Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horse Question?

Options
  • 04-12-2014 6:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭

Hi all,

I have a 3/4 bred bay mare that I now have to sell through no fault of hers.
    I basically have a newborn and plan on having a few more and I can't get the time to ride out the mare anymore as all my family are 2 hours from where I live so I have no-one to babysit.
    Anyhow to get to the point, I was thinking of putting her up on done deal in the hope that she finds a good home. (I'd nearly give her away if I knew she was going to be well looked after as I am mad about her). My question is really to see if anyone knows if there is a market for horses like her nowadays and how much should I ask for her? (I'm very much out o the loop with whats selling these days)
    She is 12 yrs old, has hunted for years with scarteen hunt and is very quiet in all areas, to shoe, box, clip, ride etc.
    Any info, greatly appreciated..

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Hi Scaredycat, I'm not sure if Donedeal is as big a no-no for horses as it is for dogs, but I'd be inclined to urge caution until you've got some advice from horsey people!
    To that end, I'll move your enquiry to the Equestrian forum.
    Be aware that a different charter applies now.
    All the best,
    DBB

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭scaredycat

Ok Thanks DBB.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

Hi there.

Would you consider asking any of the equestrian colleges would they take her?

Grennan college enniskillen or gurteen

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭sipstrassi

Hi scardeycat,

Based on my own experience, I would leave her with someone (you know or recommended to you) to do a bit of sales prep and then take her to the sales. I found with donedeal there were a lot of time wasters, bad (harsh) riders and 'window shoppers'.

S

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭TheFarrier

If the mare has hunted regularly I would recommend asking hunting friends to put the word about that your horse is for sale.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

You could also put up notices in your local tack shop, and maybe try contacting the local riding clubs who may put a notice up on their website. As The Farrier has suggested, word of mouth is always a good thing, and good, safe hunters are always in demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Squuzzling

I think Enniskillen are looking for a horse to replace one that coliced 2 weeks ago.

Should contact them just to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭scaredycat

Great thanks Squuzzling

Advertisement