Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Urgent advice needed

Options
  • 03-12-2014 8:28pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,280 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys-

I'm reposting this from the PI forum- on behalf of the OP. I would be grateful if constructive advice could be given- any messing and I will take action.

Thanks guys,

The_Conductor

Hi all

posting here as really don't know what to do. Myself an my bf have been told we have to be out of our current apartment by the end of february. We are on rent allowance however and so finding it hard to find somewhere that will accept the RA, actually it's proving impossible.
    I was talking to my parents earlier and they just happened to say what will we do if we don't find somewhere. I said I would find a houseshare around where I'm living at the moment and bf will most likely go home if it comes to it as he is not interested in sharing with people.
    I have a guide dog also. My "dad" then proceeded to say, completely unprompted that I wasn't going to be aloud into the house with the dog because they did it up a few years ago, he then added that no one will share with a dog, guide dog or not.
    I am upset that i have been told point blank that i am not welcome, because even though it wouldn't have been the most pleasant of situations, to have the option would have been welcomed. My mum won't stand up to him why i don't know. I am not his biological daughter so obviously this is why he is able to turn me away with such ease.
    I honestly don't know what to do now, i am terrified that we won't find anywhere and then what am I supposed to do?
    Any advice appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭on_my_oe

I can't offer any advice but you have my sympathies - family dynamics are tricky!

As you have a disability, surely it's illegal to discriminate against the guide dog, although I could understand a landlords reservations

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

It's not a landlord, it's her step dad saying she can't move back home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I've re-posted the reply I gave on the PI thread...

***Get on to the CWO and explain your situation ASAP. I've heard of situations where the CWO will allow rent over the RA limit in certain circumstances. Yours could very well be one of them. List of CWO's to be found here.

I'd also get on to the Local Authority and ask them about bumping up your position on the housing list. I assume you're on the list as you're claiming RA.

Hell - even make a nuisance of yourself with the local TD's. Let them earn their corn for once...

Good luck!***

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭on_my_oe

January wrote: »
    It's not a landlord, it's her step dad saying she can't move back home.

Sorry, I was aware of that, my comment about discrimination is in reference to not being able to find another place e.g. No landlord being willing to rent to her because of the dog.

Apologies I didn't make it clear - my bad

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Th3B1tcH

I would contract NCBI (only blind place I can tink of sure there are more )or ur support worker if you have one.
    I fully understand most people that are blind lead normal life but in this case might need extra help as housing is scarce and alot LL wont take RA (dog really shudnt be issue as its not a pet and they will know highly trained),
    Some of the places that work with the blind may have own houses and/or contacts with LL's tat will accept a person in your position mostly LL's refuse RA as tar all RA clients with same brush cause of afew.
    GL hope you get sorted fast :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,804 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Plenty of houses in different parts of the country will accept RA. I'd suggest looking there. As someone said, contact NCBI and see if there are any particular areas where they can offer more support than others. Ideally where you can get work and so not be dependent on RA - but that might be asking too much.

Frankly, adult children should not expect that they can bounce back home any 'ole time that that want. Your parents have raised you. Now it's up to you to look after yourself. If you cannot do that, then you move back under their rules, which sounds like it means no dogs. Their house, their call.

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Plenty of houses in different parts of the country will accept RA. I'd suggest looking there. As someone said, contact NCBI and see if there are any particular areas where they can offer more support than others. Ideally where you can get work and so not be dependent on RA - but that might be asking too much.

Frankly, adult children should not expect that they can bounce back home any 'ole time that that want. Your parents have raised you. Now it's up to you to look after yourself. If you cannot do that, then you move back under their rules, which sounds like it means no dogs. Their house, their call.

That isn't really a choice in this instance as it's a service dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭percy212

Are you a robot who spits out heartless answers to all posters on boards? Seriously, read the OP. If you don't have anything helpful to add to the thread, then go oil yourself.

percy212 wrote: »
    Are you a robot who spits out heartless answers to all posters on boards? Seriously, read the OP. If you don't have anything helpful to add to the thread, then go oil yourself.

Attack the post, not the poster - if you've a problem with the post report it and leave it to the mod team to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Eldarion

Honestly, it looks like the OP needs to widen her search. She's in a tough situation yes but she does have options if she looks for them, just not many of them would be exactly what she'd like. Her personal situation is between her and her family, but her RA situation is more than likely due to her just not looking further out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Th3B1tcH

Just wanted to add 3 points as see alot saying RA accepted easier different parts of the country
    1. Caps change depending on area and still not easy find 1 ( have a friend searching last 2 months)
    2. Blind people also "learn" there route so can be very difficult to change areas its not as you or I simply move area's
    3. If on a council list awhile (assuming so as has a need )she'll lose her place on current queue and have restart from bottom in that as others with medical needs will be on list longer

Houseshares will be hard get as alot not all people will see her as extra "work" / unable pull her weight

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

I've re-posted the reply I gave on the PI thread...

***Get on to the CWO and explain your situation ASAP. I've heard of situations where the CWO will allow rent over the RA limit in certain circumstances. Yours could very well be one of them. List of CWO's to be found here.

I'd also get on to the Local Authority and ask them about bumping up your position on the housing list. I assume you're on the list as you're claiming RA.

Hell - even make a nuisance of yourself with the local TD's. Let them earn their corn for once...

Good luck!***

The best of advice above, discretion is built into the system for cases for cases just like yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭daUbiq

You're a moderator? :confused:

And your better suggestion for the OP is, exactly?

S/he is not going to get a RA house in Dublin. That's just the way Dublin is at the moment, and the way that various government actions have made LL's view RA. So really the answer is pretty obvious.

Heartless would be telling him/her to move into a car.

Realistic is telling her to look for housing elsewhere, and reminding her to co-ordinate with the appropriate support organisation.

That isn't really a choice in this instance as it's a service dog.

Which is still an optional accessory: visually impaired people can function without service dogs. (Yes, I can name some.)

For all we know, there may be other family members who the parents need to consider, eg a child who's allergic to dogs.

Bottom line is still parents house = parents rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭bar32

Mrs O Bumble, it is most definitely not easy to move from Dublin(large urban area) as glibly as you say it is. OP has links/family ties/supports in the Dublin area. She knows the area which is massive for someone with a visual impairment. She can't drive so living in the sticks would cause huge isolation.

The tone of your comments lack all empathy. They are very black and white.

Also there is no mention of dog allergies anywhere. Don't introduce something just to get defensive and leverage your argument.

The conductor's original comments seem sensible and highly useful. I wish the OP the best of luck.

Edited to add: At this stage, after having the use of the guide dog, having one is not an "optional extra".

Mrs 'OBumble can you please be mindful that your posts are coming across as very harsh with regards to a sensitive subject.

Also, please do not react to a post that has been dealt with by the moderation team. Goading another poster won't be tolerated.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

***Get on to the CWO and explain your situation ASAP.***

This is the best advice. They may have a number of different ways to deal with it.

WRT the dog, is discrimination based on a guide dog counted as discrimination against a disability? I ask because you often see 'no dogs, except guide dogs' signs at the entrance of shops/restaurants/etc. but I'm not sure if that's from equality legislation and if it applies in this instance.

This is the best advice. They may have a number of different ways to deal with it.

WRT the dog, is discrimination based on a guide dog counted as discrimination against a disability? I ask because you often see 'no dogs, except guide dogs' signs at the entrance of shops/restaurants/etc. but I'm not sure if that's from equality legislation and if it applies in this instance.

Yes, discrimination against a disability-service animal is illegal - but are you really suggesting that the OP takes his/her parents to the Equity Authority? I don't see that as helping the relationship or the housing situation.

The CWO cannot:
    • Make the current LL change his/her mind about the need to move out: lawful notice has been given, we have to assume that the LL has other plans for the property
    • Make a new LL willing to accept RA: most won't because of the rules of the game, rather than the rent levels
    • Make the council find a suitable vacanct house from their eldery-and-disabled stock (ironically, having a guide dog makes this more difficult because of the dog's need for more space.)
    • Convince the step-father to not discriminate against the dog

So - if the OP can find a place where the LL would accept RA but is demanding higher-than-cap rent, then it is worth going to see them. But until then, it's a total waste of time. The only possible thing they can do is give a hint about what rent-cap-level that they might consider. I don't know if they're giving these hints out or not - and I actually thought that the higher levels were only to help sustain at-risk tenancies rather than to establish new ones.

I'm sure that the OP is well aware of the need to work his/her own networks to try to find a place that might accept him/her on RA, even though they don't usually take RA tenants. That's so obvious that no one is even going bother stating it.

The only other constructive advice that I can possibly think of - apart from what I and several others have already posted - is to focus on working with a disability support organisation (NCBI, Enable, NLN, etc) to find a job, and therefore take the RA out of the equation. This would remove the major factor which is limiting the OPs ability to get a new place.

Yes, it sucks that some parents won't accept their adult children back home again. But the place to be empathetic and talk about that is Personal Issues. This forum is for concrete advice about the realities of Accommodation and Property, and sometimes those facts are not at all nice, but are what people need to hear.

I never said that it would be easy for the OP to move further away: it's not easy for anyone. But just because they have a disability does not make it impossible. In fact I'd say it's positively demeaning to suggest that a person with a disability is not able to move to a new area.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Yes, discrimination against a disability-service animal is illegal - but are you really suggesting that the OP takes his/her parents to the Equity Authority? I don't see that as helping the relationship or the housing situation.

Oh no I wasn't suggesting that at all, merely in the case of if/when the OP were looking for somewhere to rent.

As to the CWO, I haven't had experience of the system or what tools are at their disposal but it is surely worth asking them first and seeing what they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭percy212

In this persons position I would do the following:

Contact a CWO as recommended above
    Go to a local TD's office as recommended above
    Go to some county councillors (they must be good for something)
    Go to your local newspaper and ask them to do a piece on your situation. Its a good human interest story, and there is nothing like publicity to get officials moving..
    Try contacting The Hub Ireland on facebook. They have been able to help a few people with landlord and housing problems. I would venture to say they could at least negotiate a delay on everything until another arrangement is in place.

This is a horrible situation, and I wish the person in question the very best of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Sala

In this persons position I would do the following:

Contact a CWO as recommended above
    Go to a local TD's office as recommended above
    Go to some county councillors (they must be good for something)
    Go to your local newspaper and ask them to do a piece on your situation. Its a good human interest story, and there is nothing like publicity to get officials moving..
    Try contacting The Hub Ireland on facebook. They have been able to help a few people with landlord and housing problems. I would venture to say they could at least negotiate a delay on everything until another arrangement is in place.

This is a horrible situation, and I wish the person in question the very best of luck.

Agree with this. Contact everyone who can possibly help.

On an aside, I think looking for a house share with a guide dog may be easier than with a pet dog - I am not a fan of dogs and certainly wouldn't rent a room to someone with a pet dog but would have no problem with a guide dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭Squatman

Have you even read the op?
    and where exactly is "there"?? plus, i resent the fact that you describe a person with disabilities as "adult Children", this is terrible form on behalf of a boards representative. Finally, she never asked a damn thing about work, so why bring it up??? Troll.

OP, if on the off chance you are living in Mayo send me a PM, and i will be able to help you with a house ...

And your better suggestion for the OP is, exactly?

S/he is not going to get a RA house in Dublin. That's just the way Dublin is at the moment, and the way that various government actions have made LL's view RA. So really the answer is pretty obvious.

Heartless would be telling him/her to move into a car.

Realistic is telling her to look for housing elsewhere, and reminding her to co-ordinate with the appropriate support organisation.

Which is still an optional accessory: visually impaired people can function without service dogs. (Yes, I can name some.)

For all we know, there may be other family members who the parents need to consider, eg a child who's allergic to dogs.

Bottom line is still parents house = parents rules.

Nowhere in the OP does it mention that the person in living in Dublin... Quit making up scenarios. Use that effort to stay on topic and come up with helpful ideas

Ok folks, Just a reminder of the rules here.
    If you have a problem with a post, please report it and the mods will deal with it in due course.
    I realise that some posts have been made that have annoyed people but attacking a poster is against the rules.
    I'd appreciate cooperation on this rule.

Thanks,

Morri

• Registered Users Posts: 36 alex03

The CWO doen't have discretion to increase rent supplement anymore but there is a payment administered through Threshold for cases such as this and they can arrange a top up payment to help prevent homelessness. Contact Threshold in the morning and arrange an appointment. Best of luck,

Squatman wrote: »
    plus, i resent the fact that you describe a person with disabilities as "adult Children", this is terrible form on behalf of a boards representative. Finally, she never asked a damn thing about work, so why bring it up??? .

A person over the age of 18 is an adult chld of their parents. This is totally irrespective of whether they haven't disability or not. I am an adult children of my parents, and you are of yours.

And work is totally relevant, because it's the way off RA, which is what will make it hard for the OP to find a new place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭bluemartin

In view of recent tragic events with regards homeless people, posters would want to be very sensitive around this whole distressing issue.

OP you have been advised to go to your local Community Welfare Officer, that is the best solution anyone can offer you in regards discretion on amount of RA you can receive.

Just seen Alex03 post above he is advising you to contact Threshold regarding getting a discretionary payment to make up the shortfall.

It would be very easy if there was more help and support made available to those at risk of homelessness, I mean how many at risk individuals would know they need to go to Threshold to get aid in situations like this???

A person over the age of 18 is an adult chld of their parents. This is totally irrespective of whether they haven't disability or not. I am an adult children of my parents, and you are of yours.

And work is totally relevant, because it's the way off RA, which is what will make it hard for the OP to find a new place.

work and availability of work is not questioned in the OP and is therfore irrelevant. given that the op has a guide dog, he/she may not be in a position to be able to work, but again, that still off topic

Mrs OBumble, please don't post in this thread again.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I have a guide dog also. My "dad" then proceeded to say, completely unprompted that I wasn't going to be aloud into the house with the dog because they did it up a few years ago, he then added that no one will share with a dog, guide dog or not.
    On the bolded part; is there extra work with a guide dog, and are you entitled to any assistance for the guide dog? I do not know how badly your sight is, so are there any tasks that you would be incapable of doing, regarding caring for your dog?

=-=

Anyhoo's, have a read of http://www.disability.ie/entitlements/entitlements/housing/480-housing-options if you haven't already. It provides some suggestions, and a list of organisations that may be able to help you.

Advertisement