Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cafe on Barrack Street

Options
  • 02-12-2014 7:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭

There's a new cafe on Barrack Street, just up from the coal place. I didn't catch the name of it but I went in today with a couple of friends as we took a break from some work and it's a nice spot. Comfy chairs and a very "homey" vibe to it. Lots of books in there (you can buy them and exchange them and all that). and old newspapers as wallpaper (old Echo issues and Examiner, not the generic stuff you can buy in B&Q).

Barrack Street could do with the lift so I hope it's a success. If anyone know's the name you might pop it up here (and opening hours!).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭mimihops

It's called cafe Alchemy. Haven't tried it yet but it looks good! Nice to see Barack street getting a bit of a boost, must pop in to try it someday this week.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Its around the corner from me.Nice spot and they seem to have picked up a lot of custom in a short space of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭Fabio

Alchemy yeah! I'll definitely be going back anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Subpopulus

Went there today. The coffee was excellent. Into the top 5 cups I've had in Cork.

Cheap books too, if you can dig out a decent one amid the dross.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭Fabio

Let's just hope it doesn't turn in to hipster-ville :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

"turn" ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Fabio wrote: »
    Let's just hope it doesn't turn in to hipster-ville :)

Heh heh,I was in there today and there was this very hipsterish couple in there,the girl was talking at the top of her voice in one of those really annoying,fake mid -Atlantic accents.But it seems to draw a fairly mixed crowd though many might just be curious locals.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Colibri

Have they got Wi-Fi? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Subpopulus

Well on Thursday they had a sign saying 'Wifi on the way!", so possibly not yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Dave47

btw is it just me or is the new road on barrack street insanely slippy? Cars were going 15mph on it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Michael..

Passed it the other day - looks really nice.

Hopefully the upgrade of the street entices more businesses to open up in that area.

Barracks street has great potential, it's a pity there's so many derelict buildings up there. I think the council should offer reduced rates for a period of time - might help rejuvenate the place.

Advertisement