Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The RAGE PS1 bundle

Options
  • 01-12-2014 2:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi guys,

Looking for some advice. I'm thinking of ordering a PS1 bundle from The RAGE - console, 2 controllers, memory card, FF7 and Tomb Raider. All delivered for €78.

Is this a decent price? Is it worth buying a PS1 console these days?I had the PS1 when it first came out, FF7 was my first (and favourite), and I figure that will keep me busy for a bit before I pick up some more games.

Any advice at all would be appreciated.

Thanks!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Mar Mar Marmalade

May be wrong in saying so but is that not a bit of a rip off for 80 quid like ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,030 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

If you are thinking of starting collecting games seriously then don't buy European versions of PS1 games. They are inferior to the US ones running at a much slower speed and with black borders that squash the aspect ratio. If you aren't so serious and are just fooling around with it then ignorance is bliss, go for it.

I'm only giving this advice to you now because for most of us here that didn't know this information really regret the collections of European games we have knowing that they are the inferior version.

As far as I'm aware FF7 is a popular game so with Rage you will be paying over the odds for it. The US version is also cheaper than the european one (but has awful box art). The consoles they sell however are usually good value but with a PS1 if you are going to be using it a lot you really need to get a good quality one since they are so badly made. Rage would definitely not be experts on this. You need to do some research on a good model because the lasers fail on them all the time. Getting a European PS1 is fine since you can mod it later to play US games.

It really comes down to how serious you are about collecting.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 jb_88

Thanks for the reply Retr0gamer. The bundle is 65 quid, 12.95 delivery.

I'm not going to be a serious collector or anything, just a bit of nostalgia relive my youth and all that! I didn't get any information about the console version from The Rage guys at all, I hadn't even thought about it to be honest. Will check that out. Thanks!

And here's a complete newbie question on the US v European versions. Where would you buy the US versions (online I'm assuming), and what do you need to look out for to ensure they are the US versions? And also, how do you mod the Euro version of the console to play US games? Is it difficult? Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,660 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

One of the lads is selling FF VII in our marketplace forum for €10.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057335741

You can get a PS1 for under €20. The last one I bought was €15 if I remember correctly and it had a mod chip installed.

The Rage price is a decent price for a business trying to make a profit, but if you look around yourself you'll get cheaper.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,030 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

jb_88 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply Retr0gamer. The bundle is 65 quid, 12.95 delivery.

I'm not going to be a serious collector or anything, just a bit of nostalgia relive my youth and all that! I didn't get any information about the console version from The Rage guys at all, I hadn't even thought about it to be honest. Will check that out. Thanks!

And here's a complete newbie question on the US v European versions. Where would you buy the US versions (online I'm assuming), and what do you need to look out for to ensure they are the US versions? And also, how do you mod the Euro version of the console to play US games? Is it difficult? Thanks again!

The US versions of games look different so it's easy to tell and will have a us/ntsc marking on it, european ones will have PAL. You'll need a modded european PS1 to play them though.

As for version of PS1 to get, get as late a model as posible would be best. PS1's are a disaster for lasers going especially early models. PS1's should be very easy to get cheap. A european or US copy of FFVII should be about 40 euros but it was the second best selling game on the system, common as muck so the inflated price is silly. If you can shop around 10-15 is what I'd pay for FFVII if you are willing to wait and look for one to come up.

One good tip is to ask people you know if they have one in an attic, you usually get stuff very cheap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Damien King

78 Beans does sound a tad high, although to be fair there is a warranty with them....why not hit a few car boot sales?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭airmax87

Honestly I would get a PS2, as the lazers in PS1's tend to die out more.
    You can pick them up a lot cheaper too as there is no nostalgia boom for them jacking up prices.

airmax87 wrote: »
    Honestly I would get a PS2, as the lazers in PS1's tend to die out more.
    You can pick them up a lot cheaper too as there is no nostalgia boom for them jacking up prices.

I find PS2's a hell of a lot more. Anything from the 7 series below is a total disaster. You really want to be getting a 9 series or above.

My advice if you want to play FFVII is get a PS3 and get the US game from the american PSN store.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭airmax87

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I find PS2's a hell of a lot more. Anything from the 7 series below is a total disaster. You really want to be getting a 9 series or above.

My advice if you want to play FFVII is get a PS3 and get the US game from the american PSN store.
    But with the PS2 you can also softmod it and have a much easier time of playing imported games.

**with a slim ps2

airmax87 wrote: »
    But with the PS2 you can also softmod it and have a much easier time of playing imported games.

**with a slim ps2

You can't softmod it to play PS1 games (as far as I know).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Flaregon

I have found Playstation one for a euro, ff goes for 15, tomb raider is 5-10. so if lucky u can get that for 21e.. .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭BGOllie

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Los Lobos

LongZ wrote: »

Nice guy too, I have bought off him before.

Advertisement