Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Confused about age requirement to take D1 driving test without CPC

Options
  • 04-12-2014 1:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Trying to get my D1 licence at the moment for the minibus.
    As it stand you need to be at least 24 years of age to take the D test, however you can take the test if you;re younger than 24 if you have a CPC completed.
    I rang the RSA yesterday to ask them if this 24 years age limit also included the D1, and was told yes it involves cateogies under the D.

So just now when scheduling my CPC I noticed that is says this.

Category D: Buses having passenger accommodation for more than 8 persons in addition to the driver where the MAM1 of the trailer is not greater than 750 kg.

Minimum Age: 24 years or 21 years with CPC

Category D1: Buses in category D having passenger accommodation for not more than 16 persons in addition to the driver with a maximum length not exceeding 8 metres and where the MAM1 of the trailer is not greater than 750 kg.

Minimum Age: 21 years

So which is it? Was the person on the phone wrong in telling me I need the CPC done because I'm 24 for the D1?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

If you're not taking the CPC tests before the practical then you have to be 24 years old.

If you are taking the CPC test then 21 Years is the requirement.

They basically want all new drivers to be CPC qualified if they are under 24.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 DAFbus

Faith+1 wrote: »
    If you're not taking the CPC tests before the practical then you have to be 24 years old.

If you are taking the CPC test then 21 Years is the requirement.

They basically want all new drivers to be CPC qualified if they are under 24.

Just rang the CPC office there and asked for clarification. Turns out what I was told was wrong.

Its 24 or 21 with CPC for the D licence. But for the D1 you can just go ahead and do it without the CPC if you're under 24.

Wish they'd make these things more clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

I can depend who you are talking to on the end of the phone!
    The RSA website is usually fairly spot on with it's information.

DAFbus wrote: »
    Just rang the CPC office there and asked for clarification. Turns out what I was told was wrong.

Its 24 or 21 with CPC for the D licence. But for the D1 you can just go ahead and do it without the CPC if you're under 24.

Wish they'd make these things more clear.

It's 24 years old for D and D1 without Cpc. As another poster said you get different info from whoever you're talking to in the RSA.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Beer Assistant

You should really go for the full D licence which covers D1 anyway, opens more doors for you longterm.

• Advertisement

It's 24 years old for D and D1 without Cpc. As another poster said you get different info from whoever you're talking to in the RSA.

Rang the CPC crowd and spoke to a supervisor after the first person i talked to was unsure. It says it clear as day on the CPC booking form too. Think I'm more inclined to believe you dont need it for the D1 now.

DAFbus wrote: »
    Rang the CPC crowd and spoke to a supervisor after the first person i talked to was unsure. It says it clear as day on the CPC booking form too. Think I'm more inclined to believe you dont need it for the D1 now.

Looked up Citizens information and it's 21 for a D1 and 24 without Cpc for D.

Sorry my bad!

Looked up Citizens information and it's 21 for a D1 and 24 without Cpc for D.

Sorry my bad!

What will happen now is I'll show up for the test and the tester will be like, "wheres your CPC?". Bet you something like that will happen

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭fiverfriday

Hi everyone,

Quick question similar to above;

I know I've to sit a CPC for the D licence if under 24, but what test is it? Is it the bus module test I've to sit before booking the actual theory test?

Tia.

Advertisement