Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Damp/Water damage

Options
  • 01-12-2014 3:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi All,

Been renting our apartment since Feb 2013. In July 2013 I notified the landlady via email including photos of an issue with damp/water damage above the patio door in the living room. A builder called from the management company in Aug 2013 & his view was it was coming from the balcony of the apartment above ours. Said he needed to investigate further & would be back to us. By Oct 2013 had heard nothing more from the builder on issue, so I emailed landlady to advise her of this.

Fast forward to Oct/Nov 2014, serious deterioration of the issue, paint work cracking, obvious water marks, as well as black mould appearing. I emailed landlady to advise her and induced new photos of the current status 2 weeks ago. Got a response Friday to say she had been in touch with the management company and they believe it is coming from the apartment above ours & they are trying to track down the tenants. In the meantime she won't be carrying out repair works until the cause is identified as the issue will keep happening. makes sense in the long term. She asked if we could try track down the tenants of the apartment and try speak to them re keeping drains clear of leaves and other debris etc.

Now I understand landlady's position on repair work if it is going to be an ongoing issue etc. But what are our obligations as tenants in this situation. I had notified her as far back as July 2013 about it? Also our lease is due for renewal at the end of Jan 2015, can she use this as a reason to ask us to leave the property & not renew?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Apart from the mould, has it caused any other damage, and have cleaned any of the mould so far, or have you left it gather for the last year or so?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 emmamc1982

the_syco wrote: »
    Apart from the mould, has it caused any other damage, and have cleaned any of the mould so far, or have you left it gather for the last year or so?

Have regularly cleaned it since mould started appearing 2 months ago. Prior to the mould appearing the paint work was water marked and cracking. It is still like this now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,868 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Hmmm, the balcony could be the Management Companies issue, as it is part of the common area technically.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 emmamc1982

I get that it could be a mgt company issue & I can see them dragging their heels etc, as they are not the most efficient bunch generally
    My main concern is the liability/obligation on us as tenants regarding the issue? I have kept the landlady up to date, facilitated access for inspection the one and only time it was requested & have made efforts to keep the mould issue at a minimum by regular cleaning. Outside of these is there more we should be doing??
    And also can she use this as a reason to terminate our lease at the end of Jan 15 & if so how much notice is she obliged to give us?

Advertisement