Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inability to get a job?

Options
  • 03-12-2014 7:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I don't know if this is the wrong sub-section, so feel free to move it if it isn't. I'm frustrated at myself, and feel like i'm in a black hole that I can't climb out of. I'm in college at the moment doing a course that i'm absolutely not happy with. First semester, first year. I never wanted to go into college because I havent figured out what I want to do with my life yet, and would much rather be working and making money, but parents talked me into it as I wasn't doing anything with my life.

I've been hunting for a job since I was 19, I am now 22 and only have 2 weeks of work experience for a course module, unpaid. I can't find a job, I can't even get an interview and when I do (i've only had two) I just dont get called up again. I know it's too early to despair but that's how I'm feeling, I feel like my life is going by me and i'm just effing it all up and am in a panic these days over it. I've been applying for the past week nonstop, selling myself to the best of my ability and got a call for an interview, but it was one of those marketing companies, and they told me I would be self-employed working full time therefore no guarantees of being kept on. The thing is I cant leave college and go back to nothing, i just feel completely useless like a failure if I did and my parents wont let me. I want to find a job that's full time so I can just withdraw from college and work full time until I figure out what I wanna do. Part time is fine too. I've made sure to state that i'm willing to work any day of the week, including bank holidays and weekends, and also said that if offered a full time position I would be putting my college place on hold as I have my heart set on working.

I just don't know what to do, everyone in my class that looks for a job seems to get one. When I ask them how they got it they always tell me their dad got it or mom, or friend recommended them which is great, they're lucky but I dont have that. I feel like everyone has a job but me. I don't know what I want from this thread, just needed to vent. Feel like **** and just want some advice or to know if anyone else feels the same way.

To clarify, this miserable attitude is not the attitude I display while trying to get a job!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭NotaSheep

Hello sofrustrated. I can sympathize with your situation as I too didn't follow the traditional educational path. I mastered 2 semesters on a course I didn't want and haven't liked, to appease my family's wishes. I then broke off and went working eventually returning to college few years later, studying something I wanted, and achieving a first class honours degree. You shouldn't feel down because you momentarily have no success with your job search. There are things you can control (that is you putting in your effort) and things you cannot control (the outcome). There is no point stressing about things you can't control. You are putting yourself under immense pressure to come up with the goods (I have been there - telling my folks about my decision to quit the course was not a walk in the park). I am guessing you are not going through family members etc because you are trying to keep your job search discrete? What type of job are you looking for and where? Have you tried the students employment office/career office - they might be able to help. Is there a placement office there? You could start as a student placement hopefully leading up to a paid job? Only other help I can offer is to look at your CV and see whether improvements can be made. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

It's reassuring to hear that someone was under the same circumstances once and managed to turn it all ok. That is exactly what I want, I want to work now and then go to college once I figure out what I wanna do. I know there's no point stressing over it but I wanted to find a job before the first semester is over but I feel like I won't and the same thing will happen like the other years where I really have the expectation that i'll find something and then don't. I'm not happy in this course, I feel depressed and its hard to get out of bed so leaving isn't something i'll regret. You're right, my family doesn't know. They only know i'm looking for part time, I wanna approach them about it once I already have succeeded getting a job, not while searching you know? I'm looking for anything I can find through jobs.ie that doesnt require experience; stock, cleaning, serving/waitress jobs, fast food, retail, i'm not picky. I actually never heard of any office like that but I will be looking for one in my town, thank you very much for the suggestion! I think my CV isn't too bad as I had someone who is experience with CV making do it for me, all i've done is update my information but if you still would like to have a look at it i'll send it to you. Thanks for the reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭NotaSheep

I'll gladly have a look. The offices I referred to should be at your campus or unis main site if there are mutliple sites.
    I can't private message you my e-mail address though as you are only registered as a guest, not sure if you can message me yours?

Advertisement