Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is high milage for a 4 x4?

Options
  • 02-12-2014 11:29pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭

Just came across this article,

http://www.fwi.co.uk/machinery/hilux-racks-up-387-000-mile-son-original-engine-and-gearbox.htm?cmpid=sf6079355

387,000 miles is a nice bit of miles but not high milage in my opinion, neighbour had a cruiser with 350,000 miles done when he sold it on and was a flyer. Heard of a 3.1 trooper doing close to 500,000 miles there a few years back.
    Highest milage i put up on a 4x4 was 275,000 miles on a pajero and engine was running 100% when i sold on the jeep. What milage have ye seen or put up on a 4x4 and class as high milage.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

Interesting question given the lax attitude to servicing here!

There's plenty of tdi and Td5 Land Rovers put up 300k+ miles (lots of other bits will have fallen off in the meantime though!), regular servicing and oil changes is the secret, manufacturers oil change intervals are way too stretched these days. I'm only up to 167k miles on mine but bro in law is on over 260k km on his 05 defender 130 and still on original clutch as well.

Many think 200k is high miles, stand behind a truck driver who's just put €500 of diesel on the fuel card and hear the mileage he tells the guy behind the counter!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Kevin McCloud

Servicing is definitely a key factor in achieving high milage, take the london black taxis alot of them have the 2.7td engine that is the same engine in the nissan terrano and they are achieving nearly 1 million miles. One can argue the same engine in a taxi and a 4x4 have two very different lives so maybe the same engine in a terrano might not do the milage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

I believe it's all down to proper maintenance and the type of driver/owner and life a vehicle had. For example, I have yet to replace a clutch or gearbox in vehicle I ever had whereas neighbours and mates think it's great fun. I do something to mine nearly every weekend though. Whether it's just a bulb or a wash it's all maintenance.

Driving a 3.2 pajero with only 100k miles up yet. Most vehicles bodies give up the ghost long before the engine does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

Servicing is definitely a key factor in achieving high milage, take the london black taxis alot of them have the 2.7td engine that is the same engine in the nissan terrano and they are achieving nearly 1 million miles. One can argue the same engine in a taxi and a 4x4 have two very different lives so maybe the same engine in a terrano might not do the milage.

We had a 91 terrano with over 300k miles on it and the engine was still strong, but the body was falling apart. Not a 4*4, but we also had a citreon dispatch van , the 1.9na with over 450k miles done. Again, the body fell asunder before the engine.

There's one transit we have, it gets stop/started all day every day, the mileage is small, just 150k km and it is literally dying on it's feet, so I'd say lots of long journeys as opposed to constant short hops is the key to big miles/no deaths.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

True, mega motorway miles is a lot easier on an engine than lots of stop/start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

Routine servicing is the life of any machine. Though as Kay9 says, the body is usually first to go. My Cruiser has 240,000 miles and apart from a few small scratches, it's like new, and runs as well as the day I bought it 6 years ago. But then it wants for nothing...

I've also seen cruisers beat at 120,000 miles, because some poor soul thinks that you don't need to service it, or taking off in 3rd gear all the time is ok

TrailerBob wrote: »
    Routine servicing is the life of any machine. Though as Kay9 says, the body is usually first to go. My Cruiser has 240,000 miles and apart from a few small scratches, it's like new, and runs as well as the day I bought it 6 years ago. But then it wants for nothing...

I've also seen cruisers beat at 120,000 miles, because some poor soul thinks that you don't need to service it, or taking off in 3rd gear all the time is ok
    Sure enough, there is a few farmers around me too that would test the USA army's best tanks if they had towbars lol. Pure donkeys, no respect for anything. I notice the lads with less money/earnings seem to look after their gear better more often than not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 oising2014

Is there such a thing as a 05 Land Rover FreeLander 1.6 Litre

oising2014 wrote: »

More likely 1.8. Didn't think they did a 1600

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

oising2014 wrote: »

One running on three cylinders? Common enough I'd say...

• Advertisement

Read on another forum a member boasting of his high milage of 300,000km on a pajero, had a pic as proof.
    Only ran in at that milage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Seamus1964

3.2 Shogun, always looked after , apart from vacuum solenoid what needs to be changed , after 180 000 miles runs like new.
    Serviced every year - no troubles what-so-ever.
    Me no money..cheap ****e as I am

• Registered Users Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

Read on another forum a member boasting of his high milage of 300,000km on a pajero, had a pic as proof.
    Only ran in at that milage.

Exactly: only ran in sure thats not even 200k miles!, mine's on 370,000kms and I'd call it low for a 22 year old machine. Still sweet as a nut too.

Cheensbo wrote: »
    Exactly: only ran in sure thats not even 200k miles!, mine's on 370,000kms and I'd call it low for a 22 year old machine. Still sweet as a nut too.

Is yours a 2.5 or 2.8?

Once they are minded they stay trouble free, they get alot of criticism with heads and back axles cracking but when they are raped pulling big boxes loaded with live stock and little service is it any wonder.
    The last 2.5 one i had i got it boosting more by adjusting the wastegate and adjusting the pump, got rid of that fan under the intercooler, put on an oil catch can and flushed out the intercooler, pipes and inlet manifold.
    Made a nice difference in the go.

Once they are minded they stay trouble free, they get alot of criticism with heads and back axles cracking but when they are raped pulling big boxes loaded with live stock and little service is it any wonder.
    The last 2.5 one i had i got it boosting more by adjusting the wastegate and adjusting the pump, got rid of that fan under the intercooler, put on an oil catch can and flushed out the intercooler, pipes and inlet manifold.
    Made a nice difference in the go.

Seems alright for cooling (so far anyway) I'm a dedicated temp guage watcher anyway from previous vehicles.

True, It's definitely not the fastest thing on 4 wheels but not painfully slow either, quicker than my old 3.0 1kz surf, but a lot slower than the 3.0 v6 Paj I had last year in Oz. Have never driven a 2.8 mind, I hear they're a lot quicker.

I was reading up on stuff like that but I wouldn't have the confidence to go messing with the wastegate or pump. What does removing the little fan do? Might make up a little catch can alright, what harm, but in saying that it doesn't seem to throw out a lot of blow-by.
    Would you recommend blocking the egr?

I blanked the egr as soon as i got it, get the air as cool as you can into the engine for a bigger bang.
    Removing the fan allows air go through the intercooler more freerer, they are very restricted with that shroud and small circle hole where fan is which obstructs air too. Designed for hot climates i was told they put it there.
    Was going to put a bigger intercooler on it and put it out front but from doing research the stock one was good.

Right, I'll block her up so, And remove the fan & shroud. And out of interest, for flushing the IC, what should I flush it with?

Thanks for the info, any more little hints/tips about them fire them my way! :)

I use petrol, just make sure it dries out. Change the coolant if you haven't done it recently be no harm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Over 600k km on my 4x4 VW LT at the moment. Bearings in the rear diff now want to be changed :)

I also changed the engine last year. Not because I had to, but because it was cheaper to get a 2nd hand complete engine with about 30 bhp more and a newly reconditioned turbo already, than changing the oilpump and turbo. Plus the fact that the oil pump replacement was an engine out job anyhow.

Milage means nothing for a car/truck/4x4. It's how you treat and service it.

/M

Marlow wrote: »
    Over 600k km on my 4x4 VW LT at the moment. Bearings in the rear diff now want to be changed :)

I also changed the engine last year. Not because I had to, but because it was cheaper to get a 2nd hand complete engine with about 30 bhp more and a newly reconditioned turbo already, than changing the oilpump and turbo. Plus the fact that the oil pump replacement was an engine out job anyhow.

Milage means nothing for a car/truck/4x4. It's how you treat and service it.

/M

You can troll as much as you like. Milage always refers (by law) to the chassis. Not to the engine.

And milage considers all parts of the vehicle.

/M

To be very fair about it the general theme of the thread was what mileage can an engine accumulate on its life. Swapping engines and accumulating mileage on a vehicle whether its law or not is not what i was intending to talk about.

To be very fair about it the general theme of the thread was what mileage can an engine accumulate on its life. Swapping engines and accumulating mileage on a vehicle whether its law or not is not what i was intending to talk about.

Then your first post and subject should have specified, that you were interested in milage for the engine, not the 4x4.

Again, that's complete and utter nonsense anyhow, because if you're interested in engine lifetime, it should be measured in operating hours, like it's done on generators and other machinery.

Milage on a 4x4 tells you nothing about the workload the engine has done, ESPECIALLY when it comes to a 4x4. Because the engine could have been running twice the time doing for example winch duty or other tasks, than what it's done in milage.

Wear and tear on the engine can not be measured in milage. By any means.

In my case, we're talking a truck, that for 20 years has been used for heavy forrestry duty. And done over 600k km at that. And the engine is still perfect. Just needs a new turbo and oilpump. I have it here in the garage. I just opted for a power upgrade, while I was at it.

/M

Marlow wrote: »
    Then your first post and subject should have specified, that you were interested in milage for the engine, not the 4x4.

My apologies for not being very specific.
    Again, that's complete and utter nonsense anyhow, because if you're interested in engine lifetime, it should be measured in operating hours, like it's done on generators and other machinery.

Milage on a 4x4 tells you nothing about the workload the engine has done, ESPECIALLY when it comes to a 4x4. Because the engine could have been running twice the time doing for example winch duty or other tasks, than what it's done in milage.

Wear and tear on the engine can not be measured in milage. By any means.

Milage on any combustion engine based on mileage at that rate is nonsense so, the person who will leave his car ticking over for 2 hours while at the drive in cinema or the person stuck in city traffic.
    The hour meter should be introduced so.
    n my case, we're talking a truck, that for 20 years has been used for heavy forrestry duty. And done over 600k km at that. And the engine is still perfect. Just needs a new turbo and oilpump. I have it here in the garage. I just opted for a power upgrade, while I was at it.

When you say a power upgrade did you put in a more powerful engine?

When you say a power upgrade did you put in a more powerful engine?

Correct. Based on the same block, but a 2nd hand engine of the same type with added intercooler manifolds, more aggressive cam, a different wastegate for the turbo, that kicks in a bit earlier and handles more volume, bigger injectors, etc. About 30 bhp and a good bit torque more.

There are 3 generations of the same engine in the 21 years, that the Mk1 LT's have been build, without changing the basic block and engine. And the same engine has also been used in other vehicles with even further power modifications.

/M

I didnt mean any disrespect with that youtube clip, i am of the opinion that if one accumulates an x amount of mileage by fitting a different engine or more then that throws all out the window. What the law is on that subject does not entertain me.
    Im interested in hearing of a 4x4 with original engine of doing big mileage, from the last of what i read online was a cruiser, a j45 i think in africa with over 600,000 miles.

I didnt mean any disrespect with that youtube clip, i am of the opinion that if one accumulates an x amount of mileage by fitting a different engine or more then that throws all out the window. What the law is on that subject does not entertain me.
    Im interested in hearing of a 4x4 with original engine of doing big mileage, from the last of what i read online was a cruiser, a j45 i think in africa with over 600,000 miles.

The problem you're facing there is, that engine swaps and replacements are not uncommon and often not documented.

So unless you've got first hand knowledge or the owner clearly specifies, it's the first engine, you can't be sure, that it's on the first engine.

Milage in any report always refers to the chassis, never to the engine.

In Ireland people see a car as being scrap, when the engine is dead. In a lot of other countries, the car is dead, when the car can't be mended at all.

/M

• Advertisement

Thats a very valid point that one might not know its history and it may have had several engine changes. A simple check of its engine number to its book would clear that up though.

Advertisement