Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are New Beginnings really up to? *Mod Note in post #10*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

I dont think solicitors and barristers would even think about making money from the misfortune of others it just wouldnt be their game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

Don't forget that they want an upfront fee of €3k before they "help" you.

• Site Banned Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Shiraz 4.99

Shuuuuuuuuuuut Up, you'll ruin their sneaky plan
    A €20,000 payment was made to New Beginning the same day the database was sent by email but the mortage group said it was “simply not the case” that the money had changed hands for the names.

Well that's me convinced

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Zamboni wrote: »
    Asked on RTÉ’s This Week programme why New Beginning had not reported the breach to the Data Protection Commissioner at an earlier stage, Mr Maguire said there was no legal requirement for him to do that.
    I'm thinking he sees no "legal requirement", as it wasn't a unintended "breach", but rather a transfer of information that they were paid for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

I've some contact with some of the people involved through another project but I'm not at all involved in the project itself, or in all honesty particularly aware of what they do.

What I will say though is the people I know are an honourable sort with good intentions but I suspect that there is a buck being earned along they way, which is all honesty given RM is a senior counsel with the experience and contacts that brings I don't really blame them.

Isn't the general gist to buy property with loan difficulties and rent it back?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

No, the general gist was supposed to be to advocate for those in genuine mortgage difficulties on a not for profit basis.
    I did suspect that perhaps political ambition was the motivation, but it may well be profit driven.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

the_syco wrote: »
    I'm thinking he sees no "legal requirement", as it wasn't a unintended "breach", but rather a transfer of information that they were paid for.

Well it's one or the other.

They had an accidental breach (which is claimed) and therefore legal requirement to report the breach.

Or

<Mod Snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

Anyone catch his interview with Marian?
    "Yes, it doesn't look good for us that the email said 'here are the names, as agreed...'..."
    "Yes, it doesn't look good that we received a payment of €20,000 the same day..."

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Mod Note:

Ok folks, some very strict rules with regards to this topic & thread. We have to be very careful with any statements that could be considered defamatory.

There will be absolutely zero tolerance on speculation here, anything you discuss must be cold hard facts any breach of this rule will result in posts being edited/deleted and the poster being sanctioned.

I would urge any posters to use the report post function for any posts they feel maybe problematic and allow the mod team to deal with them.

Thank you

Morri

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Beaner1

<Mod Snip>

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,486 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Basically, since the year dot some lawyers have helped people in debt out - whether they were previous clients, friends, went to flac or just for the thrill of it, most people in dire financial straights could get some form of advice/representation for free/cheaply.

Then new beginnings came on the scene and created a publicity storm about how they were going to do what had been done on an ad hoc basis before them. And they say they are not doing it for profit but that is not to say no money changes hands.

So while people have been suspicious of them before, this now shows that they are recievig some funds. And i can accept that they are not making a profit, but i wonder where the money then goes. It is speculation to suggest where it might go, and that is not allowed on boards. But it would be nice if they were to open up their books given the recent controversy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

I think as its a charity the money must be going to a good charitable cause such as feeding the homeless or such like. I have no reason to believe someone is benefiting from this charitable work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

I think as its a charity the money must be going to a good charitable cause such as feeding the homeless or such like. I have no reason to believe someone is benefiting from this charitable work.

Is it a charity? I don't think it is registered as such (with Revenue). Open to correction.

Advertisement