Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Business Qs.

Options
  • 02-12-2014 9:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭

Taken from 2012 Paper > Section 3 > Question 4

Illustrate the factors that a business needs to consider when communicating with its various shareholders.

If I write this would it be correct:

1. Language

The person giving the information should not use technical terms the receiver does not understand
    Example: Accountant telling client business is overtrading when the client does not understand that term
    Solution: use simple term that can be understood

2. Noise/Not listening
    If people cannot hear the verbal message, it is likely to be misinterpreted leading to bad decisions
    Solution: Deliver verbal message when listener are silent and in noise free area

3. Time
    The receiver may not be given enough time to read / listen, understand and respond to the message from sender
    Solution: Sender should not expect immediate response. Receiver should be given adequate time to understand the message and give appropriate answer

4. Information Overload
    A person may be receiving too many messages over short period of time. This can lead to confusion if receiver is busy
    Solution: Reduce the number of messages being sent to employers and those received will be dealt with effectively

Now I have taken this from my teachers notes but the heading in which they are under are ''BARRIERS TO EFFECTIVE COMMUNICATION''

and the ones under this heading:
    Factors to consider before deciding on medium of communication:
    (i) Urgency – How urgent the information has to be communicated?
    (ii) Suitability – Are some forms of communication more effective than others
    (iii) Secrecy – How confidential is the information to both sender and receiver
    (iv) Time – What time is it where receiver lives – important when communicating with other countries
    (v) Cost – How much will it cost to communicate the information
    (vi) Speed – How fast can the information be communicated to the receiver
    (vii) Technology – What technology is available to transmit the information effectively
    (viii) Receiver – is the information for internal or external use
    (ix) Legal Requirements – Certain forms of communication must be in writing – Contract to buy a house / Hire Purchase Agreement

But these are only 1 and a half line answers, so which one am I supposed to use, the barriers or the factors ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

It's hard to know with business sometimes. I think you'd probably be fine using either just change the wording of your explanation to fit the question.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭d1234

Not sure about your second point but the rest look pretty fine to me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Take Your Pants Off

d1234 wrote: »
    Not sure about your second point but the rest look pretty fine to me

1. Language

The person giving the information should not use technical terms the receiver does not understand
    Example: Accountant telling client business is overtrading when the client does not understand that term
    Solution: use simple term that can be understood

2. Noise/Not listening
    If people cannot hear the verbal message, it is likely to be misinterpreted leading to bad decisions
    Solution: Deliver verbal message when listener are silent and in noise free area

3. Time
    The receiver may not be given enough time to read / listen, understand and respond to the message from sender
    Solution: Sender should not expect immediate response. Receiver should be given adequate time to understand the message and give appropriate answer

4. Information Overload
    A person may be receiving too many messages over short period of time. This can lead to confusion if receiver is busy
    Solution: Reduce the number of messages being sent to employers and those received will be dealt with effectively

Are you talking about this being 'fine' ?

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭d1234

Sorry about earlier I should have specified this in more detail! I would omit the second point and choose another such as speed. Just to be on the safe side as I checked the marking scheme and it wasn't listed. I realise that these are only support notes but just to be on the safe side! Otherwise they look pretty good :)

Advertisement