Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EHIC Health Card and Residency

Options
  • 02-12-2014 11:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭

Hi guys

Have a question about the EHIC Health Card. I understand it is issued by HSE only to residents of Ireland.

Is this based on ordinary residence rule? The rule says
    If you have been resident for the previous three tax years then you become ordinarily resident from the start of the fourth year. If you leave the country, you will continue to be ordinarily resident until you have been non-resident for three continuous tax years.

My understanding of this quote is that even if I leave the country and never come back, I'm still considered resident for another 3 years. Sounds weird to me but is that correct?

One of my family members moved out with the kids to other EU country in September. She doesn't work and won't register for unemployment or any benefits in the new country till Jan 1st. Just to keep things simple from the tax angle. She just needs to be sure she's covered till end of year (or even next 3 years, or at least until she goes to work and the health contributions shift to the country she's living in, assuming this is how it works in the first place).

So again, the basic question, is she still entitled to the EHIC coverage now and for how long
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

nacho66 wrote: »
    Hi guys

Have a question about the EHIC Health Card. I understand it is issued by HSE only to residents of Ireland.

Is this based on ordinary residence rule? The rule says

My understanding of this quote is that even if I leave the country and never come back, I'm still considered resident for another 3 years. Sounds weird to me but is that correct?

One of my family members moved out with the kids to other EU country in September. She doesn't work and won't register for unemployment or any benefits in the new country till Jan 1st. Just to keep things simple from the tax angle. She just needs to be sure she's covered till end of year (or even next 3 years, or at least until she goes to work and the health contributions shift to the country she's living in, assuming this is how it works in the first place).

So again, the basic question, is she still entitled to the EHIC coverage now and for how long

It depends on the country, but the EHIC is only for emergency treatment on a temporary basis.

S1 Form is the one she needs:

http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/work/social-security-forms/index_en.htm

Also depends on the country, some countries you have to pay and claim back. (on EHIC)

With the S1 you are insured under a treaty policy and have a local heath insurance card.

AFAIK you need to keep up your PRSI payments back in Ireland to do this.

Advertisement