Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Careers/University help: PSYCHOLOGY VS. MEDICINE?

Options
  • 02-12-2014 2:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭

Hi everyone!

Currently I'm a 6th year student sitting the Leaving Cert. in 2015. Right now I am torn between doing a TSM in Psychology and English Literature and studying Medicine.

I was quite set on doing medicine up until recently when I realised how it might hinder me in my career path, in the sense that, whilst it's a broad degree I would be working mainly in the Health Services sector. I do have a genuine interest in both the course and career opportunities. However, I feel now that the EL/Psych TSM might facilitate my personality type and needs more, as I could carve out a more individual career, one that changes often. I get bored easily and need excitement and a job that allows me to travel is a must. I have also realised that I want to do something that genuinely makes me happy, something I am passionate about. Am I old-fashioned and unrealistic in wanting education for education's sake? I believe I would immensely enjoy studying English and Psychology in university.

My question for you is, what, in your opinion, does the future look like in terms of careers in Psychology? I would be combining it with a degree in English. I am well aware of the long path required to pursue clinical, and that there are many opportunities available with such a degree. I think that that would be beneficial to me, as at the age of 18 it is quite difficult to decide where I'd like to go in life. Would this degree combination enable me to get into something like advertising, broadcasting or producing? Money is of course not a factor influencing my decision but I would like a good job to support my family and allow me to travel quite a bit. I am a determined individual with lots of experience and achievements. I aim high but with the desire to assist the needs of others in doing so.

I would be really appreciative of any help you may be able to give me.

Best wishes!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

I studied a journalism & media BA (honours) degree and have worked in media a little, and since moved into digital marketing. I've since gone back to study psychology and am undertaking a H.Dip in Psychology part-time.

For advertising, producing or media work you are best to get a straight marketing qualification. However, especially for media, its the experience and extracurricular work you do that will help you find opportunities; working in community radio, doing unpaid menial work in RTE to build contacts, being an advertising intern, etc.

What I will say is, if you're still unsure, then choose the subjects you feel you'll be happiest studying. At least when you're in college, you'll enjoy it and have something to work toward. And when you finish, you can revisit career options with a qualification you like and have presumably done well in.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭etherealfairy

I studied a journalism & media BA (honours) degree and have worked in media a little, and since moved into digital marketing. I've since gone back to study psychology and am undertaking a H.Dip in Psychology part-time.

For advertising, producing or media work you are best to get a straight marketing qualification. However, especially for media, its the experience and extracurricular work you do that will help you find opportunities; working in community radio, doing unpaid menial work in RTE to build contacts, being an advertising intern, etc.

What I will say is, if you're still unsure, then choose the subjects you feel you'll be happiest studying. At least when you're in college, you'll enjoy it and have something to work toward. And when you finish, you can revisit career options with a qualification you like and have presumably done well in.

Thankyou for the advice! At the moment I have contacts in the music industry and in RTé as a result of current extracurricular projects. I wouldn't be interested in doing a straight marketing qualification. Would I be better off going down a different path with Psych and English degrees so? Or would any employer consider them to be valuable qualifications, the graduates of which would have specific assets not found in say, individuals with a marketing qualification? I am more interested in the creative and scientific side of things. I'm business-minded but do not have a particular interest in the field. That said, I have leadership qualities and have excellent communication skills. Am I misinformed/idealistic?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Thankyou for the advice! At the moment I have contacts in the music industry and in RTé as a result of current extracurricular projects. I wouldn't be interested in doing a straight marketing qualification. Would I be better off going down a different path with Psych and English degrees so? Or would any employer consider them to be valuable qualifications, the graduates of which would have specific assets not found in say, individuals with a marketing qualification? I am more interested in the creative and scientific side of things. I'm business-minded but do not have a particular interest in the field. That said, I have leadership qualities and have excellent communication skills. Am I misinformed/idealistic?

It'll still come down to graft and hard work. You CAN get marketing roles without the actual qualification, but you'll need to have experience to show you can do the job. How you get THAT is the difficult part.

You could consider a psych and english undergrad, followed by a marketing conversion course. Best of all worlds.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

My question for you is, what, in your opinion, does the future look like in terms of careers in Psychology?

If only we knew! Who knew there'd be an explosion of interest in psychology? Who knew we'd go from having very few jobs and clinical jobs taking on people with a basic BA or BSc in psychology, to it being almost impossible to get into Clinical or Counselling Psychology? Personally, I think we'll find that counselling and therapy jobs will stay at about the same amount (the market is pretty much saturated at the moment) but more will be employed in the health service and being much cheaper, will replace many Clin Psych positions.
    I would be combining it with a degree in English. ... Would this degree combination enable me to get into something like advertising, broadcasting or producing?

This is the thing. None of us knows what the future will bring. Very few of us have had completely secure or certain career paths. Many of us have ended up in jobs we never expected - but many of us have found jobs that we are happy in. Re-training may well be even more common in the future.
    The best-laid schemes o' mice an' men
    Gang aft agley
    as Burns has it.

Advertisement