Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Temporary Overclock?

• 03-12-2014 10:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭

Specs: http://gyazo.com/29770a14a61877b840f58eb67fa310fa (My CPU temp reaches max 50 degrees while playing DayZ)

So I play this game, DayZ Standalone, some of you may know it and I get approx 10-30FPS. I've heard overclocking increases the FPS dramatically on this game. I only have the stock cooler at the moment and before I invest time and money in buying a cooler and installing it I was wondering if I could temporarily overclock my CPU to test the FPS for a few minutes with just the stock cooler, just to see if there's a significant performance increase.

Not sure if this is a stupid question but I'm interested in your opinions. Also let me know if overclocking increased your DayZ FPS.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Luck100

Just take it in small steps and keep watching your temps with HwInfo or realtemp. What cpu and motherboard do you have? Not all of them support overclocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

You can overclock easily temporary. Just reset your bios when you are finished back to stock. Well mine does anyway. had to do it a few times when I first overclocked as i was using guides for different motherboards and different bios settings, as mine were different than the guides so i was doing things wrong and PC would shut down during stress testing etc...

It's actually quite simple once you get your head around the settings and such. Well kinda still don't know what most of the settings do but I have my own PC running 4 GHz fine and that's from a 2.67 GHz CPU.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Elana_29

Scirpt wrote: »

So I play this game, DayZ Standalone, some of you may know it and I get approx 10-30FPS. I've heard overclocking increases the FPS dramatically on this game. I only have the stock cooler at the moment and before I invest time and money in buying a cooler and installing it I was wondering if I could temporarily overclock my CPU to test the FPS for a few minutes with just the stock cooler, just to see if there's a significant performance increase.

Not sure if this is a stupid question but I'm interested in your opinions. Also let me know if overclocking increased your DayZ FPS.

I'd recommend getting an after market cooler before attempting to do and overclocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Wetbench4

I overclocked my i5 3570K to 4GHz on stock cooler and temps were still fine, between 70 - 80c max iirc and with about 3 or 4 case fans. The stock 3570K turbo's up to 3.8Ghz anyway so just keep an eye on the temps.

I'm using a hyper 212 cpu cooler now and its running well at 4.2Ghz, could probably get more but haven't found the need to tbh.

Advertisement