Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tracing water leak / good plumber in Cork?

Options
  • 03-12-2014 5:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭

Anyone know the name/number of a good plumber / "leak finder" around Cork city? The downstairs apartment are complaining about water leaking in from their ceiling, but there's no signs of anything leaking here.

I don't know for certain that it's coming from mine, but need to find out as soon as possible. Will they have to take up floor boards to trace the leak?

Any help appreciated!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,644 ✭✭✭Milly33

Try Rob McGarry https://plus.google.com/100186812614269414397/about?gl=ie&hl=en

It all depends sometimes they will have to take up the boards. But they wont go in ripping them up

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

I'd bet on your shower/ bath.

80% of the time it's them

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭chakotha

Yer could be the seal around the bath. It happened in a house I lived in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭blindsider

Update Plumbing & Heating
    80 Friar St, Cork
    (021) 436 6408

always found them excellent!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Thanks all.

Turns out it was a combination of problems - the ballcock in the water tank was causing the water level to be too high. It may have been splashing over slightly, but definitely was trickling out of the overflow pipe into the shower. Then, there was a hole in the shower grouting resulting in the leak and the shower walls being completely soaked (rotten?) behind the tiles.

D'oh! Next question... how much to change the basin and re-tile a shower? :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭blindsider

Hard to say.

If you're on a budget try the 'tile on a sheet' solution - e.g. product in MD O'Shea. Cheaper than tiles and a tiler - looks ok to me in the showroom.

This looks good too - http://www.multipanel.co.uk/multipanel/multipanelthelux.asp

Advertisement