Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Van won't turn over

Options
  • 01-12-2014 1:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭

Hi Folks

My diesel van wont turn over,

Its a 09, 1.6 HDI Dispatch, yesterday I noticed I had to turn the key 3 times before it would turn over... the first couple of times the key was turned I could just hear a click sound,

This morning it worked fine until I turned it off to open my driveway gate... when I tried to restart I just got the clicking sound every time,

thinking it might be the battery I put some jump leads on but still the same clicking noise was all I got,

lucky enough I was on a good steep hill so managed to jump start it to get it off the road,

any ideas what may be causing this problem ?

in anticipation of your kind help I thank you's

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Battery and quite possible alternator.

Test battery to see what volts its got.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

mann wrote: »
    Hi Folks

My diesel van wont turn over,

Its a 09, 1.6 HDI Dispatch, yesterday I noticed I had to turn the key 3 times before it would turn over... the first couple of times the key was turned I could just hear a click sound,

This morning it worked fine until I turned it off to open my driveway gate... when I tried to restart I just got the clicking sound every time,

thinking it might be the battery I put some jump leads on but still the same clicking noise was all I got,

lucky enough I was on a good steep hill so managed to jump start it to get it off the road,

any ideas what may be causing this problem ?

in anticipation of your kind help I thank you's

Starter is knackered

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭mann

Battery and quite possible alternator.

Test battery to see what volts its got.

Hi punisher

I will check volts soon as I find my tester but should it not have started with the jump leads had it been a battery problem ?

Starter is knackered

Short and sweet answer :)

I really hope its as simple as a replacement starter

thanks for the input gents,

A little update.

Had to move the van to get a car out of the yard ...
    expected to be having to push the van but to my surprise it started first time "Twice"

I feel this is going to make it much harder to find the problem.

Does this still sound like a starter motor problem ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

It could be the glow plugs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭Row

Failed glow plugs wont stop hdi engines from starting.

Could be anything from a starter/engine bay fusebox/bad connection somewhere...was there any work carried out on the van lately e.g clutch..?

Next time it doesnt start put it into 5th gear and rock it back and forwards and retry...if it starts then it looks like a starter problem.
    The stater is up above the righthand drive shaft and you need to remove it from the bottom.....Two bolts from the bottom and one bolt on top on the gearbox side.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,395 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Sounds like starter tbh, if you're gearing a click and its intermittently starting no bother?

Row wrote: »
    Failed glow plugs wont stop hdi engines from starting.

Could be anything from a starter/engine bay fusebox/bad connection somewhere...was there any work carried out on the van lately e.g clutch..?

Next time it doesnt start put it into 5th gear and rock it back and forwards and retry...if it starts then it looks like a starter problem.
    The stater is up above the righthand drive shaft and you need to remove it from the bottom.....Two bolts from the bottom and one bolt on top on the gearbox side.

Thanks for the info Row

In answer to your question, there has been no work carried out recently, it started first time again today but I didn't have the nerve to turn off the engine until I got it home.

Thanks for the tip on the 5th gear... I will try that should/when it happens again, I can't find the time to check out the things u spoke of yet,

Would you mind if I contact you should I need more info on what I'm looking at When I get round to it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭Row

mann wrote: »
    Thanks for the info Row

In answer to your question, there has been no work carried out recently, it started first time again today but I didn't have the nerve to turn off the engine until I got it home.

Thanks for the tip on the 5th gear... I will try that should/when it happens again, I can't find the time to check out the things u spoke of yet,

Would you mind if I contact you should I need more info on what I'm looking at When I get round to it ?

No problem Mann,Pm me your email address if you need info/diagrams of removing the starter.

Hi all

Just a little update on the van,

its now sorted but I wasn't to pleased at how the chap explained the problem, the first thing that got me worried was when he rang my friend next day to tell him the van was ready,

he said the problem was the starter was getting too much voltage which kept blowing the fuse,

as I explained above.. this problem came and went a couple of times but I never had to change any fuse,

he said the warning light that was on the dash was to do with water in the fuel filter... this got me thinking that maybe the engine wouldn't start because the sensor new it would mess things up,

am I just picking nits or what lads, could the sensor stop the engine starting ?

anyways he charged €120 to reCON the starter and €80 to put it back on + drain the fuel filter.

thanks for your help people :cool:

• Advertisement
Advertisement