Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HORSES FOR HIRE!!!

Options
  • 04-12-2014 7:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭

Hi folks, I've recently taken up riding. My goal was to take part in the local hunt on St. Stephens day but I can't afford a horse at the moment. I have experience with horses as I worked on a stud farm for a year and I've taken very quickly to riding. A friend was telling me he heard of places which allow people to hire out a horse for a day. Is this true? Does anyone know of somewhere in the greater Kildare area? Thanks for your help?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

TheClubMan wrote: »
    Hi folks, I've recently taken up riding. My goal was to take part in the local hunt on St. Stephens day but I can't afford a horse at the moment. I have experience with horses as I worked on a stud farm for a year and I've taken very quickly to riding. A friend was telling me he heard of places which allow people to hire out a horse for a day. Is this true? Does anyone know of somewhere in the greater Kildare area? Thanks for your help?

I'd say equestrian thread is best bet

• Registered Users Posts: 13,298 ✭✭✭✭fits

If you phone up the hunt secretary they should be able to put you in touch with someone who will hire out a horse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

Most hunts do.
    All you need to do is arrange horse arrive suited and booted. And have a couple of hundred and more in your back pocket.

The horse ( called a hireling) will cost a bit and then the hunt will charge you a good bit for the day as you are not a member.

However it's a great day out.

Stephens day thou may or may not be the best day of hunting.
    It's more showman ship.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭TheClubMan

fits wrote: »
    If you phone up the hunt secretary they should be able to put you in touch with someone who will hire out a horse.

Great I'll try that. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭TheClubMan

monflat wrote: »
    Most hunts do.
    All you need to do is arrange horse arrive suited and booted. And have a couple of hundred and more in your back pocket.

The horse ( called a hireling) will cost a bit and then the hunt will charge you a good bit for the day as you are not a member.

However it's a great day out.

Stephens day thou may or may not be the best day of hunting.
    It's more showman ship.
    A couple of hundred!? I didn't think it would be that expensive!? The hunt usually passes through my father's land so maybe we could come to an arrangement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

TheClubMan wrote: »
    A couple of hundred!? I didn't think it would be that expensive!? The hunt usually passes through my father's land so maybe we could come to an arrangement.

Yes each hunt is different alright.
    The hunt I used to hunt with had different types of membership.
    Land owners membership and regular membership.

Even thou you were a member you still had to pay a fee ( cap) on each days hunting.

Hopefully you may get a good horse and a reduced cap..

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭TheFarrier

Being a landowner you may be given a reduced cap for the day's hunting, but the horse will usually be hired from a private individual rather than the hunt itself, this usually costs a minimum of €150 for the day

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Personally, I always found the Stephen's Day hunts too big and usually ended up with long queues for a few fences with a good deal of roadwork. I'd try for another day, if you could. Also be aware of different meets having different type of country. There are a few places I'd NEVER hunt due to v bad land and dirty drains.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭nearzero

Contact Abbeyfield Farm - they used to organise and hire out horses for hunting. I think they still do!

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭mothoin

yea Daragh still does hirelings, or try hunt "horse hire ireland" search that on facebook, or search abbeyfield farm for Daragh O'Neill, your looking at 100-150 euro for the hire of the horse, plus cap for the day on top which would be 50-80 depending on the hunt, I wouldn't think Stephens Day with the south county would suit you, its quite a stiff run, the Kildare Foxhounds is a bit more sedate, either way you will have a big crowd! maybe a charity run to start you off would be best!

• Advertisement
Advertisement