Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sraith Pictiúr

Options
  • 02-12-2014 8:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭

I'm in 5th year and I'm going for an A2/B1 in the Leaving Cert Gaeilge.

Has anyone any good tips on how to learn off the Sraith Pictúirí?

I've a good standard of Irish so I want to do more than the basics..

Any help appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭etherealfairy

Hi there, I'm currently in 6th year, A1/A2 Irish student.

My strategy for SP is to write them out (about 2 pages), recite them out loud to myself (warn your family!) whilst really picturing the scene and believing what I'm saying. Putting on a passionate voice helps by making it a bit more interesting. I know that sounds ridiculous but you'll be more inclined to remember them that way.

I record myself reciting them and listen to it whenever exam time approaches. Eventually, by doing this I'll know them off-by-heart. If you do this, upon seeing a certain SP, describing the pictures will be like second nature to you!

I also highlight key/difficult-to-remember phrases so if I'm revising I can just quickly glance over the pages and these will pop out and really stick in my mind.

This is what works for me anyway, hope I've been of some help!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

I only did my oral last year . I had 5 sentences for each picture. I wrote all 20
    up in a folder with all the fancy vocab and sentences our teacher gave us . I learned them off by heart . I constantly revised them by writing them out and saying them without my notes. This worked out really well for me . After Christmas in 6th year it was exclusively oral work.

Also want to say that saying you are an a2 student or whatever means nothing . Most people judge this from what their teacher tells them and what they get back from pres/class tests.
    Unless your teacher is an experienced examiner or your pres were corrected by an experienced examiner then it's hard to tell where you truly stand.
    Last year I never got As in Irish and always felt that I was only a B student . Got 80 percent in my pres while others got much higher . Yet in the real thing I was the only person in my school who actually managed to get an A1 and everyone else who was an "a student " only got b1s.
    If you put the effort in you will reap the rewards ! I always say it .

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭etherealfairy

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    I only did my oral last year . I had 5 sentences for each picture. I wrote all 20
    up in a folder with all the fancy vocab and sentences our teacher gave us . I learned them off by heart . I constantly revised them by writing them out and saying them without my notes. This worked out really well for me . After Christmas in 6th year it was exclusively oral work.

Also want to say that saying you are an a2 student or whatever means nothing . Most people judge this from what their teacher tells them and what they get back from pres/class tests.
    Unless your teacher is an experienced examiner or your pres were corrected by an experienced examiner then it's hard to tell where you truly stand.
    Last year I never got As in Irish and always felt that I was only a B student . Got 80 percent in my pres while others got much higher . Yet in the real thing I was the only person in my school who actually managed to get an A1 and everyone else who was an "a student " only got b1s.
    If you put the effort in you will reap the rewards ! I always say it .

Yeah I totally understand that! However my teacher is an expérienced examiner and in fact writes LC/JC books etc. Otherwise I wouldn't have mentioned it ðŸ‘

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭MmmPancakes

2 pages is far too long for the SP. The oral is 20 minutes, the sraith should take no more than 5 minutes including questions after - 1 page is enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭DarraghFitz98

A page on each! Wow that's a lot,I really want an A in Irish though so it must be done :)

Thanks everyone for your contributions,more are also welcome :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

A page on each! Wow that's a lot,I really want an A in Irish though so it must be done :)

Thanks everyone for your contributions,more are also welcome :)

Yeah you need a page on each. I'd have assumed your teacher would go through each of them in class???

Yeah you need a page on each. I'd have assumed your teacher would go through each of them in class???

Yes,if my teacher cared!

Yes,if my teacher cared!

What did your teacher say when you asked if you were going through the sraith pictuir??

She said we'll get to them,at our current rate of progression it'll be a rushed effort with An Triail to finish,3 poems and two stories to cover.. never mind listening,oral and reading comprehensions!

Maybe I'm getting too stressed for Christmas 5th year?

2 poems and 3 stories is a decent pace. So don't worry, she'll get to them eventually.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

She said we'll get to them,at our current rate of progression it'll be a rushed effort with An Triail to finish,3 poems and two stories to cover.. never mind listening,oral and reading comprehensions!

Maybe I'm getting too stressed for Christmas 5th year?

I've done two stories and one poem so far in higher. We also did three essay topics. :p

I've done two stories and one poem so far in higher. We also did three essay topics. :p

That's not great!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Magnate

That's not great!

The essay is worth 40 marks more than the story and poem combined! It's a fairly good pace ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

To be honest, it's not bad. I'm planning to drop down in sixth year anyway because I don't need irish for points, and the poem and story only come up in paper two which is only 18% of the exam ordinary.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭coolerboy

We have 8 SPs done so far, a story,a poem and all the topics on the oral I guess it is a lot at this stage☺

• Closed Accounts Posts: 621 ✭✭✭if832uspx4eogt

We've done everything apart from the essays, we did a few last year but I haven't learned off any of them yet. Kinda worried about them.

The sraith pictiurs help with the essays.

As do the oral topics

Advertisement