Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

quick question

Options
  • 01-12-2014 6:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭

I am after getting a part time job was told at interview it would be sat and sun work ranging between 8 and 12 hours a day, if I was needed to cover holidays or people out sick.I would be asked to do it.All was fine now they are asking me to do 3 hour shifts 6-9.I live a 40 min drive away from where I work what makes it worse is to get there I travel through rush hour traffic at 5 o clock.My wife gets home at 7:30 to 8:00 so I need sitter for kids from 5 till she gets home, so thats costing 20 for the two kids, I am guessing I am spending 15 euro petrol return so thats 35 euro to get to work and I earn less :pac::D

I have explai situation to employer my response from her I" must be flexible"

Question is can I turn down this work and still be able to sign on the other days, If I get 8 10 or 12 shifts I will do no problem but 3 hour shifts its costing me money to work

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Nomis21

If the job is not worth doing, don't take it on but...

It used to be that work on a Sunday did not count as work for social welfare if you were on JA or JB as a part time worker.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

If this is retail, contact your union / handbook, minimum shift lengths of 4 hour per day were agreed years ago with Mandate.

Advertisement