trying to get the weight down. I don't want to go to a gym - I find the atmosphere in modern gyms very unpleasant. I'd prefer if it was just guys around with no distractions (other women, kids, etc.)

How should I go about starting? Maybe my attitude is all wrong? I understand I've a huge amount to learn.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

So, want to take up martial arts. I want to commit to martial arts for the next 5 years (at least). I'm totally new to the sport. I was thinking of starting Brazilian jiu jitsu.

Background: I participated in sport to a very high level (national level) up till about 24 or 25. I'm 33 now, 6ft 4 and have gotten very overweight. I had a bad dose of depression/panic/anxiety/etc for several years (was in hospital for a few months). Also developed serious enough gambling addiction after I came out of the hospital. I've had a "normal" 9 to 5 job for almost 4 years now. Want to connect with my inner self again.

Am I too old to compete? How long would it take a man of my age with zero fighting experience (bar one or two back alley brawls) to get to a basic level?

What about panic and fighting? Maybe learning how to fight and physical conditioning would help me with this? Or maybe I would be banned from competing with this problem?

Been doing a bit of running the last week - trying to get the weight down. I don't want to go to a gym - I find the atmosphere in modern gyms very unpleasant. I'd prefer if it was just guys around with no distractions (other women, kids, etc.)

How should I go about starting? Maybe my attitude is all wrong? I understand I've a huge amount to learn.

I'd drop the attitude toward gender anyway. A training partner is a training partner and everyone deserves respect in the gym regardless. There's plenty you can learn from training with the opposite sex.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Malolan

Hey RadharcAilainn, if you would say where you are based/live it would be easier to suggest you some places with BJJ classes.
    Brazilian Jiu Jitsu is a fun and stress-freeing experience. I'm almost 40, doing it for staying or rather becoming fit and for fun. Couldn't recommend it more. Give it a try!

Hey RadharcAilainn, if you would say where you are based/live it would be easier to suggest you some places with BJJ classes.
    Brazilian Jiu Jitsu is a fun and stress-freeing experience. I'm almost 40, doing it for staying or rather becoming fit and for fun. Couldn't recommend it more.
    Give it a try!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8 RadharcAilainn

Malolan wrote: »
    Brazilian Jiu Jitsu is a fun and stress-freeing experience. I'm almost 40, doing it for staying or rather becoming fit and for fun. Couldn't recommend it more.
    Give it a try!

I live in Dublin city. Don't really care about location - have wheels.

What do you think about Straight Blast Gym or Jorge Santos (Capel Street)?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8 RadharcAilainn

FTA69 wrote: »
    I'd drop the attitude toward gender anyway. A training partner is a training partner and everyone deserves respect in the gym regardless. There's plenty you can learn from training with the opposite sex.

Grand. I'm not going to get into a rad fem argument with you. There are other forums where you can do that all day (and night) long. All I'm looking for is a gym with a fraternal atmosphere where men who want to fight go to. If there are women and kids around, then that's fine too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Grand. I'm not going to get into a rad fem argument with you. There are other forums where you can do that all day (and night) long. All I'm looking for is a gym with a fraternal atmosphere where men who want to fight go to. If there are women and kids around, then that's fine too.

Rad fem? Give me a break lad. I'm just pointing out the reality of modern gyms today, that doesn't make me some lunatic with agenda. The vast majority of decent MMA gyms etc will have women members and many of these women will train regularly and compete. I train in a spit-and-sawdust boxing gym in North London that has a few female competitive fighters; including city and regional A-class champions; some of which would box the ears off half of the lads in the gym.

You yourself admit you know little about training and came here to ask questions. I'm simply trying to tell you what to expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Doug Cartel

I'm not going to get into a rad fem argument with you.

Good thing too, as there was nothing radical about what he was saying.

Now, as to how you get started. It's easy. You make a list of what is available in your area and then you go try a few classes.

I live in Dublin city. Don't really care about location - have wheels.

What do you think about Straight Blast Gym or Jorge Santos (Capel Street)?

I personally have no experience training at SBG. I trained with Jorge Santos for some time and he is a very good instructor. His place in Capel St is of 1st class and he recently became affiliated with Atos Jiu Jitsu. If you're in South Side there's East Coast Jiu Jitsu Academy ran by a very talented Irish black belt Darragh O'Conaill - they have a systematized program of learning BJJ and intro/beginners classes are on Mon, Tue, Wed, Sat and Sun. I recently joined that place and I find the instructors, the people and the atmosphere very friendly and the way they teach you professional. There's also Gracie Barra in Dundrum with Chris Bowe, another Irish black belt with many professional wins. Check out those places and see where you feel the blues ;)

Advertisement