Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mold in rented apartment

Options
  • 02-12-2014 2:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭

We have been in a rented apartment since early this year, but the apartment has a really bad mould problem. The windows don't seal tightly so if it rains the windowsills will be soaking wet.There is mould all over the windowsills and bathroom. We have been bleaching it and using mould products every week but it just keeps coming back! It's on the ceilings now too. We haven't mentioned it to the landlord yet as we don't want to hassle him because we love the apartment apart from this. Does anyone have any suggestions for dealing with this? I presume that if we told our landlord he might have to get all new Windows and then put our rent up? Any advice would be much appreciated, thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

It is really desperate the amount of places that have mould in them and there is no shortage of people wanting to pay good money to live in them. I dont know if there's much that can be done except try and seal the windows up a bit better yourself, but if the windows are closed all the time this wont help the mould problem either

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Magicmatilda

I recommend you get a dehumidifier.

It should sort out the mold issue. Basically unless you are able to leave windows open then you will need one.

I recently started using one and the situation is hugely improved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭lovelystuff

Thanks for your replies, I'll definitely get a dehumidifier, I'll probably need one for each room at this stage this place is destroyed! Should I tell the landlord do you think? And stupid question,but will I just get a ladder and bleach the ceilings?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

I would tell him, as a landlord I'd rather know, are there vents in the window's or the rooms? That might help also?

There aren't any vents, we hardly put the radiators on either because the place is really well insulated, would doing that help? What can the landlord do realistically? It's such a shame because it's a great apartment but we are paying a lot for it! Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭danger_mouse_tm

We own an extremely well insulated apartment. We have very low heat bills but like yourself were plagued with mould. The solution for us was to use a dehumidifier out in the hallway (especially useful for drying clothes!). We had to paint all our rooms with very high quality paint. We also have to open the bedroom window (and curtains) for a few minutes every morning. Try squirting affected areas with a spray bottle containing a cup of water and grape fruit essence oil (available from your health food shop).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

The fact the radiators aren't on much don't help either. I'd run the heating for a couple of hours morning and evening to help dry the place.

Really helpful advice here,thanks very much everyone hopefully it will all make a difference! Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Jimmy Conway

A dehumidifier will definitely ease the problem but they aren't cheap to run so as a long term solution wouldn't be an economically sound decision.

Tell the LL. If he is in any way concerned about his property he/she would rather know than for you to leave it and say nothing. I speak from the point of view of a LL. If he's worth his salt he will be as keen to rectify the problem as you are. Bleaching it WILL NOT solve the problem. Good luck with the LL!

Regarding the bathroom..you do air the place\leave extractor fan on after a shower? If you ain't doing that, you're part of the problem. You also got to be on top of the water on the sills. You got to mop it up and not leave it sitting. Crap I know but until the windows are fixed you got to stay on top of it.

On the bright side the forecast looks dry this week :-)

Link: (new user won't let me link)
    thehelpfulengineer.com/index.php/2010/10/mould-in-houses-causes-and-solutions/

Thanks for this,we have an extracter fan in the bathroom that we put on after showers, and mop up water sitting on the windowsill too. The problem is just that it keeps coming, my oh had to throw out a few things from his wardrobe as they got mouldy! It's fairly disgusting. It would be great if the landlord would do something about it when we report it,to be honest it only got Really bad the last few months since the weather has gotten wetter!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Thanks for this,we have an extracter fan in the bathroom that we put on after showers, and mop up water sitting on the windowsill too. The problem is just that it keeps coming, my oh had to throw out a few things from his wardrobe as they got mouldy! It's fairly disgusting. It would be great if the landlord would do something about it when we report it,to be honest it only got Really bad the last few months since the weather has gotten wetter!
    It's a lack of ventilation, opening your windows a little a night will help, purge venting during the day also. Don't dry clothes indoors, and make sure all moisture is gone after showers/ cooking before turning off the extrsctor.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

A dehumidifier will definitely ease the problem but they aren't cheap to run so as a long term solution wouldn't be an economically sound decision.

I find my dehumidifier really cheap to run. I only run it about 3 times a week overnight and I barely notice it on my electricity bill.

Unfortunately we have to dry our clothes indoors, the building management have a load of arbitrary rules and one is no washing left outdoors on the balcony! Actually though thinking about it the spare room is definitely the worst and that's where we dry our clothes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Leave the window open a crack and run the heating in the room. THAT'S why you got mould. You should also run the extractor in the bathroom while you're showering so that the steam gets a chance to escape. No good running it after.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭blacklilly

Unfortunately we have to dry our clothes indoors, the building management have a load of arbitrary rules and one is no washing left outdoors on the balcony! Actually though thinking about it the spare room is definitely the worst and that's where we dry our clothes!

Firstly, the rules of not drying cloths on balconies is not arbitrary, unless you want the development you live in to look like a tenement of course.

I know these rules leave you with little option with reagrds to drying clothes, however look at it practicably, you dry your clothes in the apartment, where do you think the moisture from these clothes is going to go?

People do not seem to realise how much condensation is created from drying clothes inside.
    The moisture creates condensation and thus creates mold growth. The only way to prevent this is to adequately ventilate and also heat your apartment.

I would also be letting the landlord know, you have an obligation to advise the landlord of issues like this.

Leave the window open a crack and run the heating in the room. THAT'S why you got mould. You should also run the extractor in the bathroom while you're showering so that the steam gets a chance to escape. No good running it after.

Also just to add, the extractor fan should run for a minimum of 20 affter you've showered, many seem to be set at a 2 minutes over run, this is not enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭anonyanony

Do you have a dryer in the apartment block? It sounds like you are causing the mold (no heating, not ventilating the room, drying clothes in the apartments rooms, not using fan while showering) and it would come out of your deposit.

Let the LL know of the issue right away so he can advise on fixes before it gets to bad and ruins his place, but you need to keep better care of the place you are renting.

blacklilly wrote: »
    Firstly, the rules of not drying cloths on balconies is not arbitrary, unless you want the development you live in to look like a tenement of course.

I know these rules leave you with little option with reagrds to drying clothes, however look at it practicably, you dry your clothes in the apartment, where do you think the moisture from these clothes is going to go?

That really is such a snobby rule, people living in mouldy apartments just so the people looking at the apartments aren't offended by people's washing hanging out? My apartment block has that rule too and it's totally stupid and imposed by people who don't have to live with it.

What do you expect the OP to do? You can't dry a lot of clothes in the dryer as the material is unsuitable and it shrinks. We can't all go round in polyester.

That really is such a snobby rule, people living in mouldy apartments just so the people looking at the apartments aren't offended by people's washing hanging out? My apartment block has that rule too and it's totally stupid and imposed by people who don't have to live with it.

What do you expect the OP to do? You can't dry a lot of clothes in the dryer as the material is unsuitable and it shrinks. We can't all go round in polyester.

You'll find 99.9% of apartment blocks have this rule and rightly so.
    I don't make the rules but I completely understand them. I do not want to look at my neighbours washing.

Simple answer, ventilate your apartment adequately and you won't have any issue.

I live in an apartment and have never had a mold issue as I make sure it's properly ventilated and heated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

Your LL is legally required to provide you with access to a dryer if there is no outside space to dry your clothes.
    Access to a clothes-dryer if the rented unit does not have a private garden or yard

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/renting_a_home/repairs_maintenance_and_minimum_physical_standards.html

He is also required to fix the mould issue, but if you are concerned about the cost and rent going up because of it then a dryer is potentially a much cheaper solution.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭David900

If you're getting mould within your wardrobe, I'd say it's because you're not using the heating. I had this in an apartment one time for this reason (the place used storage heaters that were very expensive to run). Put the heating on for an hour in the morning and a few hours in the evening and you'll notice a marked improvement.

As an aside, I don't think it would cause you much hassle to dry your clothes on the balcony. If the management company is not also your landlord that is.
    All they can do is complain....
    Although if any if your neighbours are like Blacklily above, you might get a few dirty looks in the hallway.

blacklilly wrote: »
    You'll find 99.9% of apartment blocks have this rule and rightly so.
    I don't make the rules but I completely understand them. I do not want to look at my neighbours washing.

Simple answer, ventilate your apartment adequately and you won't have any issue.

I live in an apartment and have never had a mold issue as I make sure it's properly ventilated and heated.

How does the rest of Europe manage looking at each others clothes on balconies, the horror!:D

I don't have mould in my apartment either as I use a dehumidifier in the room that I dry clothes. Works a treat.

But in summer I also say to hell with the rules and dry clothes on a clothes horse on the balcony. Nothing can simulate the freshness of drying clothes in the open air.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭David900

How does the rest of Europe manage looking at each others clothes on balconies, the horror!:D

I don't have mould in my apartment either as I use a dehumidifier in the room that I dry clothes. Works a treat.

But in summer I also say to hell with the rules and dry clothes on a clothes horse on the balcony. Nothing can simulate the freshness of drying clothes in the open air.

Your wild, imagine other people having to look at your clothes!

anonyanony wrote: »
    Do you have a dryer in the apartment block? It sounds like you are causing the mold (no heating, not ventilating the room, drying clothes in the apartments rooms, not using fan while showering) and it would come out of your deposit.

Let the LL know of the issue right away so he can advise on fixes before it gets to bad and ruins his place, but you need to keep better care of the place you are renting.

i think we are contributing to the mould certainly which is why I asked for suggestions. We look after the place very well, use the fan while showering and afterwards. We certainly need to run the heating more which we are now. A huge part of it is the wetness from the Windows in my opinion though because when it rains the windowsill and also floor underneath are soaked through! So it's a few things combined causing the problem.

Also to add,we have a dryer but we don't use it very often because we were told it's too expensive? I'll certainly do it if it stops the mould though,thanks everyone for the helpful suggestions!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭anonyanony

i think we are contributing to the mould certainly which is why I asked for suggestions. We look after the place very well, use the fan while showering and afterwards. We certainly need to run the heating more which we are now. A huge part of it is the wetness from the Windows in my opinion though because when it rains the windowsill and also floor underneath are soaked through! So it's a few things combined causing the problem.

It's good you are fixing the stuff you cause but ring the LL so he can fix the window, might just need silicone to be added around any gaps let him know asap case it can cause major damage and you are required to notify them about it and probably an easy fix, the other main thing is you need to ask for a dryer or dry the clothes outside, the amount of moisture released drying clothes on rads will destroy the rooms, let the LL know for the interest of his property him getting a dryer is a smart choice.

Edit: Saw the post about the dryer, yeah use it, it's cheaper then loosing your deposit, but let him know so he can fix the windows asap

Thanks everyone for all your suggestions, I have a huge amount to go on now which is great!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,804 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

i when it rains the windowsill and also floor underneath are soaked through!

Ahh, in your first post, you said
    "The windows don't seal tightly so if it rains the windowsills will be soaking wet."

Now it's the above.

IMHO it's extremely negligent of you as a tenant not to have told the landlord about the windows letting in that much water: if the floor is soaked after rain, then the water will be getting into all sorts of places and causing them to rot. It's likely mould is actually the least of the problems caused.

By all means use the heating and dehumidifier, and make sure you open the windows every day too. But you NEED to tell the LL about the extent of the problem.

Also - I'm totally a a loss as to why you believe the place is really well insulated - with the situation you describe, it absolutely cannot be.

It's really warm all the time, but yes the floors get soaked but we mop it up when it happens. In fairness the floors only get soaked when the rain is really heavy. The apartment has been rented out for the last 8 years so I'm sure he has an idea but we are going to report it. It's only become very noticeable in the last 8 weeks with the weather changing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement