Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting into Development

Options
  • 03-12-2014 12:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

hi guys,

Basically i'm calling on all the tech heads in this forum for some life advice :P
    I have a degree in business information systems, we have worked with languages such as C#, php, ASP. Some sql and oracle databases. But i have landed a job in a tech company, that has nothing to do with any of this.

The pay is good, but i feel like in a few years I will have lost any skills I have developed with college.
    What kind of language should I look at going forward? I mean i know Java is huge, i would love to get into games development C++ and LUA. but it seems to be very specific.

Any advice going forward would be appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭MaggotBrain

If you can't talk your way into a more technical role in your company, start applying for a new job. Do or die.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Cork981

If you can't talk your way into a more technical role in your company, start applying for a new job. Do or die.

Completely agree.

While your working maybe you could look into doing a masters to further progress your skills ?

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭LukeQuietus

You could keep the job and start working on open-source projects in you prefered language to stay sharp. I wouldn't be advising anyone just quit their job.

And any programming language you do use will make you a better programmer overall. So you'll have less of a learning curve with new languages or even shaking off the cobwebs for a language you used to use.

Do tutorials as much as possible and open-source projects and personal projects.

I'd recommend that regardless of the situation.

Advertisement