Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ford Focus 2008 1.8 TDCI Temperature Gauge

Options
  • 01-12-2014 4:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

Ive test driven a Ford Focus 2008 1.8 TDCI, however the temp guage wasnt fully up to the mark after about 15/20 mins. Does anyone know what repair this could need? New Thermostat?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Might not need one at all. Sometimes it takes longer to reach operating temp if it's wet or cold out (mind, it should be fully hot after 20 mins).
    Did you mention it to seller/dealer?

But aye, might be thermostat that might be stuck open.
    Have this fixed before you buy or at least get a mech to have a look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

Not sure about the 1.8tdci but the 1.6tdci focus never goes to fully half way or 90 degree c. They go to about 87 so sit just under the half way point. What temp did it get too was it high mid 80s or still sitting down near 50-60 degree c.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

Alot of the modern diesels take ages to warm up unless your on dual carriageway or rev them hard (obviously not ideal when cold)

My solution is I block a section of the rad for the winter. Abit of common sense is needed and watch the temps

But most of my driving is town and shorts trips so helps alot to get the heater going.
    Also seems to help retain the heat while turned off

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Kingcalumn

It was running for a good 20/30 mins, incl about 15 miles on the M50 (it should have been up to full temp). Its going through a mechanic this week - Im sure he will figure it out. The heat in the car was fine, Id say it was up to about 85 degrees, Just not spot on the 90 (12 o'clock), more about 5 to.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Had several incarnations of the 1.8 diesel lump, they take aaaages to get up to temperature. They are a huge lump of pure pig-iron. I live near Ennis and drive to Limerick every day. It takes 10 minutes driving for the needle to even move from cold, a bit longer for hot air to come and halfway to Limerick to even get up to temperature.
    As long as it's up to temperature after about 20 minutes (or more!) and then just sits there, you're OK.
    You might also notice that the temperature dial plummets when you floor it for a sprint.

I'm sure it sits about halfway, I'll let you know after my drive home.
    Also, cheap, aftermarket 'stats are ALL rubbish and must be avoided like the plague. OEM will cost a few quid, but it's always better to spend a few penny more on something that works, than buying 10 of cheap crap that don't.

• Advertisement
Advertisement