Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tinnatarriff/Tineteriffe, Co. Limerick

Options
  • 03-12-2014 1:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Rather confused about this townland which lies within Cappamore in old Civil Parish of Tuogh (about 4.5klms from Cappamore village).

But when searching on the Census, the townland is listed under Caherconlish East, nearly 10 klms away.

Going through the records that I got from Roots, I've just noticed that the civil records are showing Tinnatarriff, Cappamore but all the children were baptised in Caherconlish 1890-1910.

Looking at Google map, the area to the right hand side of the main Limerick/Tipp road is now Cappamore including Tinnatarriff & but for some reason were part of Caherconlish parish back then..

Shane, maybe you can explain?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

The Caherconlish East mentioned on the census is the Electoral district or DED. The forms N and B both show the civil parish for the townland as Tuogh

The civil records would show the name of the sub-district

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭montgo

Many thanks, Shane. As I don't have the actual birth certificates, only the transcription from Roots, it just states Tinnatarriff as address & Caherconlish as Parish/District.

Placenames are often reused for different types of land divisions, which can cause problems... the full designation for the townland would be something like...

Townland : Tinnatarriff
    Civil Parish : Tuogh
    Barony : Owneybeg
    County : Limerick

Poor Law Union/Superintendent Registrar's District (aka Registration District): Limerick
    Registrar's District/Dispensary District (aka Registration sub-District) : Caherconlish
    Electoral District : Caherconlish East

Civil certs give both the district and sub-district, along with county etc, RootsIreland civil records are often classified under just the sub-district

Many thanks for comprehensive reply, Shane.

I will remember to look at Forms N/B on the Census in the future .

RC parish of Cappamore fits for Tuogh civil parish based on Lewis 37 and Cappamore Parish

• Advertisement

Thx for the links. Cappamore has been the worst place for locating my ancestors!

My ancestor's address was Kyle, Cappamore (recorded on his marriage cert 1870) and that is the name of the townland today. As he no longer lived there at the time of the census, I am having real difficulty in matching him up with any siblings. His father was dead and I don't know his mother's name as the Cappamore records are only available from mid 1840s.

So I assume for now that the Kyle townland should be in the parish of Doon as his surname is very common in that area and Kyle is located on Google map close to those townlands mentioned in Doon.

I'd say that Kyle relates to the townland of Kylegarve, which is in Doon civil parish, and part of Cappamore RC parish. It's located 6km east of Cappamore. It's located in Bilboa DED on the 1901 census

p.s. dont pay too much attention to the DEDs on the census returns (the placenames in brackets).. these can often mislead as they can be quite large areas named after other towns parishes etc

Okay, Shane.
    I hadn't even considered Kylegarve as it seems to be in a different direction from Kyle Road in Cappamore. I think that I will ask a cousin to show me exactly where Kyle is on my next visit. Thx for yr help.

I see that Kyle road on google maps, runs north east from Cappamore through several townlands in Doon Civil parish. It seems to loop around near the edge of the hills and not that far from Kylegarve. Following on from that Logainm gives a better match to your Kyle - Kilduffahoo / Cill Dubh Dhá Thuath, seems Kyle is a local name for part of the townland. That Kyle road runs through the townland. see here and OSI Map

Ah that's it then, Shane, Kilduffahoo & Buffanoky were 2 of the townlands where the surname was prevalent. I remember asking people including my mother and they had never heard of Kilduffahoo only Kyle.
    You have solved that mystery, many thanks. This narrows down my search area to locate siblings of my ggrandfather.

• Advertisement

Shane, can you help again.

Back to Kilduffahoo/Kyle in Co. Limerick, I can't believe that I hadn't noticed that Kilduffahoo does not appear on the 1911 census.

I am looking for Gleeson families that were on the 1901 Census here

Can/should I contact the NAI? Are the records just lost for this townland?

montgo wrote: »
    Shane, can you help again.

Back to Kilduffahoo/Kyle in Co. Limerick, I can't believe that I hadn't noticed that Kilduffahoo does not appear on the 1911 census.
    Can/should I contact the NAI? Are the records just lost for this townland?

The list of townlands under Doon West DED in 1911 is a little different, 6 vs 7 listed, and no sign of Kilduffahoo, that I can see in this or any of the adjacent DEDs (Glenstal , Abington, Bilboa, Doon South, Cappamore). There is that Kylegarve mentioned earlier in Bilboa DED, which is one of the adjacent DEDs.

There is a Kilduff townland closeby, but it's in Grean civil parish, and although the parish has a small section adjacent to Doon, this Kilduff is a separate townland, located between Pallas Grean old and New. There are a number of Kyl* townlands showing up on a search, but none that seem close geographically.. It could be your Kilduffahoo townland was recorded on pages now missing, unreadable or lost, or hopefully part of those that are available but were among those not filmed, in which case you would be able to view the originals in the NAI.

Sometimes searching for people with distinctive names can help locate mis-transcribed or misclassified entries in the later census - e.g. if the area ended up indexed under Tipperary instead of Limerick, or the townland name was completely misread etc

Shane,
    thank you again for your comprehensive reply.

Yes, I already looked for Amelia, George, Timothys anywhere in 1911 and nothing fitted, age/family wise.

I will try to contact NAI and ask them if the records are still available.

many thanks

Advertisement